Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit & Tax Credits (UK)

Child Benefit & Tax Credits (UK)

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light
Question Child Benefit & Tax Credits (UK)

Hi, Do I just write to these and tell them when we're leaving? I get really confused by the tax credits as I'm sure many people do but I assume this is all I need to do.

Thanks

Tasha x
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to all
Default Re: Child Benefit & Tax Credits (UK)

I would say "yes" just to keep yourself straight.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 4Reids
Hi, Do I just write to these and tell them when we're leaving? I get really confused by the tax credits as I'm sure many people do but I assume this is all I need to do.

Thanks

Tasha x
Yes you need to let them know you're leaving and they will stop paying your tax credits. However, bizarrely you still need to fill in the renewals form at the end of the tax year to give final details of your income/childcare costs and they then work out any "adjustments" in payment..... so make sure you give them a forwarding address.....
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 4:56 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Yes you need to let them know you're leaving and they will stop paying your tax credits. However, bizarrely you still need to fill in the renewals form at the end of the tax year to give final details of your income/childcare costs and they then work out any "adjustments" in payment..... so make sure you give them a forwarding address.....

Or in our case to work out that they have over paid you!!! My advice, DONT give them a forwarding address!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Hi,

TELL them your leaving and cancel it.

Make sure you get a summary before you leave, and dont tell them anything, if you know your infront.

Its easy for you to owe. then them to owe you.

If you come back you still have to pay, trust me, we niavely didnt think it mattered, so havent been paid CB for a year now.

I do know some expats leave and still claim, this government is totally wnk with anything.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:35 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

When we leave we won't have a forwarding address as such..

I just plan to tell them that we are going in advance and when we will be going and then we will be closing our current account.. they will have to like it or lump it..

The IR have so many red tapes, it can be unbelievable!

Em x
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Bonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to all

I HATE those ruddy forms
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

I phoned them up and told them. They said some one will contact me, well they'd better hurry up I'm leaving in less than 2 weeks!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Monty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to all

I just rang both the Child Benefit and Child Tax Office people before the day before we left! The Child Benefit stopped, but I am not sure what has happened with the child tax credits as they sent a new award letter out???!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:49 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
i rang both. child benefit is supposedly going to stop the monday after we leave but i had to put everything in writing to the tax credit office as i was told they wouldn't accept an order to stop over the phone.
also u have to fill in a P85 form to inform the inland revenue - so u should get a refund if u leave part way through a tax year - it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to pay back any money they owe you
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thewoodz
Hi
i rang both. child benefit is supposedly going to stop the monday after we leave but i had to put everything in writing to the tax credit office as i was told they wouldn't accept an order to stop over the phone.
also u have to fill in a P85 form to inform the inland revenue - so u should get a refund if u leave part way through a tax year - it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to pay back any money they owe you
From my experience, the IR tend to pay you any outstanding monies fairly quickly and sometimes interest!

Personally I plan to send a letter to them as soon as I know my leaving date and then tell them that the bank accounts will be closed..

Hopefully that will be sufficient and if it is not, then I suppose I won't be around to deal with IR or their pathetic red tape! My accountant said that IR have a response rate of approx 3 months!!!! But when they phone him for info, he has to respond within 48hrs!!

talk about double standards!?!! :curse:

Em x
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

struth is on a distinguished road

i wrote to both giving 6 weeks notice of leaving, i have heard nothing from the child benefit but have a letter from the tax credits asking me to phone them the day before i leave and they will amend my claim - like i'll have nothing else to do that day
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:04 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We phoned both and told them we were leaving the country, the child benefit got stopped ok, however the tax credit was still being paid. I phoned them again and again told them I had left the country, the bloke told me I would have to send in my P60 otherwise they would look on me as having been overpaid for the whole of the last year as I hadn`t filled out my change of circumstance form (I`d been told by them I didn`t need to) and I would have to repay them all the money I`d received from last year. Im still awaiting a letter from them - Im also still awaiting my tax back after sending in my P85 back at the beginning of July, again I`ve phoned them and they say they have a backlog.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:19 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
From my experience, the IR tend to pay you any outstanding monies fairly quickly and sometimes interest!

Personally I plan to send a letter to them as soon as I know my leaving date and then tell them that the bank accounts will be closed..

Hopefully that will be sufficient and if it is not, then I suppose I won't be around to deal with IR or their pathetic red tape! My accountant said that IR have a response rate of approx 3 months!!!! But when they phone him for info, he has to respond within 48hrs!!

talk about double standards!?!! :curse:

Em x

Are you talking about the same revenue dept?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:11 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

We rang a couple of weeks before we left the UK (so about mid July this year) and the tax credit was worked out no problem - just one bank draft sent out with the balance of a few pounds which they owed us. The child benefit people sent us a form to complete a couple of days before we left so I returned this and have not heard anything (or received any money!) since.

Fingers crossed they have got it right this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.