Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit- Oz rates

Child Benefit- Oz rates

Old Dec 27th 2003, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Child Benefit- Oz rates

Out of interest anyone know what the rates are of the Australian equivalent of Child Benefit?
Old Dec 27th 2003, 6:43 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Benefit- Oz rates

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Out of interest anyone know what the rates are of the Australian equivalent of Child Benefit?

hi,
heres the link to the family tax benefit (hope it still works!!)

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...ents/FTBA.html

have fun!!

Sue
Old Dec 28th 2003, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Thanks for that.
I noticed it is means tested. Dont know wht they dont introduce that here.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 4:53 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Excellent link.

Agree, should introduce means testing for child benefit etc.
Flat rate doesn't seem to work.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it easier to pay every child a fixed payment than pay a whole tier of bureaucracy to sift through and work out payments, plus the people to design, print,distribute and explain the new forms for means tested child benefit.
After all this there would be no money left for the children.

sean
Old Dec 28th 2003, 11:21 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Philanthropist5
Isn't it easier to pay every child a fixed payment than pay a whole tier of bureaucracy to sift through and work out payments, plus the people to design, print,distribute and explain the new forms for means tested child benefit.
After all this there would be no money left for the children.

sean
your probably right.

and you would always get the scammers anyway.

Old Dec 28th 2003, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Interesting you should say that it ought to be means tested. Generally I would agree with that premise, but in my situation I am having to pay around $26,000 (+) in child care fees per annum. We receive nothing in benefit as apparently we earn too much as a couple. If you look at the above amount as a pre tax amount it'll add up to about $35,000.
As my wife is a nurse I pose the question - at what level does this cost become a disincentive to my wife working? And the answer is - the sums make it look like we'd be better off in fiscal terms (and arguably in emotional terms if my wife worked 3 days less per week).
As we were sponsored to live here on the back of my wife's qualification we feel we owe a sense of debt/responsibility/whatever to attempt to continue with her in full time employment.
Currently its safe to say that childcare is swallowing around 60% of my wifes wagesafter tax.

I'd advocate means testing the childcare allowance against the lowest earners wage, and working out what comes from there.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:00 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS

Currently its safe to say that childcare is swallowing around 60% of my wifes wagesafter tax.

my childcare costs here in the uk swallow up 100% plus of my wages as a nurse (£992+27=1019 is nursery + afterschool v. £800 approx after tax take home) - so, something to look forward to then!!!
how many children is yours for RichS?

sue
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
my childcare costs here in the uk swallow up 100% plus of my wages as a nurse (£992+27=1019 is nursery + afterschool v. £800 approx after tax take home) - so, something to look forward to then!!!
how many children is yours for RichS?

sue
These figures make private schooling costs here in OZ seem so cheap!! The local private school works out at just under £1,000 per year. And the expensive one is still only £2,000 per year.

Is child care more expensive than private schooling ?

Old Dec 29th 2003, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes - private school will be cheaper to ansrew your point there.

Sue - my costs are for 2 kids, one 4 and one 2. They are for 3 days in childcare centre + 2 days (of 5 hours) at a child minder.
No afterschool etc necessary as they are both preschool.

Over here they have a big thing about encouraging women (specifically nurses) back to work. the facts seem to be that if the wife stopped work totally we'd get most if not all the childcaer paid for + she'd have a dole out from the govt - we'd be better off that way, but she'd be short a career.

I understand the UK has similar problems, but we don't live there any more so it's not my issue.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember having to fork out all my wages for child care.
I strongly felt that the Government should have subsidised. I was working, paying taxes and NI conts, then paying for child care, which in theory was keeping others in full time employment(The staff at the childcare centre)

Wasnt entitled to a penny in assistance.
We had a gross pay of £28,000 but was paying childcare of £180 per week

Dont have that problem now they are older. Today got up (in the
dark and rain) got ready for work and left the little darlings sound a sleep in bed.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

jaruky is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
can anyone tell me if the Aussie child benefit is available on arrival for migrants?
If so how quick do you get it - and is it backdated to your arrival date?
if not - when is it available from - 2 years like other stuff?
thanks
J
Old Dec 29th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is available immediately - assuming you are a PR not a 457 visa holder. Anything that is not PR is not eligible.
You don't have to wait 2 years, but it will be means tested against your wages. I think the link previously in this posting will tell you exactly how much you'll get dependent on what you earn.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is available immediately - assuming you are a PR not a 457 visa holder. Anything that is not PR is not eligible.
You don't have to wait 2 years, but it will be means tested against your wages. I think the link previously in this posting will tell you exactly how much you'll get dependent on what you earn.