British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   cheapest way to fly: Sydney or Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cheapest-way-fly-sydney-brisbane-667736/)

miss_morph May 11th 2010 10:09 am

cheapest way to fly: Sydney or Brisbane

we will be going to Australia House, London, in July when the new SOL list is released then we will be booking our flights for August 2011. we want to do a reccie along the NSW coast heading north of Sydney and ending up around Brisbane areas, or vice versa.

What is the cheapest way to fly from UK (London airports)?
UK-Brisbane, drive south to Sydney, Sydney-UK, or
UK- Sydney, drive north to Brisbane, Brisbane-UK.

We will be going for 4 weeks in august next year as i work in a school so will be in school holidays and also we feel it's important to see both places in their winter time.

Any tips gratefully received! Especially regarding stop overs and cheapest airlines etc.

Sarah & Jez

bcworld May 11th 2010 10:36 am

Re: cheapest way to fly: Sydney or Brisbane

Originally Posted by miss_morph (Post 8557488)

No right answer to this...there wouldn't more than a few quid difference between the cheapest fares with either option, depends what's available on the days you want to travel. You won't be able to book until probably September this year so not much point in sussing out fares yet.

Ista May 11th 2010 1:02 pm

Re: cheapest way to fly: Sydney or Brisbane

Originally Posted by miss_morph (Post 8557488)
we will be going to Australia House, London, in July when the new SOL list is released then we will be booking our flights for August 2011. we want to do a reccie along the NSW coast heading north of Sydney and ending up around Brisbane areas, or vice versa.

Any tips gratefully received! Especially regarding stop overs and cheapest airlines etc.

Sarah & Jez

Hiya. :)
My kneejerk reaction would be that Sydney would be cheaper to fly into, mainly because it's a bigger city and probably has more flights/airlines and thus more competition. However, you could get a deal on a brisbane flight so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

As for the airlines, it's worth keeping track (especially this summer since you're going next summer) on what airlines are charging what. You can do this on sites like skyscanner.net, which allow you to chart prices over each day in a particular month - quite useful. Skyscanner is also an aggregator, so it finds the best deals available over a range of sites...that way you don't need to go to each one!

Also, check out sites like ebookers.com (which I personally find MUCH better at finding deals than something like expedia)...there you can compare all the different airline fares. However, when it comes to booking, check each airline's site direct...we got a much better (in terms of price and flights) deal booking direct on the Qantas site than anything you could get on any of the third party sites, when I booked our flights for this Sep.

Also in terms of stop-overs, my favourites would be Singapore or Dubai. Also, it's worth making sure that your flight arrives late (afternoon or evening) so it's easier to get over the jetlag...sorry, that may be a really obvious point but loads of airlines come in in the morning and then you pretty much waste a day walking around like a zombie on no sleep! ;-)