Reload this Page >

child benefit in oz

child benefit in oz

Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default child benefit in oz

hi guys

can anyone help me out on this one. i am a plumber looking into emigrating to the east coast of oz, possibly south coast but i have looked into starting wages and they seem to be paying around $40,000 per year for starters like myself. can anyone tell me if i would receive any child/state benefit as i have 2 children, aged 6 and 8, and the wife would not initially be working until kids are older. is it correct that if you are out of work you are not able to claim benefits for 4 years?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:14 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: child benefit in oz

Hi there, Im under the immpression its for two years not four, however please dont take that as definate. I think that includes all benefits as you wont have contributed. There are some good sites listed on the front page of this forum (highlighted in red) this includes government websites so that maybe your best bet. good luck Dawn
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:20 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi there, Im under the immpression its for two years not four, however please dont take that as definate. I think that includes all benefits as you wont have contributed. There are some good sites listed on the front page of this forum (highlighted in red) this includes government websites so that maybe your best bet. good luck Dawn
Two years for benefits, child benefits straight away
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:26 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the correction Fraser...thats a bonus for me too, cheer hun, bet you cant wait to go, noticed time is getting nearer now!........
Old Jul 12th 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pom plumber
hi guys

can anyone help me out on this one. i am a plumber looking into emigrating to the east coast of oz, possibly south coast but i have looked into starting wages and they seem to be paying around $40,000 per year for starters like myself. can anyone tell me if i would receive any child/state benefit as i have 2 children, aged 6 and 8, and the wife would not initially be working until kids are older. is it correct that if you are out of work you are not able to claim benefits for 4 years?
Check out this thread, there's a great link by ABCDiamond with fantastic info on.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312035
Old Jul 12th 2005, 8:15 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the correction Fraser...thats a bonus for me too, cheer hun, bet you cant wait to go, noticed time is getting nearer now!........
Yeah it's nearly squeaky bum time
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pom plumber
hi guys

Based on your info (Combined Total Adjusted Taxable Income $40,000) you should get about:

Possible Family Assistance of $305.20 per fortnight or $7957.00 per year, Tax Free.

This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $223.16 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $82.04 per fortnight.

Currently, to help reduce the risk of overpayment due to changes to your family income during the financial year, they recommend only claiming $170.24 per fortnight or $4438.40 per year, and then be assessed for any further entitlement after the end of the financial year.

If you are renting, you may also be entitled to Rent Assistance of $95.62 per fortnight, based on a $250 pw rent payment.

Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

[
But they do take into account the income you earnt in the UK and they go from the oz tax year.We came out in sept and had to declare income from july until then.You also need to declare your projected interest earned on savings for the coming tax year.
good luck
donna
Old Jul 13th 2005, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

It is worth checking www.familyassist.gov.au this has a no obligation calculator which you can use for trying different scenarios, I believe if you are renting you may also get some assistance although you would need to check out if this is payable straight away.
Another benefit is Child Care benefit - quite complex as to how the calculations are worked out but basically it gives you discounted child care fees. So long as one of you is working full time you get a discount on up to 20 hours a week, if both are working/ studying you get discount up to 50 hours. To give you an idea of the amount you could save my sons kindy is $40 a day, he goes 4 days a week and I pay around $70 (based on Brisbane costs and a salary of around $50k).
Might also be worth looking at www.ato.gov.au as this will give you a tax estimate calculation so that you can work out an approx take home pay.
Annie
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:39 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Thumbs up Re: child benefit in oz

Hi there, do you have to still wait for two years before you can claim any of the benefits mentioned....thanks again x
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:43 am
ABCDiamond

Hi there, do you have to still wait for two years before you can claim any of the benefits mentioned....thanks again x
The main rule is:

There is no waiting period for family payments which help with the cost of bringing up children.

So Child Care Benefit and Family Tax Benefit (FTB) have no waiting period, nor does Rent Assistance if the claimant also gets FTB.

Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:48 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

wow, is there no end to your knowledge?? been reading through some of your other posts...excellant info, big thanks