Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child Care work in Australia

Child Care work in Australia

Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:26 am
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough
Default Child Care work in Australia

Wonder if anyone can help. My wife is looking to resume her career as a childcare worker once the little one starts school next year. She has made enquiries as to whether her NVQ Level 3 in Childcare and Education qualification corresponds with Australian qualifications, but there seems to be some confusion. Is there anyone who is working as a qualified childcare worker, in Australia, with the same qualification as my wife? Not sure if there is different criteria in each state, but she would be looking to work in Melbourne.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future
Default Re: Child Care work in Australia

Originally Posted by Carl B
Wonder if anyone can help. My wife is looking to resume her career as a childcare worker once the little one starts school next year. She has made enquiries as to whether her NVQ Level 3 in Childcare and Education qualification corresponds with Australian qualifications, but there seems to be some confusion. Is there anyone who is working as a qualified childcare worker, in Australia, with the same qualification as my wife? Not sure if there is different criteria in each state, but she would be looking to work in Melbourne.
Hi

Only have limited experience (vacation child care work and some work with disabled children) but what I can gather is that it would be best if you could get the Australian equivalent of the NVQ which would be a certificate 3 or 4 (you will have to check) in Childcare. You would probably be able to apply for RPL (recognition of prior learning) which may result in you not actually having to do the course but just paying for the equivalent certificate. Most TAFEs I would expect would be able to give you a little more information on this - perhaps email the TAFe nearest to where you are planning to live would be a good idea. It may be that a Child Care centre would be happy with your English qualifications but it may put you at a disadvantage. however there do seem to be lots of child care facilities and I have seen plenty of job ads in the local paper for jobs in this field. Maybe if there is a shortage they are more liable to consider your english quals and there will be no need for messing about!!!!!!!!

All the best - BTW where are you planning to settle???

Sarah
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

All the best - BTW where are you planning to settle???

Sarah[/QUOTE]

Durrrr - i just read it again and I see you are headed for Melbourne!!!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:41 am
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, been here for just over six months.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

She should be ok with NVQ III.

http://tinyurl.com/bz6n2
state reqs for childcare quals.

when you get here go to these people to get the pice of paper that says it is equiv to Aus.

http://www.earlychildhoodvictoria.or...Qualifications

Wife's a qualified childcare worker any questions fire away.

Ian
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:58 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Child Care work in Australia

Just been on this site, really informative, as I am a special needs teaching assistant for children with cognition and communication difficulties. I'm going to get my references together with qualifications and get certified!
Thanks very much Ebo 1608. J x
Old Feb 25th 2006, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Hello
Long time no see lol

I have city and guilds in family and commnity care.
I have just sent them off to see what there are in au.
I can work has a nanny in the uk but i am not sure if i can work in a day care.
It was a 2 year course in the uk 11 years ago.
Just was seeing if anyone has do this cousre in the uk and help me.

Thank you

ann marie
Old Feb 25th 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carl B
Carl
I looked into this last year. I had a problem with my qualification NNEB because it was older than 1993. several poster had helpful info on Britvics - (just to confuse you I'm 'Leh' - hel backwards- on that thread?!)http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...?showtopic=590
ebo has 'been there done that'!
good luck hope your wife sorts something out.
Helinuk
Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

ebo has 'been there done that'!

Yep. Got fed up of wife asking why her pre-93 NNEB that had seen her work on special care, maternity wards, schools with 4/5 year olds, look after an autistic 8 year old who was always trying to nut her (she's only 5' 0"), was not good enough for Aus.

Phoned the MD of CACHE in UK and pointed out what was considered to be the pre-eminent qualification for childcare in the UK meant nothing here. Nice letter from Richard and wife happily qualified childcare worker with loads more responsibility and not much more pay. No, I can't do anything about that.

There was only a problem with pre-93 NNEB, post-93 UK childcare quals are on the list.

Ian