Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

child benefit/tax credit

child benefit/tax credit

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:59 am
Account Closed

pamela21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default child benefit/tax credit

can anyone tell me when you can make a claim for child benefit and tax credit? is it after two years and can you get any help if you are earning under $30.000 ayear with young children. also do any dentist or opticians bulk bill over here instead of having to have the cash up front all the time?

Forgot to ask as well. i want to open a bank account for money to go in so can anyone suggests a good one that doesn't charge a monthly fee or any fees?. i already have one with west pac but it is a joint account, i would like one of my own.

Last edited by pamela21; Sep 23rd 2009 at 3:07 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child benefit/tax credit

Originally Posted by pamela21
can anyone tell me when you can make a claim for child benefit and tax credit? is it after two years and can you get any help if you are earning under $30.000 ayear with young children. also do any dentist or opticians bulk bill over here instead of having to have the cash up front all the time?

Forgot to ask as well. i want to open a bank account for money to go in so can anyone suggests a good one that doesn't charge a monthly fee or any fees?. i already have one with west pac but it is a joint account, i would like one of my own.
For child benefit answers
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/
http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/19187.htm
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...t/00180055.htm

Opticians bulk bill
Free dentistry is only available to health care card holders
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:38 am
ABCDiamond

can anyone tell me when you can make a claim for child benefit and tax credit? is it after two years and can you get any help if you are earning under $30.000 ayear with young children.
A PR can claim immediately.

And people earning up to about $100,000 can claim something.

An average wage earner may get about $100pw

A few examples from last year:

Family with 1 child between 5 and 13
Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $183.96 per fortnight or $4,782 per year. (Tax Free)
Family with one child under 5
Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000:
Possible Family Assistance of $48.30 per fortnight or $1,255 per year. (Tax Free)
Family with 3 children between 5 and 13,
Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000:
Possible Family Assistance of $306.46 per fortnight or $7,967 per year. (Tax Free)

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:41 am
ABCDiamond

Ask for another account with Westpac, and request the free account for the FTB to be paid into it.

Alternatively HSBC is a fee free account.

Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:02 am
Account Closed

pamela21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A PR can claim immediately.

And people earning up to about $100,000 can claim something.

An average wage earner may get about $100pw

A few examples from last year:
i thought you can only claim after two years not before because of our visa?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

i thought you can only claim after two years not before because of our visa?
If you have a permanent resident visa you can claim Family Tax Benefit A and B (including rent assistance), Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate straight away. They are not subject to the 2 year waiting period.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ed.htm#waiting

You can also claim the Net medical expenses tax offset which enable you to get a 20% tax rebate for almost all medical expenses over $1500. You also qualify for the medical safety net.

You can also claim single parent payments if you became a single parent after emigrating....ie I think the 2 year waiting period is waived. In this case you would also get pension card including access to cheaper medical.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 24th 2009 at 4:30 am.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:26 am
ABCDiamond

i dont get any ftb so what free account do you mean please?
FTB (Family Tax Benefit) = child benefit and tax credit

Westpac will know which account.

Westpac Basic:
A low-cost everyday transaction account for customers in receipt of a government pension or benefit who need their monies deposited directly into a bank account.
  • No monthly service fee
  • Unlimited transactions, across Westpac branches, Westpac Group branded ATMs

Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jovipk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by fish.01
If you have a permanent resident visa you can claim Family Tax Benefit A and B (including rent assistance), Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate straight away. They are not subject to the 2 year waiting period.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ed.htm#waiting

You can also claim the Net medical expenses tax offset which enable you to get a 20% tax rebate for almost all medical expenses over $1500. You also qualify for the medical safety net.

You can also claim single parent payments if you became a single parent after emigrating....ie I think the 2 year waiting period is waived. In this case you would also get pension card including access to cheaper medical.
Hi Fish,

i am confused about the term Rent assistance, and difference between Child care benifit and rebate, appreciate if u give some more insight on it.

Thx
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jovipk
Hi Fish,

i am confused about the term Rent assistance, and difference between Child care benifit and rebate, appreciate if u give some more insight on it.

