Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheese from the UK

Cheese from the UK

Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheese from the UK

My parents are visiting at the moment and Mum's made a cunning discovery. It is possible to import cheese from the UK as long as it is completely sealed by the manufacturer. I have a Wensleydale, sealed in the wax, and am in hog heaven! There doesn't seem to be a weight restriction, so if you were particularly cheese obsessed and were nice enough to your family, they could even bring you a whole big cheese. The only rule is the manufacturer's sealing - Mum and Dad had no problems at customs.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheese from the UK

Originally Posted by thribble
My parents are visiting at the moment and Mum's made a cunning discovery. It is possible to import cheese from the UK as long as it is completely sealed by the manufacturer. I have a Wensleydale, sealed in the wax, and am in hog heaven! There doesn't seem to be a weight restriction, so if you were particularly cheese obsessed and were nice enough to your family, they could even bring you a whole big cheese. The only rule is the manufacturer's sealing - Mum and Dad had no problems at customs.

I'm extremely surprised - AQIS rules state no dairy products!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 7th 2007 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:36 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sorry Polly, the OP is right. I sent a whole cheese to some friends a couple of years ago. AQUIS tasted it and let it through.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:43 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I heard this was a very recent change specifically for cheese.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:30 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Sorry Polly, the OP is right. I sent a whole cheese to some friends a couple of years ago. AQUIS tasted it and let it through.
Sounds good to me - just a bit mystified that this has never been mentioned before on the numerous other threads over the yaers where people (including me!) have asked if could import cheese!
Wait till my next trip home
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Well bugger cheese from the UK, I'm gonna get me some St. Agur! Unless someone can tell me you can buy it at Woolies or something....
J.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Well bugger cheese from the UK, I'm gonna get me some St. Agur! Unless someone can tell me you can buy it at Woolies or something....
J.
Super IGA have a 'Cheeses from round the world' selection. I know they have double gloucester and red leicester imported form the UK - never looked for St Agur but will do next time I go. If I see any I'll let you know.
Mx
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:54 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: :scared: AQUIS tasted it??? Now you are eating it? Hope they washed their hands....

Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully they didn't taste my cheese otherwise there wouldn't have been any left for me! I don't know where the information is but Mum had apparantly spent ages finding it (hooray for parents!)
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Oh for a decent Scottish Cheddar.

We have to make do with vintage!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
:scared: :scared: AQUIS tasted it??? Now you are eating it? Hope they washed their hands....

I sent it to friends. AQUIS apparently used a proper cheese skewer thing that goes a long way into the cheese... I guess to check the middle out and make sure I hadn't smuggled cheese in there or other forbidden things.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

Theres a link through the AQIS site to a list of "foot and mouth free countries". Apparently you can import cheese from countries that are foot and mouth free, and the UK is now on that list! WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:49 am
Account Closed

Theres a link through the AQIS site to a list of "foot and mouth free countries". Apparently you can import cheese from countries that are foot and mouth free, and the UK is now on that list! WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Nice to see you so happy!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Nice to see you so happy!
Little things.......
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Little things.......
And big cheeses!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.