Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to call uk

Cheapest way to call uk

Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all
Default Re: Cheapest way to call uk

Originally Posted by jmc
We have just had a package with Telsra but calls to the uk seem really expensive, what is the cheapest way to call uk ?

Thanks lou
Gotalk vouchers - go to Post office to obtain these - you just key in a pin number before you ring the UK. Calls cost approx. $0.003 per minute. $20 lasts for ages and each time you make a call it will update you on how much you have left. We ring back to the UK to parents and friends everyweek. We also use Skype.

Nat
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:24 am
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by datamile
Use a prepaid card

http://www.ozprepaidcards.com.au/Search_Result.asp

Some have connection fees, secs/minute billing etc. Ozcall is used by some as an example. 59c connection then 0.5c per minute to UK. Basically you dial the access number, enter your phone card id, and then the number to call.
yep quite a few prepaids to choose from but i found that the talking cow phone cards are the best so far, only 50c connection fee then 1c a minute to uk anytime! and it also lets you make follow on calls without having to reconnect again for another 50c
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:56 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
I must be missing something why would you pay $29 a month when I put $20 on my Skype account that will last about 2 -2,5 months and we use Skype all the time so works out so cheap??
As one of the other persons commented, we can use Skype anywhere in Perth, not just one room where the PC might be..... the other day I was driving on the freeway when a mate called from the UK on Skype... he couldn't belive I wasn't at home. It adds another dimension to Skype that previously I never had.... worth $29 in my opinion.

Neil.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:56 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

How does ths sound?

Buy an unlocked VOIP box, sign up with a UK company for £7.99pm, you then get free calls to UK landlines (Unlimited), really cheap calls to UK mobiles and to the likes of 0845, 0870 numbers which will still cost a fortune using a VOIP service from Aus. you can also call all your own Landline calls from Aus to ANYWHERE else in Aus ( FREE, FREE,FREE )

Now the best bit is: you get a number which is a local number in the area lets say where your family live in te UK and they can call your local number which will give them either free calls to Aus if they are on a free local call plan with their provider, so free calls for you to Uk and free calls for them to you in Aus:
If you are (required) to be in the UK for anything then you can give them your local UK number to call you

Originally Posted by muffinoz
Your parents don't need to have a pc for you to use VOIP ... I phone my mother over VOIP ... she wouldn't know a pc if there was one in her Wincarnis ...

We use Engin ... $20 per month for free landline calls anywhere in Oz and to about 10 counties worldwide inc the UK ... it's 22c per min to Oz mobiles

There was a fairly recent thread on all this ... in December I think ... worth doing a search

Cheers ... David

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Jan 11th 2008 at 9:00 am.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:03 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
As one of the other persons commented, we can use Skype anywhere in Perth, not just one room where the PC might be..... the other day I was driving on the freeway when a mate called from the UK on Skype... he couldn't belive I wasn't at home. It adds another dimension to Skype that previously I never had.... worth $29 in my opinion.

Neil.
How much are the Skype calls from the Mobile?? Sounds interesting!!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by want2bthere
yep quite a few prepaids to choose from but i found that the talking cow phone cards are the best so far, only 50c connection fee then 1c a minute to uk anytime! and it also lets you make follow on calls without having to reconnect again for another 50c
We also use Talking Cow i usually pay $100 and that lasts approx 3-4 months, thats calling the uk every day for at least 40-60 mins works out about $1 or 43pence an hr

John