Child Car Seats

Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Child Car Seats

Me again!

Bit confused on car seats, currently my 7 year olds is on booster seat and my 5 year old in a booster with a back on.
Would these be legal in Australia?
Would I need to bring them straight away? Can I bring them on a plane?

I have read the laws which would indicate that my 9 year old as in the uk wouldn't need one?

Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:37 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of
Default Re: Child Car Seats

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Me again!

Bit confused on car seats, currently my 7 year olds is on booster seat and my 5 year old in a booster with a back on.
Would these be legal in Australia?
Would I need to bring them straight away? Can I bring them on a plane?

I have read the laws which would indicate that my 9 year old as in the uk wouldn't need one?

Thanks
Your UK seats are not legal in Australia, so you will need to buy Australian versions. Here is the link on Queensland's law.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Dri...restraint.aspx

It is slightly different from state to state. For me, I will rent a baby seat with my hire car and it will cost $6.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Thank you, thats what I suspected.
So another thing to add to purchase list!!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, thats what I suspected.
So another thing to add to purchase list!!
Check the Vicroads website under safety & rules, vehicle safety, child restraints.
This is from their FAQ
Can we use a child restraint or booster seat from overseas?
No. Child restraints and booster seats purchased overseas do not comply with the Australian Standard for child restraints: AS/NZS 1754. This standard is one of the most stringent child restraint standards in the world. Unlike the European Standard, the Australian standard requires all restraints to be tested in side and rear impact tests and some with inverted test for roll-over protection.

When buying your child’s restraint, look for the standard’s sticker on the restraint and wording on the package that states it complies with AS/NZS 1754.

Child restraints that meet the standards released in 1991, 1995, 2000, 2004 and 2010 are legal and can be used in motor vehicles in Victoria.

The VicRoads restraint product tables list the approved child restraints and approved booster seats available to purchase.

Last edited by elice_in_oz; Mar 11th 2012 at 10:57 am.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:36 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Our 2 are much younger 3mths & 4.5yrs.

BTW - I worked as a crash test/ design engineer for 2 years, with seat belts and airbags etc.

We had always used our maxicosi seats (dutch) much better designs than allot of the overpriced stuff on the market here.

However we have been using a good ozzy one for the past 6mths for my 4.5yr old, with full harness, etc, etc. It took allot of research, but I can be nerdy about these things!

Anyway my choice and I realise I was & I am breaking the law, and if anything was to happen it would be on my conscious. I have been stopped by the local police, but they have never noticed.

Also you can normally store the seats as hold luggage free of charge and it doesn't take away from you allowance kg.

Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:18 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hoolio1972
Our 2 are much younger 3mths & 4.5yrs.

BTW - I worked as a crash test/ design engineer for 2 years, with seat belts and airbags etc.

We had always used our maxicosi seats (dutch) much better designs than allot of the overpriced stuff on the market here.

However we have been using a good ozzy one for the past 6mths for my 4.5yr old, with full harness, etc, etc. It took allot of research, but I can be nerdy about these things!

Anyway my choice and I realise I was & I am breaking the law, and if anything was to happen it would be on my conscious. I have been stopped by the local police, but they have never noticed.

Also you can normally store the seats as hold luggage free of charge and it doesn't take away from you allowance kg.

Heard that you cannot claim insurance if you are using unapproved ones.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2O
You can claim but if a child is injured in a crash whilst sitting in a non Australian approved car seat, the Insurance Company can refuse to pay out. Also if the car seat has been attached in such a way that could possibly be shown to have compromised the car they will also be able to refuse a claim. Let's face it Insurance companies will find any loophole possible to not pay out. As for whether anyone has had a claim refused because of their foreign car seat, who knows??????
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:39 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Something else that isnt made to suit Australian conditions. The sooner there is a universal standard the better.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Something else that isnt made to suit Australian conditions. The sooner there is a universal standard the better.
Not going to happen. Doesn't exist for anything else, why should car seats be any different.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:31 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Paul2O
Yip I know that's a possibility - its the risk I take, I know they are safe. Insurance company's don't pay out easy any how, lol
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

What about lap belts with the older child as not many used cars look like they have 3x3 seat belts in the back
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We used illegal British car seats (1-4yo seats) for 2 years. Police never noticed, we did however never have to make an insurance claim thank goodness.

There are lap belts in all cars big enough to seat 3 people in the rear.

Booster seats can be bought very cheaply here.

BB
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Would my 7 year old need one there? Do you know how much the ones for a 5 year old cost?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Would my 7 year old need one there?
Here is info on child seats from VicRoads.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Child Car Seats

Would my 7 year old need one there? Do you know how much the ones for a 5 year old cost?
A 7 year old does not have to have one by law, but it is recommended. A 5 year old seat from KMart is about $80 (so Mrs Buzzy tells me)

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.