Child Car Seat

Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Child Car Seat

Dear all,

Could you guys in Australia please provide me with some details od the car seat regulation over there??

1. I understand that car seat for kids between 0 to 4 years must have a LATCH. It would be deemed illegal to utilise a car seat with the LATCH... Is this correct??

2. It was also made known to me that all front facing car seats must have the ISOFIX belt. Is this correct?? Can we still use seats without the 2 ISOFIX belt?? I do not think all cars in Australia (specially the older ones) will have the mount on the rear seat to accommodate the ISOFIX belts.

Thanks. Dave
Old Nov 18th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Car Seat

Hi Dave,

I don't think the ISOFIX ones from the UK are legal as I think Britax are the only company that make them in the UK and I seem to remember someone rang them to ask and they said they were only legal in the UK. Most people I know here are still using UK seats even though they are not legal. They are as safe as they were when you were using them in the UK and I don't think a policeman would even notice if they stopped you. If you want a legal seat you are best to buy one here. Most cars here have the thing to fix the extra strap to.

Hope this helps

Jo
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:36 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi Dave,

I don't think the ISOFIX ones from the UK are legal as I think Britax are the only company that make them in the UK and I seem to remember someone rang them to ask and they said they were only legal in the UK. Most people I know here are still using UK seats even though they are not legal. They are as safe as they were when you were using them in the UK and I don't think a policeman would even notice if they stopped you. If you want a legal seat you are best to buy one here. Most cars here have the thing to fix the extra strap to.

Hope this helps

Jo
Jo we asked our Toyota dealer and insurance company "Vero". Both claimed our insurance would be invalid if we had an accident and it was found we were using illegal car seats. If there was injury to the child we would also be up on a criminal charge.

And yes we left 2 newly purchased car seats (Maxi Cosi XP Over £100 each) in the UK.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid it's a case of having to buy new seats here - the ones in the UK are just not legal - and as someone has pointed out it could invalidate your insurance.

If older cars do not have the latching point fitted it is easy to get that sorted - we looked at a Triumph Stag when we first got here and they had had one put into that. Bottom line is you MUST have the legal seats.

Hope that helps

Rudi

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Dear all,

Could you guys in Australia please provide me with some details od the car seat regulation over there??

1. I understand that car seat for kids between 0 to 4 years must have a LATCH. It would be deemed illegal to utilise a car seat with the LATCH... Is this correct??

2. It was also made known to me that all front facing car seats must have the ISOFIX belt. Is this correct?? Can we still use seats without the 2 ISOFIX belt?? I do not think all cars in Australia (specially the older ones) will have the mount on the rear seat to accommodate the ISOFIX belts.

Thanks. Dave
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice

Hi All,

I beleive that the real issue is not wether the seat is a UK seat or an Austrailian seat but actualy that the UK seats have not been assessed by the agencies in OZ to verifiy the suitability and safety of the seats, so basicaly no standards mark has been applied to the UK seats that the OZ's recognise even though the UK seats may even be better than others that you will see else where.

GreenTea