Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child support help in Australia??

Child support help in Australia??

Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Unhappy Child support help in Australia??

After reading on another section of the forum, I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice....For over a year my ex husband and all his family has constantly been supportive even expressly wanting us to go, and telling us to hurry up and book the flights!!! We booked our flights last week!(), to be told after by my ex husband that he now intends to stop paying me any child support when we go to Australia. It looks as though (and has been implied this was always his intention) they have all been trying to get us out of the UK for just this reason! I originally had a CSA agreement for £90 per week in 2000, but I called off the CSA and made a voluntary agreement for £55 per week (as my ex was buying a new house with his new partner and they could not afford the mortgage otherwise)....he reduced this in 2005 to only £39 per week....and now he wont pay anything! Sorry if it sounds awful but I now have 2 children under two with my new partner also. Does the Australian CSA chase the UK parent for the child support or would we have to try taking him to court from Australia???? As his new partner is a solicitor and can do any legal work for free, he has said he will drag out the process till we run out of money(!)

Last edited by Speargun; Dec 9th 2007 at 12:32 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child support help in Australia??

Sounds like a charmer

Would suggest you call CSA and ask them. Theres been a few threads along these lines so a search may give you some of the answers. I know Australian CSA will enforce a UK CSA order, but not sure if it works the other way round.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:13 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I would try to get something in writing before you go.

I've heard that child support can be enforced in Australia although if there's no agreement to enforce it could be difficult. No idea how difficult or time consuming all that would be though. I would definitely try and find a more definitive answer, from a lawyer if need be.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by NikiL
Sounds like a charmer

Would suggest you call CSA and ask them. Theres been a few threads along these lines so a search may give you some of the answers. I know Australian CSA will enforce a UK CSA order, but not sure if it works the other way round.

Best of luck.
thanks - you know what sort of waste of time the UK CSA are though! hence our anxiety!!! Only time he wants to see his son is when he wants to 'show him off' at family dos! Even got his new partner to ring up his son to wish him Happy Birthday.....because he was "too busy"!! :curse:
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:43 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, i have been reading the CSA website myself. It hasnt answered all of my questions but it may help.

www.csa.gov.au

Good Luck
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Are you providing the airfares back to UK for the kids to maintain contact with him. That often taken into consideration, if your not providing any contact, or if hes going to be paying the airfares, you might well find a new amount is now applicable to when they lived in the same country.

Sorry no idea if the aus CSA gets involved with overseas, but know its had a lot of press lately how it now favours the non custodial parent, basically from 2008 most payments will be much lower than the % of wage rule that used to apply, so check first if you even want their ruling
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by Speargun
After reading on another section of the forum, I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice....For over a year my ex husband and all his family has constantly been supportive even expressly wanting us to go, and telling us to hurry up and book the flights!!! We booked our flights last week!(), to be told after by my ex husband that he now intends to stop paying me any child support when we go to Australia. It looks as though (and has been implied this was always his intention) they have all been trying to get us out of the UK for just this reason! I originally had a CSA agreement for £90 per week in 2000, but I called off the CSA and made a voluntary agreement for £55 per week (as my ex was buying a new house with his new partner and they could not afford the mortgage otherwise)....he reduced this in 2005 to only £39 per week....and now he wont pay anything! Sorry if it sounds awful but I now have 2 children under two with my new partner also. Does the Australian CSA chase the UK parent for the child support or would we have to try taking him to court from Australia???? As his new partner is a solicitor and can do any legal work for free, he has said he will drag out the process till we run out of money(!)

How old is your child with your ex Husband? Im just trying to work out if your ex will get to see his son/daughter? I maybe wrong in saying this however, if your ex isnt going to see his child from year to year, I wouldnt expect him to pay! I cant believe that the Australia CSA would chase the UK parent especially until you became a citizen.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

info for you: http://www.csa.gov.au/international/uk.aspx#payee

info for your ex: http://www.csa.gov.au/international/uk.aspx#payer2

Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:00 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speargun
The CSA in Australia would not collect monies from the overseas payer, that would be the UK CSA's job but if you dont have any agreement registered, good luck.

Why on earth though, would you volunteer to accept less money when your ex got a mortgage ? He has a responsibility to his children financially and should take this into consideration when house hunting. He sounds like a real charmer.

Once in Australia you could seek an order for child support and going to court, including court fees are nil. If you managed to do this a copy of the order should be sent to uk csa for enforcement/collection on your behalf.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

We pay my OH ex Child Support through CSA AU. This has been arranged for over 9 years now. As my OH pays for all contact (telephone, photo's, any direct contact (airfares etc)) and we also have 2 dependent children here, we pay the minimum amount. This works out to be less than $30 per month. This amount was assessed by CSA AU.

Sorry if you're disappointed but you've got to see the bigger picture and you shouldn't really be relying on your ex's Child Support payments to support you in your new life in OZ. Sorry if it sounds harsh...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:02 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like a lot of hassel for 39 pounds a week.Your making a new start for yourself in a new country.Try to forget about it and move on.Hope you have a great and happy life in Oz.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:46 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have been receiving £7.38 (child support through the CSA) a week off my ex for the last few years (big whoop). Had a phonecall from the CSA on New Year's Eve saying they had been informed that I was emigrating to Australia (no guesses who!!).
The man from the CSA asked me if I realised that I had to inform them of the day I would be leaving the UK as my ex would then be no longer liable to pay child support.........oh and by the way my ex has just gone back on to claiming benefits (on the dole prob) so my £7.38 has now been reduced to £0 :curse:
So I know from the horses mouth itself that I cannot have any child support payments when I leave the UK for good...........even if it was a crap amount and then reduced to nothing!!!!
I reckon my ex was just checking to see if we had gone to Oz already, as he isn't allowed to contact me due to a restraining order.
Anyway.........hope this helps your original question,
Beth x x
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Hi, I have been receiving £7.38 (child support through the CSA) a week off my ex for the last few years (big whoop). Had a phonecall from the CSA on New Year's Eve saying they had been informed that I was emigrating to Australia (no guesses who!!).
The man from the CSA asked me if I realised that I had to inform them of the day I would be leaving the UK as my ex would then be no longer liable to pay child support.........oh and by the way my ex has just gone back on to claiming benefits (on the dole prob) so my £7.38 has now been reduced to £0 :curse:
So I know from the horses mouth itself that I cannot have any child support payments when I leave the UK for good...........even if it was a crap amount and then reduced to nothing!!!!
I reckon my ex was just checking to see if we had gone to Oz already, as he isn't allowed to contact me due to a restraining order.
Anyway.........hope this helps your original question,
Beth x x
Might possibly be true. But not all government employees know the rules, especially if they're complex.

I know nothing about the system in either country, so I can't even comment. I'm just saying that I've seen lots of people on here have their Medicare screwed up because the government employees don't know all the rules and regulations. They could be right, or they could be wrong. If it's to your benefit I'd ask for a second opinion