Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child Maintenance - will we still get it?

Child Maintenance - will we still get it?

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

jo_marnes will become famous soon enoughjo_marnes will become famous soon enough
Default Child Maintenance - will we still get it?

Hi all,

We are moving in March on a 475 (temporary visa). I am wondering whether we will still receive child maintenance payments from my ex?

We don't speak anymore so it is all done through CSA. Their website says that they won't accept claims from parents living abroad, but our claim has already been made and is set up. So I'm not sure where we stand? Especially as we are only temporary residents and still British Citizens.

If I don't tell the CSA will they know I have moved anyway? Will they know via tax details? And if so, will they stop the claim?

I am not planning on shutting my UK bank account which it is paid into. If we were to still receive it I would simply keep it there for the future. I just wouldn't want to be breaking the law or made to pay it back.

I just want to point out that my ex does know I am taking his child to Oz, lol!!

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks,

Jo xx
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

fedup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Child Maintenance - will we still get it?

Originally Posted by jo_marnes
Hi all,

We are moving in March on a 475 (temporary visa). I am wondering whether we will still receive child maintenance payments from my ex?

We don't speak anymore so it is all done through CSA. Their website says that they won't accept claims from parents living abroad, but our claim has already been made and is set up. So I'm not sure where we stand? Especially as we are only temporary residents and still British Citizens.

If I don't tell the CSA will they know I have moved anyway? Will they know via tax details? And if so, will they stop the claim?

I am not planning on shutting my UK bank account which it is paid into. If we were to still receive it I would simply keep it there for the future. I just wouldn't want to be breaking the law or made to pay it back.

I just want to point out that my ex does know I am taking his child to Oz, lol!!

Thanks,

Jo xx
hi there i would contact the csa and tell them about your situation, any goverment agencie will know you have left the country and i wouldnt recommend you not telling them one because its illegal and two austrailia is expensive and if you had to pay the money back your living costs might well i think you know ..... its best to be safe
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

jo_marnes will become famous soon enoughjo_marnes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fedup
hi there i would contact the csa and tell them about your situation, any goverment agencie will know you have left the country and i wouldnt recommend you not telling them one because its illegal and two austrailia is expensive and if you had to pay the money back your living costs might well i think you know ..... its best to be safe
Well is it illegal? Thats what I was trying to work out. Where does it say that it's against the law? Its not that I'm cheating anyone out of money. A parent has a responsibility for their child, it shouldn't matter where they are in the world.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Well is it illegal? Thats what I was trying to work out. Where does it say that it's against the law? Its not that I'm cheating anyone out of money. A parent has a responsibility for their child, it shouldn't matter where they are in the world.
I don't know about the legality, but certainly ethically you have an obligation to tell them your change of circumstances.

Look on their website, they have full details about one parent who lives overseas as does Australian CSA's website.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

From the CSA website:
http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/setup/remo-countries.asp
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

fedup is an unknown quantity at this point

its illegal not to tell them you was moving country witch is what you said in your post!!!!!!!! i didnt say you could nt go to aus and i didnt say you would nt get any money i told you to ring them for advise as in my line of work i know its illegal not to tell them that you have moved ........

Also you may need to check that you can take your children from the country without your ex partners permission even though he doesnt see his children he still surports them ( though the csa i know ) but its still surporting them so you may have to go to court to get a full parental order there is another post on this site about this infomation but its worth checking out everything other wise your dreams could be shattered regards

Last edited by fedup; Jan 3rd 2009 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:18 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

When my niece left England to live in Australia the CSA told my brother he did not have to pay child support as his ex had taken the child away, if he had moved abroad then that was different and the payments would still have to be made.
I have just double checked with my Mum and she said he never paid anything for the time she was in Australia.