Reload this Page >

Chest X-Rays & Medicals - An Overview

Chest X-Rays & Medicals - An Overview

Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:09 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Chest X-Rays & Medicals - An Overview

To anyone who is about to have chest x-rays/medicals done,

We've just got back from London where we've had both the chest x-rays and medicals done on the same day. We were all a bit worried about this, probably more fear of the unknown than anything else. Anyway I know that some people here are also concerned about what the process involves so here's a summary of our morning which no doubt put your mind at ease.

We had our chest x-rays done first. Liam, my son, didn't have to have this done as he's under 11 (only just though, he's 11 in June). It was my turn first. I was taken into a room and asked to take off my jumper and necklace although I kept my t-shirt on. I stood in front of a photographic plate for a few seconds and it was done. A few minutes later the x-ray photo was printed and the doc put it up in front of those light-box type of thingies on the wall and we both had a look at it (not that I'd have a clue what to look for anyway !). Similar thing for the missus although she had to take her t-shirt off too for some reason. She also had to stand a bit further away from the photographic plate as she's a bit "chesty" . The whole x-ray thing took about 10 minutes. The radiologist was an Aussie and he was great, infact it was hard to stop him from rabbiting on about all of the places that he had lived in Aus !. The cost for the chest x-rays was 90 pounds (45 each).

We then ambled around the corner to the Travelscreening office (www.travelscreening.co.uk) which is where we had our medicals. I had already told Liam that he couldn't have a wee for the 2 hours before hand so he was busting at the seams . Thank god that the uring test was first. We went into the toilets with our sample jars and did the neccessary. Liam quite cleverly got me to hold his jar while he did the filling. Damn kid didn't realise how much he was doing and only stopped when I shouted that he was about to overfill it. Ever tried balancing a full sample jar and screwing the lid on without the contents spilling down your hands

The actual medicals were much easier than any of us expected. Liam was first and I sat with him in the room. He had his height and weight measured and then had his eyes, ears, throat, heart rate and breathing checked. He also had to lie down and have his stomach prodded although I'm not sure what that check was all about ?. He didn't have a blood pressure check, didn't have any blood taken and he didn't have to do the "cough and drop" which has made his day !

Same story for me really, although I also had to have a blood sample taken. The doctor also made me lie down on the bed and checked my stomach aswell. She (yes it was a woman ) asked me to undo my jeans and slide them halfway down (steady on ). I kept my pants on though. She prodded around the front of my groin and asked me if it hurt, which it didn't. She also checked my blood pressure.

The missus got the same treatment as me although she had to take off her top, lie down and have her air-bags checked which she said was a bit painful (the prodding was a bit forceful apparently). I'll have to rub them better tonight !!!

And that was it !. The whole thing took about 30 minutes for all of us and cost 400 quid which included an optional charge of 60 quid to have the results sent directly to Adelaide.

And so it seems that we were worried about absolutely nothing. I've had quite a day really, spent Saturday morning having my groin prodded by a young oriental woman, although I have had to pay 400 quid for the privelage

Even better news, my self imposed 2 month pre-medical detox is now over and I can finally celebrate tonight with a glass or two of shandy !

Cheers all !
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Nobby you can pig out tonight then!!!

Have a bar of cadburys for me!!
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:20 pm
99.99999% there !

Just beer for me - I've been looking forward to a sup for so long now !, but the missus has already got a huge bar of Dairy Milk (the size of an A4 piece of paper) in the fridge. She's going to make herself sick on that tonight !
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

COr lucky devil!! I am on a strict diet at the moment Got to lose a few kilos before the summer. I love chocolate but I did not like the Australian version very much so it looks like I wont have to diet so much when I get there and there are no pie and mash shops.

Hope that you get your visa soon.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:12 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chest X-Rays & Medicals - An Overview

Originally posted by EssexNobby
To anyone who is about to have chest x-rays/medicals done,

We've just got back from London where we've had both the chest x-rays and medicals done on the same day. We were all a bit worried about this, probably more fear of the unknown than anything else. Anyway I know that some people here are also concerned about what the process involves so here's a summary of our morning which no doubt put your mind at ease.

