Chefs

Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:25 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Chefs

My sister in law, who is only 21 years old wants to do a chef-ing course, because her and my bother want to come to Australia. I have looked in the City and Guilds website and can anyone recommend a course that she could do, to gain the qualification she needs to apply on a 136 skilled visa. They have there 5 year plan to get this sorted.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all
Default Re: Chefs

Hi julie
The best way forward for them is to do a nvq course they no longer do the old c/g 706/1 and 706/2 which are the qualifications i gained.They need to also try and get in some where that will give them on the job exsperiance.If they work hard they will do it in there time scale i had a chef who did his first part of his nvq in six months while still working in our kitchen they just need lots of good support.If i can help any further feel free to email me.
neil
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:27 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

hi, she will need to do her NVQ 1 & 2, its a 2 year course usually, she could go on day release etc or combien the course with other hospitality courses.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

They are screaming out for hospitality especially all levels of chefs, and there are plenty of chef apprenticeships offered in Mandurah where we are. An article in the local paper a couple of weeks ago was going on about how the big hotels were having to source overseas skills because they couldn't get the staff here.

I wouldn't even bother learning it in the UK because we have found that you then either have to get your skills re-recognised once you get here, which is a huge pain in the rear and can be inconvenient and expensive or they just don't want to know.

They are screaming out for skills and make it all very inviting but then struggle to let you work with your UK qualifications that are far more impressive than what they teach you here. Come over on a student visa and learn here, then apply to for permanant when you've been here a while.

Don't waste any more time in the UK its such a great place here.

Regards Kim
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:47 pm
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kimmy67
They are screaming out for hospitality especially all levels of chefs, and there are plenty of chef apprenticeships offered in Mandurah where we are. An article in the local paper a couple of weeks ago was going on about how the big hotels were having to source overseas skills because they couldn't get the staff here.

I wouldn't even bother learning it in the UK because we have found that you then either have to get your skills re-recognised once you get here, which is a huge pain in the rear and can be inconvenient and expensive or they just don't want to know.

They are screaming out for skills and make it all very inviting but then struggle to let you work with your UK qualifications that are far more impressive than what they teach you here. Come over on a student visa and learn here, then apply to for permanant when you've been here a while.

Don't waste any more time in the UK its such a great place here.

Regards Kim
Thanks that. I will let her know. They have plenty of time yet.

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by julie hilton
My sister in law, who is only 21 years old wants to do a chef-ing course, because her and my bother want to come to Australia. I have looked in the City and Guilds website and can anyone recommend a course that she could do, to gain the qualification she needs to apply on a 136 skilled visa. They have there 5 year plan to get this sorted.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
hello there
well i am a chef and when i was looking for the asco code for a chef it was there, but it does say excluding commis chef (this is what you would be at first ) also you do have to have around 3/5 years in the job first. so i would say unless someone will give them a job over there. it will be hard to sort out or even go there . but im not 100% on this need to speak to an agent first before hand.
hope this helps
Dave
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:27 pm
Dobro

huey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nice

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello there
well i am a chef and when i was looking for the asco code for a chef it was there, but it does say excluding commis chef (this is what you would be at first ) also you do have to have around 3/5 years in the job first. so i would say unless someone will give them a job over there. it will be hard to sort out or even go there . but im not 100% on this need to speak to an agent first before hand.
hope this helps
Dave

I got in as a chef.You do need 6 years experience to prove your skills for a 136.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

hello there
hope this helps
Dave
Hi Dave,

My husband is also a chef with 20 years experience. We are applying on a 136 visa and hope to move to either Brisbane or the Gold Coast. Do you have any idea of wages in these areas? I have posted on the official wages thread but the only reply i got was for Adelaide and was told 37,750 Aus dollars per annum. Surely we coudn't live on that!!!!!

Cheers! Lynn
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the4ofus
Hi Dave,

My husband is also a chef with 20 years experience. We are applying on a 136 visa and hope to move to either Brisbane or the Gold Coast. Do you have any idea of wages in these areas? I have posted on the official wages thread but the only reply i got was for Adelaide and was told 37,750 Aus dollars per annum. Surely we coudn't live on that!!!!!

Cheers! Lynn
hello there
no thats not right wages are around $45,000 basic chef(chef de partie)then up to around $80,000 depending on what position and what kind of place. the mines can pay $120,000 for a head chef . try www.seek.com.au and there are lots of chefs jobs everywhere not just on the seek web sight

hope this helps

Dave
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:38 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

hello there
no thats not right wages are around $45,000 basic chef(chef de partie)then up to around $80,000 depending on what position and what kind of place. the mines can pay $120,000 for a head chef . try www.seek.com.au and there are lots of chefs jobs everywhere not just on the seek web sight

hope this helps

Dave
Hi i put the post on about chef wages in Adelaide, theres lots of jobs advertised, not all show the wages but that one i saw was the best salary i had seen advertised, and i thought it was dire!
i did say it would vary from state to state and establishment though.
If that really is poo wages then i might just give it a chance of going back into catering if the money is better than i thought.
Kat xxx
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

hello there

hope this helps

Dave
Thanks. My husband is a senior sous chef at the minute, has been head chef in a few places bu likes the 8-4, mon-fri hours at the minute, and so do I - it's great having dinner made for you every night! So we can expect a decent wage then
Cheers! Lynn
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the4ofus
Thanks. My husband is a senior sous chef at the minute, has been head chef in a few places bu likes the 8-4, mon-fri hours at the minute, and so do I - it's great having dinner made for you every night! So we can expect a decent wage then
Cheers! Lynn
hello
some chefs that i have spoken to do 2 jobs . mon to friday $55 /$65 a year then they are doing cash in hand for $25 hr on a couple of nights of the week , so they are of 5 out of seven nights then have got the weekend off aswell sounds ok. we are going to perth and there are lots of jobs cash or proper jobs
all the best
Dave