Reload this Page >

Child Care Costs ?

Child Care Costs ?

Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

shella_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Care Costs ?

Hi

Im trying to work out our budget and whether we can afford this move or not. OH will be earning considerably less than in UK so I will definately have to work so im trying to find out how much (roughly) childcare costs to see whether it is financially worth me going to work.

I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old (although they will probably be more like 2 and 4 by the time we get there) and I would be looking at say 3 days a week.

We are probably going to Brisbane although Adelaide is also a possiblity.

Many thanks.

Michelel
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:04 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Child Care Costs ?

Originally Posted by shella_n
Hi

Im trying to work out our budget and whether we can afford this move or not. OH will be earning considerably less than in UK so I will definately have to work so im trying to find out how much (roughly) childcare costs to see whether it is financially worth me going to work.

I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old (although they will probably be more like 2 and 4 by the time we get there) and I would be looking at say 3 days a week.

We are probably going to Brisbane although Adelaide is also a possiblity.

Many thanks.

Michelel
I'd plan on about $40-50 a day per child for one day. That's the full price although you could subtract any subsidies from Centrelink. They will pay a percentage of the fee depending on how much you and your husband make, the minimum they will contribute is about 16% I think (as that's what we get). You might also pay less for having them in for 3 days too.

I'm in Brisbane and paid $48 per day for my daughter. This was last year and she was 3 at the time and she was only in one day a week. If she went 2 days I think it would have been $44 a day. We only got the minimum subsidy so it didn't take off too much.

Without knowing how much you'd get from Centrelink or the discounts for doing multiple days that's as close as I can get you. The figure I quoted would be a maximum for you so hopefully it would be less.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

shella_n is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great. Thanks for that. So if I budget $100 a day - it should be less that but at least that will be a max. Now just need towork out much I will make per day !sigh! This is all such hard work - will be worth it though
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:43 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yah I would think $100 per day would do it. If you decide to move to Sydney it could be a lot more.

But I would think that Brisbane and Adelaide would be about the same.

What is it that you do? Have you tried looking at www.seek.com.au to check out the jobs and look for pay rates, etc?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I just recently did a ring around for someone coming to Canberra and without subsidies the going rate is $320 a week here for a central child care centre. Probably an indication of the level of demand and also the level of disposable income for the high earning Canberrans.