Thx
Rent Assistance
---------------

Rent Assistance is a govt payment to help pay your private rent. There are various ways you may be eligible which I have re-printed below. Note that one of them is if you have dependent children and get more than the base rate of Family Tax Benefit. Because Family Tax Benefit does not have a 2 year waiting period Rent Assistance doesn't either if you qualify though Family Tax Benefit.

You may be eligible for Rent Assistance if you:

- receive a pension (special rules apply if you are under 21 years and receive Disability Support Pension), or
- have dependent children and get more than the base rate of Family Tax Benefit, or
- have care of a child between 14% and 35% of the time and are not eligible for Family Tax Benefit but meet other Family Tax Benefit requirements, or
- receive an allowance or benefit (but don't have dependent children) and:
are over 25 years, or
- have a partner, or are under 25 and living permanently or indefinitely apart from your parents or guardians.

To receive Rent Assistance you must also meet the residence requirements of your pension, allowance, or benefit.

For more on Rent Assistance see Rent Assistance

Difference between Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate
----------------------------------------------------------

When you use a child care provider they charge you an hourly/daily rate. Child Care Benefit (CCB) is an amount the govt reduces that rate for you. You can take the reduction straight away and pay the child care provider less, or pay the provider the full amount and claim the CCB at the end of the year.

The amount you end up paying yourself after receiving CCB is known as out of pocket expenses.

Out of pocket expenses = Total Charged - Child Care Benefit

eg. Out of pocket expenses = $11000 - $4000

So out of pocket expenses is $7000.

To help reduce out of pocket expenses the govt also pays you a Child Care Rebate (CCR). This is paid at 50% of your out of pocket expenses (up to a total of $7,778 per child). You can claim Child Care Rebate quarterly or at the end of the year.

Child Care Rebate = Out of pocket expenses divided by 2

eg. Child Care Rebate = $7000 divided by 2

So Child Care Rebate is $3500.

So the final cost to you is:

Final Cost = Total Charged - Child Care Benefit - Child Care Rebate

eg. Final Cost = $11000 - $4000 - $3500

So Final Cost to you is $3500.

For more on Child Care Benefit see CCB

For more on Child Care Rebate see CCR

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 24th 2009 at 2:21 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

When we registered with Centerlink they told us we were entitled to rent assistance, i mentioned that i thought we were not entitled to a cent until we had been here for 2 yrs, How wrong i was they took my phone number and called me back the next day asking me to bring in my rental contract, can't remember the exact details but they back dated payments for our rent, i think it was roughly half the rent we paid as we were PR. Very helpful at a time when most needed. In hind sight we should have kept renting and not bought

John
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

wishing will become famous soon enough

Hello, so could i just ask where me and my family stand, on a state sponsor in WA, i have had a look on the goverment site but can not find any clear answer.
Hope some one can set me stright
Many thanks
steve..
Old Sep 25th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thx Fish for your detail briefing about Rent assistance and Child care benifit, opps my son is now 7 years, i cant claim for CCB or CCR, but Rent assistance is really a helpful, i have gone through the link u provided, what i understand that if anyone having PR can get this benifit, but how say a couple with 1 or 2 children, The maximum amount of Rent Assistance per fortnight is $131.32 and $368.71 The maximum amount of Rent Assistance is paid if your fortnightly rent is more than $193.62. as per centrelink website link, so assume my fortnight rent is $ 800 which is > $193.62 minimum rent so i will get the amount $368.71 as per condition and hence the total rent i will pay fortnightly from my pocket will be 800 - 368.71 = $ 431.29 , plz correct me if i taking it wrong.
Will i be still legible for other benifits apart from this rent assistance, CCB anad CCR.

Thx!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

Hi Guys

If you are on a 457 visa can you claim child benifit,or help toward education costs?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nevsy
Hi Guys

If you are on a 457 visa can you claim child benifit,or help toward education costs?
No Child Benefits, but maybe Education depending on what State you are in.

Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

What about Rent assistance for PR in Aus, is their obligation of 2 years waiting period for it,

Thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.