Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child benefit etc in Oz

Child benefit etc in Oz

Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:33 am
Just Joined

melbal35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child benefit etc in Oz

Sorry if this is been asked a million times before but - can anyone shed any light on child benefit/family tax credits etc that you're entitled to in Oz? Me and kids (7 &4) are Oz passport holders (boys born in UK though) hubby UK passport holder (but with spouse visa). Are these kinds of benefits dependent on salary? Not asking in order to sponge, just curious as to what, if anything you're entitled to over there...Cheers!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child benefit etc in Oz

Originally Posted by melbal35
Sorry if this is been asked a million times before but - can anyone shed any light on child benefit/family tax credits etc that you're entitled to in Oz? Me and kids (7 &4) are Oz passport holders (boys born in UK though) hubby UK passport holder (but with spouse visa). Are these kinds of benefits dependent on salary? Not asking in order to sponge, just curious as to what, if anything you're entitled to over there...Cheers!

Try this

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/ea3b9a1335df87bcca2569890008040e/4584ea971bb66f34ca256edd007b4fcd!OpenDocument
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Some Example Benefits as at February 2005

Family Tax Benefit (Aus version of Child Benefits):

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $346.22 per fortnight or $9,026.45 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $266.28 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $79.94 per fortnight.

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000
Possible Family Assistance of $128.94 per fortnight or $3,361.65 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $128.94 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $157.64 per fortnight or $4,109.90 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $42.98 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $114.66 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5, Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000
Possible Family Assistance of $42.98 per fortnight or $1,120.55 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $42.98 per fortnight.

Australian Child Benefits

Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

LauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really nice
Smile Re: Child benefit etc in Oz

Originally Posted by melbal35
My daughter and I came over on a Prospective Marriage Visa Sub Class 300 and up until I rang Centrelink just now was under the impression I couldn't claim anything as it's a temporary visa up til we get married, and read on the DIMIA website that we couldn't claim anything for 2 years. I now know this only applies to Income Support and as we're living with an aussie citizen he is able to claim Family Tax Benefit/Child Benefit for us, at least til I start work and possibly after dependant on total household income, as it's means tested.
Apparently if you both have permanent visas then either can claim.
Hope this helps.
Laura
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:04 am
Just Joined

melbal35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LauraJ
My daughter and I came over on a Prospective Marriage Visa Sub Class 300 and up until I rang Centrelink just now was under the impression I couldn't claim anything as it's a temporary visa up til we get married, and read on the DIMIA website that we couldn't claim anything for 2 years. I now know this only applies to Income Support and as we're living with an aussie citizen he is able to claim Family Tax Benefit/Child Benefit for us, at least til I start work and possibly after dependant on total household income, as it's means tested.
Apparently if you both have permanent visas then either can claim.
Hope this helps.
Laura
Thanks - that's great.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 11:01 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

slightly off subject, but is child benefit payable in oz?? what i mean is, over here it is a non means tested benefit to all children no matter what, do they have a similar set up in oz?
thanks
vb2
Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vb2
slightly off subject, but is child benefit payable in oz?? what i mean is, over here it is a non means tested benefit to all children no matter what, do they have a similar set up in oz?
thanks
vb2
No, you have to claim family assistance and it is means tested.
Be very careul about estimating your annual income as if you under estimate you could have a big overpayment to pay back!!
Old Jan 13th 2006, 8:06 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

ok thanks for that

regards
vb2