We had our chest x-rays done first. Liam, my son, didn't have to have this done as he's under 11 (only just though, he's 11 in June). It was my turn first. I was taken into a room and asked to take off my jumper and necklace although I kept my t-shirt on. I stood in front of a photographic plate for a few seconds and it was done. A few minutes later the x-ray photo was printed and the doc put it up in front of those light-box type of thingies on the wall and we both had a look at it (not that I'd have a clue what to look for anyway !). Similar thing for the missus although she had to take her t-shirt off too for some reason. She also had to stand a bit further away from the photographic plate as she's a bit "chesty" . The whole x-ray thing took about 10 minutes. The radiologist was an Aussie and he was great, infact it was hard to stop him from rabbiting on about all of the places that he had lived in Aus !. The cost for the chest x-rays was 90 pounds (45 each).

We then ambled around the corner to the Travelscreening office (www.travelscreening.co.uk) which is where we had our medicals. I had already told Liam that he couldn't have a wee for the 2 hours before hand so he was busting at the seams . Thank god that the uring test was first. We went into the toilets with our sample jars and did the neccessary. Liam quite cleverly got me to hold his jar while he did the filling. Damn kid didn't realise how much he was doing and only stopped when I shouted that he was about to overfill it. Ever tried balancing a full sample jar and screwing the lid on without the contents spilling down your hands

The actual medicals were much easier than any of us expected. Liam was first and I sat with him in the room. He had his height and weight measured and then had his eyes, ears, throat, heart rate and breathing checked. He also had to lie down and have his stomach prodded although I'm not sure what that check was all about ?. He didn't have a blood pressure check, didn't have any blood taken and he didn't have to do the "cough and drop" which has made his day !

Same story for me really, although I also had to have a blood sample taken. The doctor also made me lie down on the bed and checked my stomach aswell. She (yes it was a woman ) asked me to undo my jeans and slide them halfway down (steady on ). I kept my pants on though. She prodded around the front of my groin and asked me if it hurt, which it didn't. She also checked my blood pressure.

The missus got the same treatment as me although she had to take off her top, lie down and have her air-bags checked which she said was a bit painful (the prodding was a bit forceful apparently). I'll have to rub them better tonight !!!

And that was it !. The whole thing took about 30 minutes for all of us and cost 400 quid which included an optional charge of 60 quid to have the results sent directly to Adelaide.

And so it seems that we were worried about absolutely nothing. I've had quite a day really, spent Saturday morning having my groin prodded by a young oriental woman, although I have had to pay 400 quid for the privelage

Even better news, my self imposed 2 month pre-medical detox is now over and I can finally celebrate tonight with a glass or two of shandy !

Cheers all !
Hi,
We had our meds and x-rays done last Wednesday.
Wasn't given the option of a peek at our x-rays, would have liked to though as it was the only part of the meds i hadn't had done before.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Xrays

Did any one else get to keep their Xray??? Not the sort of thing you put in the photo album really.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
COr lucky devil!! I am on a strict diet at the moment Got to lose a few kilos before the summer. I love chocolate but I did not like the Australian version very much so it looks like I wont have to diet so much when I get there and there are no pie and mash shops.

Hope that you get your visa soon.

No pie n mash - thats it I withdraw my application. NAH not really
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:49 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Am I the only one who's had his gonads groped in the medical? Come to think of it I'm not sure the guy who did that was actually
the doctor.......

Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:12 pm
99.99999% there !

I didn't get to keep the x-rays, just had a quick peek at them before the doc sealed them in the envelope. To be honest he could have put anyone's x-rays photos in front of me and I wouldn't have known the difference - there's really not too much to see !

Top fella though, couldn't have been a nicer bloke. Would recommend the London Imaging Centre if anyone needs to have the chest x-rays done !
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:18 pm
99.99999% there !

Heh heh - Kentish Man - you know that some people pay good money for that !!!!

It might sound like a trip, but the reality is that the docs office is usually cold (it was about to snow outside) and your nads are like two peas, so I'm quite releived that she didn't want to go "down under" otherwise I'm sure that she would had to stifle some laughter