Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CHEMICAL PLANTS IN PERTH

CHEMICAL PLANTS IN PERTH

Old Aug 16th 2011, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

engineer wayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CHEMICAL PLANTS IN PERTH

Hi all, can anyone tell me if there are any chemical plants in Western Australia? I am a mechanical engineering technician and maintenance coordinator and looking for work, I finally got my 176 sponsored visa last week and sold my house so im ready for the off.
Trouble is reading all the forums on here people saying the mines etc is not all its cracked up to be so im unsure as to what to do. My field is chemical manufacturing so ideally it would be good to find a job related to this as its always paid good money for me in the uk.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CHEMICAL PLANTS IN PERTH

There's a bunch in the Kwinana area...I have no idea if they're hiring etc.

http://www.kic.org.au/industry.asp

http://www.csrp.com.au/database/au/kwin/
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Various regions have operations, Kwinana is closest to Perth. A few more links:
http://www.coogee.com.au/op_serv.html
http://www.kemerton.com.au/About%20Kemerton/Tenants
http://www.chemlink.com.au/wachem.htm
http://www.fluor.com/australia/busin...s/default.aspx
http://www.kic.org.au/files/Part%20D...ct%20Study.pdf
http://proteuseng.com.au/
http://www.careerjet.com.au/chemical...lia-32561.html
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:18 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I know some of the company's very well

Just to be clear.... you are a mechanical fitter/tradesperson as opposed to a mechanical engineer?
There can some times be confusion around this important distinction.

Also I believe you are still in UK?

Who in chemicals have you worked for in UK?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I know some of the company's very well

Just to be clear.... you are a mechanical fitter/tradesperson as opposed to a mechanical engineer?
There can some times be confusion around this important distinction.

Also I believe you are still in UK?

Who in chemicals have you worked for in UK?
Yeh I am working at the moment as a fitter and an engineering coordinator, I am over qualified as a fitter as I have a HND in Mechanical Engineering, yes I am still in the uk, the companies Ive worked for include ICI, Brunner Mond, Ineos Fluor and Mexichem.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Helen I will have a good look at these much appreciated.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by engineer wayne
Hi all, can anyone tell me if there are any chemical plants in Western Australia? I am a mechanical engineering technician and maintenance coordinator and looking for work, I finally got my 176 sponsored visa last week and sold my house so im ready for the off.
Trouble is reading all the forums on here people saying the mines etc is not all its cracked up to be so im unsure as to what to do. My field is chemical manufacturing so ideally it would be good to find a job related to this as its always paid good money for me in the uk.
Any help would be appreciated.
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES VERY USEFUL!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:31 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne

It may be easier if a mod merges this thread with your other re jobs and location.

The locations and companies you have been given are spot on, perfect places to start looking. As well as the kwinana strip and kemerton there is also collie which has a lot of development but that part of the world is not for everyone.
I think you are right about the mines too. We a currently recruiting for a mech fitter at one of my plants and we have deliberately targeted those who are disillusioned with FIFO and we have had a great response. Now your experience and trade would make you someone to look at but as you are in the UK I don't need to. I have a list of suitable candidates here. However I am also recruiting for a another position and one candidate is in the UK because of the skill shortage in that job here.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Wayne

It may be easier if a mod merges this thread with your other re jobs and location.

The locations and companies you have been given are spot on, perfect places to start looking. As well as the kwinana strip and kemerton there is also collie which has a lot of development but that part of the world is not for everyone.
I think you are right about the mines too. We a currently recruiting for a mech fitter at one of my plants and we have deliberately targeted those who are disillusioned with FIFO and we have had a great response. Now your experience and trade would make you someone to look at but as you are in the UK I don't need to. I have a list of suitable candidates here. However I am also recruiting for a another position and one candidate is in the UK because of the skill shortage in that job here.
Thanks for the advice, I have had a few people telling me to go and find work once i arrive as employers steer clear of resume's outside australia as they might have to wait. I myself only have to give 4wks notice from my current employer and I can fly out with immediate effect as my house is sold and my visa is issued. its a difficult decision to make as going without a job will start eating away at my savings. tough call, by the way what company is it you are recruiting for??
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:57 am
Devil's Advocate

Thanks for the advice, I have had a few people telling me to go and find work once i arrive as employers steer clear of resume's outside australia as they might have to wait. I myself only have to give 4wks notice from my current employer and I can fly out with immediate effect as my house is sold and my visa is issued. its a difficult decision to make as going without a job will start eating away at my savings. tough call, by the way what company is it you are recruiting for??
One of the one's in the list Helen gave, very near the top
seek.com.au should reveal all

Just bear in mind seasonal factors effect recruiting also. Dec and Jan are typically pretty slow months.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Do you have in your company any engineering coordinators, my job role consists of 70% in the office coordinating and 30% on my tools as and when process demands needs. I would prefer to get a job coordinating but I feel I would have to take a step back in australia and start off on my tools again. any views on this?
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:11 am
Devil's Advocate

Do you have in your company any engineering coordinators, my job role consists of 70% in the office coordinating and 30% on my tools as and when process demands needs. I would prefer to get a job coordinating but I feel I would have to take a step back in australia and start off on my tools again. any views on this?
Yes we do have co-ords in our larger sites. I think you might be right about taking a step back though. Getting started here and experience are paramount. Many have reported you can;t get work without Aus experience and its therefore difficult to get started. Also co-ord jobs will be fewer in number and more hotly contested.
My advice would be get over here and get an income stream going then worry about the niceties afterwards (if you are worried about getting jobs).
Old Oct 8th 2011, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

johnelcoat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wayne, sorry to hijack your thread, but I too am a mechanical technician, mainly a machines tech on the rotating/reciprocating kit and I am also working for a former ICI company. I have been trying to find info on chem plants in perth, as I'm finishing my Beng degree soon and I'm really tempted by the idea. Anything you, or anyone else, can throw my way would be much appreciated.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find somewhere to cabin up soon

Who knows I might see you out there soon.