Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheese, cheddar if possible

Cheese, cheddar if possible

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

tmichael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheese, cheddar if possible

I feel like Ben Gunn in Treasure Island. Is it possible to get decent well matured cheddar cheese in South Australia without paying $40 a kilo. There are not many things in food line that are not better here than in Uk, but cheese seems to be one of them.

Based on current experience.

tasty = tasteless?

Extra tasty = still tasteless

Other cheeses no better. Tassy brie Tassy blue etc. all bland.

Have I lost my taste buds now I am upside down or is there a problem here?
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:44 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cheese, cheddar if possible

Originally posted by tmichael
I feel like Ben Gunn in Treasure Island. Is it possible to get decent well matured cheddar cheese in South Australia without paying $40 a kilo. There are not many things in food line that are not better here than in Uk, but cheese seems to be one of them.

tasty = tasteless?

Historically, half decent cheese makers were an honest bunch.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:10 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Try the cheeses marked Tangy (sp?) there a lot stronger.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Historically, half decent cheese makers were an honest bunch.

G
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tmichael

tasty = tasteless?

Ahah, a chance to reopen The Great Cheese debate!! Look back to my posts when I arrived in November!
I make no apologies for this statement - Australian Cheese is the pits! You can get some half-decent stuff, but its expensive, The Bloke mutters dark words every time I say I NEEEEED to buy cheese. Coles has a reasonable selection - Ashgrove from Tas is OK, with peppers, or Vintage Cheddar.
The Bloke is a BiLo shopper - so I know all about "Extra Tasty" = if I'd put that in my fridge in the UK, it would have spat it back at me. Half the problem is that the Aussies have a down on unpasteurised cheese - hence no farm shop stuff, which I used to live on. Aussies buy it ready grated, they buy it in slices, but they don't notice - IT HAS NO FLAVOUR!!!!!!
Cheese is becoming a luxury for me, sad but true. I don't regret leaving the UK but I do regret Leaving Cheese, but being serious, if you are a real mouse like me, cut out the other stuff and save your cents - thats the only way you will get anything worth eating.

Must admit to tasting some better stuff in Tassie - better than the Tassie-exported. If you get the chance to go down there, pig out! King Island stuff is excellent.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:21 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
Try the cheeses marked Tangy (sp?) there a lot stronger.
Yep, they almost make the "mild-to-average" cheddar mark!!!

Just proves to me that Aussies are lacking taste-buds. the Bloke can eat "Tasty BiLo" and say "Yummy, that got real flavour......."
:scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana

Just proves to me that Aussies are lacking taste-buds. the Bloke can eat "Tasty BiLo" and say "Yummy, that got real flavour......."
Well that's a 'ploughman's' and a decent pint down the pub out of the window then

G
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:28 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

There's got to be a business opportunity here somewhere!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Mind you you can't taste in in a sandwhich anyway because of all the beetroot:scared:

G
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Originally posted by NedKelly63
The Australian equivalent of a ploughmans falls on its arse then, especially when coupled with beer?
Certainly does! They actually sell cheese (tasteless) in little cubes, ready for nice parties, but the idea of a large hunk of REALLY tasty cheddar on a ploughmans would finish off most Aussies I know! And as Grayling says, it would be stained a lovely purple colour by the obligatory beetroot........

And just for a smile - my niece, aged 8, asked her mum "Will Aunty get a divorce and come home because she doesn't like the cheese?".........out of the mouths of babes......
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

tmichael is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, really cheered me up. What I cannot understand is that you will find excellent NZ cheddar on the supermarkewt shelves in uk, why not here?

Ther has to be a business opportunity here.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:42 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Certainly does! They actually sell cheese (tasteless) in little cubes, ready for nice parties, but the idea of a large hunk of REALLY tasty cheddar on a ploughmans would finish off most Aussies I know! And as Grayling says, it would be stained a lovely purple colour by the obligatory beetroot........

And just for a smile - my niece, aged 8, asked her mum "Will Aunty get a divorce and come home because she doesn't like the cheese?".........out of the mouths of babes......
So these are all crap then?

http://www.australianwineandbeer.com/cheese/cheese.htm
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:51 pm
Home and Happy

I do like Ashgrove farm, but its expensive compared to "ordinary" cheese. I get your point Ned, and I've had this discussion many times on here, there is some cheese here with a bit of bite. The trouble is, I am (I WAS) a Sainsburys shopper and could get cheese with what I considered good flavour and texture at a really affordble price.
Now I am reduced to rubbery "Tasty" and to be honest would rather do without= and I usually do. Part of the problem is down to price/budget - we can't afford the cheese I would like, I'm stuck with the bottom of the range.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:55 pm
Now 15% less offensive

I do like Ashgrove farm, but its expensive compared to "ordinary" cheese. I get your point Ned, and I've had this discussion many times on here, there is some cheese here with a bit of bite. The trouble is, I am (I WAS) a Sainsburys shopper and could get cheese with what I considered good flavour and texture at a really affordble price.
Now I am reduced to rubbery "Tasty" and to be honest would rather do without= and I usually do. Part of the problem is down to price/budget - we can't afford the cheese I would like, I'm stuck with the bottom of the range.
I actually despise cheese. I think it is the work of the devil!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 2:56 pm
Home and Happy

I've had Pyengana (fabulous pub there) and Tassie Highland Cheese in Tas, and the best I had was Tasmanian Gourmet Cheeses from Hillwood - when I went there they were doing a soft Strawberry Cheese, sounds odd, but was out of this world for taste.

Qld is weird though, doesn't like importing stuff like that even inter-state. "ooh no,that be dangerous and foreign, not got a licence.....might be nasty and wicked......"

(Think I'd better go to bed before I getreally carried away!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.