Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to make phone calls Perth to UK

Cheapest way to make phone calls Perth to UK

Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:39 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Question Cheapest way to make phone calls Perth to UK

Hi guys, having landed a few weeks ago now, and finally having internet access, one of the things I could do with finding out is, what is the cheapest method of ringing the UK from Western Australia. I have checked out a few websites, but generally peoples own experience is a better barometer for finding out. So does anyone have the definitive answer for us please.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 5:00 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest way to make phone calls Perth to UK

Originally posted by CadburysFingers
Hi guys, having landed a few weeks ago now, and finally having internet access, one of the things I could do with finding out is, what is the cheapest method of ringing the UK from Western Australia. I have checked out a few websites, but generally peoples own experience is a better barometer for finding out. So does anyone have the definitive answer for us please.

Thanks.
At your local newsagent they will probably see phone cards - there are various ones with all different names but you should be able to get cards which you phone a local number (local normal charge) and then use a pin to access long distance. You should end up paying about 4/5 cents a min for calls to the UK - an hour chat for about three dollars, and can be less.

Once I have bought the card I can then top it up over the phone on my credit card and I get a further discount depending on how much money I put on.

Hot tip - the cards or reciepts do tend to get 'lost/misplaced' round our place so we write the pin number in our phone book as back up.

Cheers
Old Jun 15th 2004, 5:29 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that, I have seen the cards you mention, I was hoping to do it via an internet company or phone provider. In the UK I used Alphatelecom and they charger 3p a minute to dial Australia from the UK.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 5:44 am
rudo1ph

I use Alpha Telecom here (Sydney) from my home phone. Have had no problems - I pay up front, I get a warning when there is only 1 minute of credit left, I call them, deposit another $50 and I'm set for another 3 months!!

Old Jun 15th 2004, 5:51 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

GoBananas phonecard - cost is about 2c/min with no flagfall (connection charge).

Do not use Telstra for international calls. One month I had $85 of calls which would have cost me about $10 on a phone card.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

...and if you have family phoning you in Australia, they can get calls at 1p per min with Telediscount.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:39 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by rudo1ph
I use Alpha Telecom here (Sydney) from my home phone. Have had no problems - I pay up front, I get a warning when there is only 1 minute of credit left, I call them, deposit another $50 and I'm set for another 3 months!!
I take it all back!!!!! I have been using this service for nearly a year...........I wrote this earlier and now, less than two hours later I cannot get through to the UK!!!! It tells me the service to the area I am calling is temporarily congested!!!!

Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:34 pm
Karma earned, not whored

Bought a Daybreak calling card in the end for A$ 50 and got A$5 free. It works out at 2.5 cents per minute with no connection charge, thats less than a penny a minute at current exchange rates.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:51 am
rudo1ph

I take it all back!!!!! I have been using this service for nearly a year...........I wrote this earlier and now, less than two hours later I cannot get through to the UK!!!! It tells me the service to the area I am calling is temporarily congested!!!!

You've jinxed me!!!!!!

I can still not get through with this service and the customer service line isn't working either It is out of hours though, so maybe they switch them off (or maybe I'm being a bit charitable here!!!). I will try and call them again in the morning and let you know!

Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:31 am
rudo1ph

Apparently they closed their doors last Friday!!! Good news is I must have been very low on credit so at least the buggers haven't got lots of my dosh!!

Will have to go and investigate phonecards!!! Unless anyone else has a recommendation.....................

Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:45 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
GoBananas phonecard - cost is about 2c/min with no flagfall (connection charge).
us too. cost around a dollar for about 50 mins chat
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:29 am
Just Joined

stuie72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently they closed their doors last Friday!!! Good news is I must have been very low on credit so at least the buggers haven't got lots of my dosh!!

Will have to go and investigate phonecards!!! Unless anyone else has a recommendation.....................
rudo1ph,

How did you find out that they have gone under? I have been trying to find out what has happened to their serice since last Friday but couldn't get an answer from anyone.

Unfortunately, I had quite a bit of credit left too.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:35 am
rudo1ph

read this link too

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...15607#r2936611

Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:40 am
Just Joined

stuie72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! At least I can give up trying every hour now!!

Have you found a cheap override alternative (as opposed to phone cards)? I can't find anything anywhere near the Alpha prices.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:46 am
rudo1ph

No I haven't found an alternative......and I've deleted my original post......I think maybe I shouldn't have posted it without permission - but you read it so at least you know what's happening!! If you read the link I've posted you can email the guy who is the Alpha Telecom rep on that forum. He is still insisting there (or seems to be) that business will carry on at some point.........

I'm going to try out phone cards - only $10 at a time though so if anything goes wrong at least I won't loose much!!!!

If you do find anything else like Alpha, please let me know, it was really convenient!!

Rudi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.