Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit Whilst On 457 In Oz?

Child Benefit Whilst On 457 In Oz?

Old Feb 26th 2005, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice
Question Child Benefit Whilst On 457 In Oz?

Hi All,

Does anybody know whether whilst on a 457 visa for initially a 2 year period I will be entitled to either:

a) continue receiving child benefit from the UK or;

b) be entitled to the Aussie equivalent over there?

Much obliged x

WHEEZY
Old Feb 26th 2005, 2:00 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Child Benefit Whilst On 457 In Oz?

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi All,

Does anybody know whether whilst on a 457 visa for initially a 2 year period I will be entitled to either:

Much obliged x

WHEEZY
Pretty sure you're not entitled to it in Oz, not sure about UK, but prob. not!
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi All,

Much obliged x

WHEEZY
Why are you planning to spend 2 years on a 457?

I doubt you get Australian benefit on a 457 (it's called Family Tax Benefit) - but check for yourself at http://www.centrelink.gov.au

As regards UK benefit, I doubt that continues for long once you are resident overseas - http://www.dwp.gov.uk should have the details.

Jeremy
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

robyn01 will become famous soon enough

Hi
I was at centrelink yesterday and i was asking about when my fiancee moves here if we would be entitled to any benifits or will we have to wait the 2 years and the girl told me it all depends on the visa number..........
Now excuse my blondness i didnt realise till i read your thread that they have a number my fiancee is coming on a fiancee visa and i thought that was pretty straight forward but she said it would have a number.......so what visa are you coming into oz on to be numbered 457?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why are you planning to spend 2 years on a 457?

I doubt you get Australian benefit on a 457 (it's called Family Tax Benefit) - but check for yourself at http://www.centrelink.gov.au

As regards UK benefit, I doubt that continues for long once you are resident overseas - http://www.dwp.gov.uk should have the details.

Jeremy
Thanks for the links Jeremy.

Husband has been offered a job in CBD Sydney, they sponser him on a 457 initially for 2 years with a view to extend should they (the company and hubby) be mutually agreeable. Also, I have to tell myself and everybody else we are only going for 2 years, makes it easier for me to accept. However, I know hubby has other ideas!!!
Old Feb 26th 2005, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I can say with all certainty the answer is no.

We have 2 nippers. The eldest has just started school. The whammy there is that as a 457 holder in NSW yo'll have to pay for school - $4500 per year paid up front.

Must speak to the wife about that drink up. we may have info u need.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

As Rich said, no FTB (child benefit) on a 457 visa.

Robyn - a 457 visa is a business visa, different subclasses to it, but they are all business visas. Your fiancees will be a prospective spouse visa.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi there,

Once you have left the Uk, there is no entiltlement to the UK's Child Benefit.
the only time you are eligible to continue to claim is if the move is just a visit, perhaps visiting a sick relative.
However there are many that I know that continue to claim their child benefit, and smugly arranging for the money to continue to be paid into their UK bank acount!!!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 6:08 am
Just Joined

robyn01 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
As Rich said, no FTB (child benefit) on a 457 visa.

Robyn - a 457 visa is a business visa, different subclasses to it, but they are all business visas. Your fiancees will be a prospective spouse visa.

Thanks Mrs Dagboy I thought that but i was abit confused on the 457 what visa that was........Im the Australian and hoping to get my fiancee into Australia for good next time so fingers crossed everyone if not the UK may have to be my home.....
Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Hi there,

Once you have left the Uk, there is no entiltlement to the UK's Child Benefit.
the only time you are eligible to continue to claim is if the move is just a visit, perhaps visiting a sick relative.
However there are many that I know that continue to claim their child benefit, and smugly arranging for the money to continue to be paid into their UK bank acount!!!
Thanks Sandra,

Bit too risky for me to do that being as hubby is a lawyer!!!! Shame thou' the money would have come in handy for those expensive dental bills!!

WHEEZY