Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to heat cold rental property?

Cheapest way to heat cold rental property?

Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough
Default Cheapest way to heat cold rental property?

Does anyone know the most economical way to heat a property? Our rental gets so cold in winter and doesnt have heating. Are oil filled radiators any good?
The property is all tiled so nice and cool in QLD summer but freezing when it hits 0° at night in winter!!!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:48 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest way to heat cold rental property?

1. Wear lots of clothes
2. Turn the electric blanket on
3. Go to bed early

Always worked for us. These days there is no such thing as 'cheap' heating. Reverse cycle air conditioning is probably as good as it gets, but if your rental doesn't have it there's not much you can do. What on earth are you doing in an un-airconditioned rental in Moranbah anyway?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:22 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kind of surprised it gets that cold there, even in the midst of night. Your walls must be paper, or full of holes.

As Cherokee suggests, reverse cycle air conditioning is efficient, and I'd hope you had some air con there.

Otherwise, I think I'd probably investigate some passive solar in that spot (where you should have lots of sunshine during the day, 8hrs on average in winter). Something that can soak up lots of energy from the sun during the day, then slowly release it overnight (eg Trombe wall). That would be cheapest.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for replies yeah it gets cold out here at night in winter -beautiful during the day though - frost on windscreen in the mornings before sun comes up. We have air con but its not reverse cycle which is a shame. Our unit is pretty shaded which is great during the hot summer but doesnt retain any heat in winter
We roughed it last year and just rugged up but we have a newborn baby this year so need it a bit warmer
Old Mar 26th 2013, 6:22 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Try putting rugs down on the tiles to insulate yourself from the floor.
If you are just running it for a couple of hours in the morning, I would suggest getting a portable cabinet LPG heater so you can rotate the gas cylinders between the heater and your barbeque. They do become a problem with Carbon monoxide if you run it for extended periods though, so be careful.
As for the overnight heating in the babies room you would probably be better with a standard panel heater with 3 heat settings (700W, 1400W and 2100W), not an oil filled type even though they are safer to touch for bubs, the oil filled type cost a lot more for a given heat output. we have a panel heater which is low enough to put under the clothes horse if you need to dry the nappies indoors.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 6:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Koolcat
Does anyone know the most economical way to heat a property? Our rental gets so cold in winter and doesnt have heating. Are oil filled radiators any good?
The property is all tiled so nice and cool in QLD summer but freezing when it hits 0° at night in winter!!!
wear as many layers as you can
Keep all the doors open n- its often warmer outside than inside!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

some of the electric panel heaters are cheap to run- but pricy to buy.

Nobo I think are one with a good reputation.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
some of the electric panel heaters are cheap to run- but pricy to buy.

Nobo I think are one with a good reputation.
Just be aware, efficiency-wise, a split cycle air con in heating mode, or a purpose designed heat pump will be more efficient, joule for joule, than any electric panel heater or gas fire.

Basically if you are using a fuel to create heat, it can be near 100% efficient, but that's it. Since a heat pump is actually moving heat from one place to the other, not creating it, it can 3-400% efficient.

Although I'd still be looking at solar passive+storage personally - given the location - if I at all could.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:38 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GarryP
Just be aware, efficiency-wise, a split cycle air con in heating mode, or a purpose designed heat pump will be more efficient, joule for joule, than any electric panel heater or gas fire.

Basically if you are using a fuel to create heat, it can be near 100% efficient, but that's it. Since a heat pump is actually moving heat from one place to the other, not creating it, it can 3-400% efficient.

Although I'd still be looking at solar passive+storage personally - given the location - if I at all could.
Garry, I would love it if you were my tenant, so you would be willing to install a reverse cycle air conditioner in the place you are renting, at your expense. you legend.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Next best after that lot.... Gas oven with the door open....not kidding either. If your that cold your getting plenty of ventilation by the sounds of things.

That's early 70's stuff though.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Koolcat
Thanks for replies yeah it gets cold out here at night in winter -beautiful during the day though - frost on windscreen in the mornings before sun comes up. We have air con but its not reverse cycle which is a shame. Our unit is pretty shaded which is great during the hot summer but doesnt retain any heat in winter
We roughed it last year and just rugged up but we have a newborn baby this year so need it a bit warmer
I'd be inclined to go for an oil filled column heater, for me the safety outweighs the higher running costs. I think it'd be pretty cost efficient if you just used it for really cold nights in bub's room, or you could put him/her in your room so you all get the benefit. I agree with the rug suggestion, I'd get a big room size one for the baby's room at least.
I think we tend to worry more about our newborns, but they're actually tough little buggers and even if you had no heating, your little one would probably be fine sleeping in their own cot in your room (bit more body generated heat!), a cuddly blanket and a big rug on the floor.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by derab
Garry, I would love it if you were my tenant, so you would be willing to install a reverse cycle air conditioner in the place you are renting, at your expense. you legend.
Sarky ....

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/reverse-...tioner-heater/

Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:52 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

Sorry Garry, couldn't resist

BTW, I dont know of anyone who has bought a portable air conditioner unit and liked it. they are as noisy as and they require an exhaust vent out of the building.

Last edited by derab; Mar 27th 2013 at 1:57 am.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I dont know of anyone who has bought a portable air conditioner unit and liked it. they are as noisy as and they require an exhaust vent out of the building.
I bought one a few years ago for cooling, absolute crap and a waste of money. They might have improved though!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

They are extremely handy if you don't have a proper plumbed in one - cooling where you want, when you want - or heating for that matter. Getting the right capacity for the right space is key - they are room-centric.

Providing you can get one cheap enough, I'd say they had their uses (particular when it gets up to 40C+ and you are melting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.