Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child Car Seats - buy (or not) prior to arrival

Child Car Seats - buy (or not) prior to arrival

Old Nov 1st 2012, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default Child Car Seats - buy (or not) prior to arrival

Hi

We're moving to Melbourne in January and will need to buy new car seats for little ones (ages 3 and 4.5) as I understand the UK ones won't be legal.

Trying to get as much organised before we go, so would it be feasible to order new seats online and get them delivered to a friends address in Oz? Or would we be better to go somewhere when we arrive for advice and to get them fitted? What does everyone else do?

Depending on answers does anyone have any
a) website recommendations, or
b) 'Mothercare' shop equivalents?

Thanks for your help.

Judy
Old Nov 1st 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Car Seats - buy (or not) prior to arrival

My advice is to first check the RACV website for information on child restraints, and when you do have child restraints (and a car) make sure to have it fitted properly by someone who is listed as a restraint fitter on the RACV website (or VicRoads if they have that information). It's better to pay the $40 per restraint than not, as something like 70%+ of restraints are fitted incorrectly by people thinking they can do it.

Saying that, I believe Isofix is becoming legal in Australia in 2013 - however it will be a matter of waiting for such restraints approved by Standards, and having a car that is appropriate for this kind of restraint.

On the RACV website, make sure you check the Child Restraint Evaluation Program test results, as child restraints are not made equal in terms of safety. Shouldn't be a problem buying online now with that information to hand, and having it delivered to a friend if they'll accept the delivery. You can then get it fitted once you've got a car.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

The seats have a strap that clicks into a point at the back of the seat, and can only be fitted to the middle row of a car.
We got ours from Baby Bunting. They are all over the city and were very helpful. My daughter was 5 when we got it and it's more sturdy than her UK seat and she is very happy in it.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Judy,
Mothercare have actually opened a branch in Melbourne - it is located in the eastern suburbs at Doncaster shopping-town. However they are quite expensive i find. Baby bunting have a good selection but so do babies r us, kmart and target.
From all the research I have done I think Safe'n'sound seem to be the best brand.
Places like baby bunting have special 'fitting' days where they get a qualified fitter to put them in your car for a small fee. Personally once you have observed and had the straps adjusted to the right length etc I find they are easy enough to take out and put back in.
just for info it's worth knowing that the current laws in Victoria mean that you don't need to use a car seat in a taxi for babies- good for eg getting from the airport to wherever you are going..
Old Nov 1st 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh thats spooky, literally just as I was replying Mothercare sent me an email about their current sale. Maybe they heard me saying they were expensive..
Old Nov 1st 2012, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

feed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to allfeed_cantona is a name known to all

Have just gone through this after importing our Astra from the uk.

I understand that although isofix is coming to Oz it will be different to the uk in that you can use the isofix as we know it, but will also need the additional stap and bolt seen on traditional car seats over here. So even though uk isofix seats are safe, they won't be legal or able to be converted.

We've just decided to get a bolt and get a maxi cost from Doncaster!
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

and target sell lots of car seats.

When they have a sale on, they are good value.
I vaguely remember getting our first one for half price. (daughter has grown out of it now)
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mummy3
The seats have a strap that clicks into a point at the back of the seat, and can only be fitted to the middle row of a car.
We got ours from Baby Bunting. They are all over the city and were very helpful. My daughter was 5 when we got it and it's more sturdy than her UK seat and she is very happy in it.
sorry, but you are wrong the car seat we have goes on any of the 3 rear seats .. it must be your car which only has the bar in the middle, it is always safer to put children on the left rear seat of the car
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your replies, very helpful. We'll maybe just wait til we're there and have bought a car before buying. Will have to get seats initially in the hire car anyway.

So much to do and think about. Hubby & I lived in Melbourne before but going back with 2 little ones in tow adds a whole new dimension to things!!

Thanks again.
Judy
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:22 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

at the ages your kids are at, you will require only one car seat with a top tether to attach to the vehicle and a 5 point harness, your 4.5 year old can use a booster seat.
I would probably recommend a Safe and sound maxi rider for your 3 year old as it will last until they are about 6, any high back booster seat will be sufficient for the 4.5 year old.
FYI, Mothercare have opened up in several malls in Melbourne, Chadstone is another location, but I personally wouldn't look there, Kmart, BigW and Target all sell the approved local seats much cheaper than Mothercare do.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora
sorry, but you are wrong the car seat we have goes on any of the 3 rear seats .. it must be your car which only has the bar in the middle, it is always safer to put children on the left rear seat of the car
Yeah? Well what if you dont have a rear seat... like in my ferrari

At least when I get stopped I can say they were playing with my phone.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Yeah? Well what if you dont have a rear seat... like in my ferrari

At least when I get stopped I can say they were playing with my phone.

lol, I know it his horrid when they pull up my leer jet !!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora
I have a car with 3 rows, the rear row that folds into the boot doesnt have the hook to fix the seat in place, so I couldnt if I wanted to. However the lady at Baby Bunting told me not to put a childseat in the boot seats.

Please dont tell me I am wrong, i would prefer mistaken if you know otherwise. I have never told a member of this forum so blatantley that they are wrong.