Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheer us up please, were doing the sad bit

Cheer us up please, were doing the sad bit

Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

stevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nice
Default Cheer us up please, were doing the sad bit

The packers are currently boxing everything up. The house is a shell.
We fly out on wednesday.
Said goodbye to all my mates last night, Shed a tear I will admit.
Got to do the same with family tomorrow and we are not looking forward to it.
We are feeling really sad and I woke up this morning (in my own bed for the last time) wondering why we are doing all this and how we are going to cope without friends and family.

I guess many of you have been through this feeling of self doubt and last minute regrets. How did you keep yourself feeling good about it?

Doesnt help that the people renting our flat pulled out the other day, leaving us stuffed.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Loiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cheer us up please, were doing the sad bit

Originally Posted by stevo
We fly out on wednesday.
We are feeling really sad and I woke up this morning (in my own bed for the last time) wondering why we are doing all this and how we are going to cope without friends and family.

I guess many of you have been through this feeling of self doubt and last minute regrets. How did you keep yourself feeling good about it?

Doesnt help that the people renting our flat pulled out the other day, leaving us stuffed.

Thanks.
We havent emigrated yet but Im sure what you're feeling is absolutely normal and would be odd if you didnt feel this way but when you are walking along the beach in the sunshine Im sure you'll know why you did it then.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:50 pm
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down, but you wouldn't be human if you didn't have fears and worries.

I couldn't wait to move, but there were still times when I wondered if it was the right thing, especially with moving the kids away from their grandparents.

For me the worst time was the night we arrived. Stayed at rellies house, had a few drinks and woke in the night to rain and howling gales. It was really strange and I just wanted to be back in my old familiar house. Still, things looked much better in the morning ( although the rain continued for weeks ) and we are all settled.

Look at it like an extended adventure holiday and think of all the interesting stories you will have to tell your friends and rellies. Also don't forget that when you're here, it really doesn't seem that far away, with skype / e-mail etc.

Take care and enjoy the ride.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:01 pm
patience is a virtue !!!!

jo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the rough

Hi
Weve got 11 wks to go and im already feeling like you,
Im sure these last minute doubts are normal, and I keep reminding myself of all the great reasons we are doing it...and then im ok again
all the best
Jo
x
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

stevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nicestevo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Loubags
Also don't forget that when you're here, it really doesn't seem that far away, with skype / e-mail etc.
Thanks for the pep talk, I know you are right about keeping in contact with family, but it does not substitute a big hug.
Perhaps we will save for an Xmas return visit, but I guess that will be expensive $$?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:51 pm
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the pep talk, I know you are right about keeping in contact with family, but it does not substitute a big hug.
Perhaps we will save for an Xmas return visit, but I guess that will be expensive $$?
No - sadly there is no substitute for a big hug. but if you're anything like us you will find the time goes really quickly though, with work, settling into house, sightseeing etc. I keep in touch more with some friends now ( text / email etc )than I did before as I've got more stuff to tell them.

We have just booked to go back to the UK for Xmas this year, and yes, it is really expensive but it'll will be worth it to catch up with everyone - time will fly even quicker with all the overtime I'll have to do to pay for it

By the way - sorry to hear about the flat. We had a nightmare of a sale before we came over, so I remember what it was like.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice

Hi - I moved to NZ five years ago and I spend more time now with my mother than I ever did before. I come back to England (for work) once a year and stay with her for ten days - then we meet halfway, normally in thailand once a year - I admit at nearly 40 it's rather sad going on holiday with your parents and by day seven we want to kill each other but you make it work. Friends are harder, you do have to make the effort to keep in touch - and I admit, friends I thought were close have fallen by the wayside over the last couple of year, but you do realise who those people are that really, really matter to you - and relationships change, people I thought were my best friends have never been out here to see me, others have come out and are now closer than before.

Mind you saying that, the reason I'm on this forum is that we're moving from NZ to Aus in a month - and I've got to go through it all again so am myself currently in the sad bit!!! I really don't want to leave my house here - not bothered about anything else, but I love my house!!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

jodi666 is an unknown quantity at this point

We fly out on wednesday.

Thanks.
Hi Stevo,

It's such a surreal feeling those last few days isn't it up one minute rock bottom the next but i am a firm believer of things are meant to be and i am sure if you were not meant to go something would have stopped you.

I moved to the Gold Coast 5 months ago without knowing a single soul and actually having never been here with my husband & 3 kids. All the things you are feeling are perfectly normal it's just the fear of stepping out of your comfort zone and what you know, but you wouldn have made the decision to move if you were entirely happy with where you are . It has been a great adventure fo us so far and we are loving the fact that everything is so new and different gives you a new lease of life.

It will be hard to say goodbye to family and freinds and I don't envy you with that part but when you get here and get into your new life it will all be worth it. I wish you all the best and if you need any help when you arrive with anything let me know. take care jodi
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I printed out the following quote (by Mark Twain) and stuck it to the inside of the front door ...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

We fly out on wednesday.

Thanks.
Best o luck ith the move

Dave
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:45 pm
One of Big G's girls.

Have you arrived yet? When you get 5mins ( yes - I know it may be a while yet ) let us know how you are getting on.

Hope it's all fab for you
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:48 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

hi we are in the same boat we fly on monday and renting the house out.
At the moment we are living in a shell that has`nt felt like home for at least a week.
Not looking forward to the airport on monday as all family are coming and they are bad enough at the moment.
We have the last weekend to say goodbye to friends and neighbours.

We now what your going through the worst bit was re-homing the cat with a friend at least friends and family understand.

Oh well here we go to a new and exciting life.

good luck
Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:40 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

It all hit me today. My grandad passed away last week and funeral was today. All the family was together not that i have a big one but i sat looking round at everyone thinking god its going to be a while before i see everyone again. I think one of the big things that will hit me the most is my work mates. 15 years working day in day out with the same bunch, and you couldnt get a better bunch of lads.They are almost like having another family.
Anyway send you a bit of karma mate, im not looking forward to it come june either. Hope you get someone soon for your rental.

Stu
Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by stu:0
It all hit me today. My grandad passed away last week and funeral was today. All the family was together not that i have a big one but i sat looking round at everyone thinking god its going to be a while before i see everyone again. I think one of the big things that will hit me the most is my work mates. 15 years working day in day out with the same bunch, and you couldnt get a better bunch of lads.They are almost like having another family.
Anyway send you a bit of karma mate, im not looking forward to it come june either. Hope you get someone soon for your rental.

Stu
Hi Stu,
Really sorry to hear about your grandad. Occassions like that make you realise what your family means to you. I guess your grandad, was behind you so keep that in your mind. My nan is 86 and thinks what we are doing is great. I do realise that once we go in June I may not see my nan again, as she isnt well enough to travel and Im not sure when I will get back to the UK.
Close friends and like you say work mates will be the toughest, but most are behind us and think we are doing the right thing.
Wish you all the best Jackie and Justin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.