Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest ways to phone Britain ?

Cheapest ways to phone Britain ?

Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

jimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nice
Default Cheapest ways to phone Britain ?

Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to phone Britain, there seems to be loads of ways to call Australia from the U.K but not the other way around.Im looking for a no contract option and not the phone card option.
thanks all,
Jimmi
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest ways to phone Britain ?

Originally Posted by jimmip
Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to phone Britain, there seems to be loads of ways to call Australia from the U.K but not the other way around.Im looking for a no contract option and not the phone card option.
thanks all,
Jimmi
Not sure if this falls within the category of cards, but you can get a DayBreak Voucher/Card from any Post Office or garage. You can buy most multiples of 10 and they seem to last us for ages.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

jimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nicejimmip is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Not sure if this falls within the category of cards, but you can get a DayBreak Voucher/Card from any Post Office or garage. You can buy most multiples of 10 and they seem to last us for ages.
Thanks for this, I have tried cards but the reception is mostly shite !Its probably better to go through a service provider like telstra.
cheers,
Jimmi
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:41 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks for this, I have tried cards but the reception is mostly shite !Its probably better to go through a service provider like telstra.
cheers,
Jimmi
Telstra is cheaper than what you think. It costs me 2cents per minute to ring UK.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:53 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Superbuzz?? I find the reception on the line really good...so much clearer than when my folks call me using Skype. It cost around 59c connection charge and then 0.9c a minute. I call my folks twice a week & a card lasts me for an eternity..

You can get them at any newsagents or even in woolies.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for the cheap cards, some of them charge you a fee per day since it was activated. We wern't told his by the newsagent woman who sold us ours, and then couldn't work out where all our credit had gone.

We used Telstra now, it is just easier. For $5 per month you get calls for 2c per minute, with a connection fee of I think 39c (could be wrong). Not so good for quick calls, but for long calls it is good value. You can also pay $10 per month and you get $5 worth of calls in the package.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:19 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

All our calls go through MyNetFone VOIP service. (non-advertised plan for whirlpool.net members)

We get 60 free calls (untimed worldwide) a month, a DID number and cheap calls to mobiles and international after the 60 are used up (10c untimed nationwide)...

oh and of course we dont pay Telstra for an expensive landline!

When we changed our phone bill went from $70 a month to $10 !!!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for this info.I will probably look into Telstra and see what they can do for me-looks like a good deal with them.
thanks again all,
Jimmi
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:45 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jimmi,

We use OzCall you can buy them online or at any Newso.

You pay 39c for a connection and then 0.005c per min.

We buy a $20 card and phone UK once a week to 3 people ! The card lasts about 1 -2 months.

Reception is always great and its a local call to wherever you are.

Nick
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick72
Hi Jimmi,

We use OzCall you can buy them online or at any Newso.

You pay 39c for a connection and then 0.005c per min.

We buy a $20 card and phone UK once a week to 3 people ! The card lasts about 1 -2 months.

Reception is always great and its a local call to wherever you are.

Nick
We have optus fusion at $99 a month plur $5 a month to get uk calls at 2cents per minute. For this we get unlimited local, std and calls to optus mobiles free (we are all on optus) 20gb download broadband, line rental etc. My bill went from a pricey $250 + £70 broad band fee to $149 all in. My kids are always on the phone to friends and also call me all the bloody time on my mobile. The saving for us was $170 ish a month.

Jo
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:20 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I use https://www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpool - $4.95 for 60 untimed calls per month - thats about 4p per untimed call.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:38 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all,
Jimmi
I recommend www.jajah.com

They have a fair use policy, but the calls are free between registered users (get the other party in the UK to register) it's free to register.

Once the free calls run out (if they do?) Our free calls very rarely run out, calls are 0.02p per minute. Our account is in GBP.
PM me if you want some help getting the calls etc.

Neil.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

getting down under is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever MSN Messenger or Yahoo Instant messenger work well for free calls assuming you both have a decent broadband connection, I use mine for video calls with the folks back in the UK (I bought them a webcam as one of their leaving pressies) and it works a treat
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:27 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I use the net to call back home, but a calling card is well worth having.

I picked up one called "ChitChat" for $10 from a local store in Randwick and for this money I get two thousand minutes, now that's a lot of calls back home! Another bonus, is that with some cards it does not charge you extortionate rates to call mobiles. With this card, it doesn't matter if its a landline or a mobile, I still get 2000 minutes for $10, so its a great bargain. The only additional cost is a local call which is $0.50c

Hope this helps

AberJazz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.