Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Wikiposts

Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Originally Posted by rangersman
www.telediscount.co.uk
0844 861 4141 then dial number in Oz 1p per minute
Nic
Yeah that's what I used. I'm happy they'll chage me 1p per min, but can just see NTL charging me stupid money for the connection, but others on here say it'll be 5p so have hope! ...
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

wortho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Hi Lynn, I've used Skype for PC to PC long ago, and gave another go recently. To be honest both times I wasn't too impresed Thing that got me is how I could have a clear chat with a friend in Israel, yet to my mate down the road 20 miles away it was terrible ...lol, with REAL bad echo! (both with decent Broadband)

Both times! as I know Skype has got better recently, hence we all gave another go!

Not tried PC to landline tho, might be worth a shot!

Cheers
I have found that echo problems when using Skype are caused by feedback from the PC speakers to the Mic, try using headphones at both ends as it worked for me & no more echo issues.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Mum's got talk-talk and she says it's free evening and weekends to call me. Is she lying to save my bill or is it really free - anyone know?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:50 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by flip
Mum's got talk-talk and she says it's free evening and weekends to call me. Is she lying to save my bill or is it really free - anyone know?
Has she read the info correctly ?

It says: "Unlimited evening and weekend calls* to all UK landlines "
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...TICLE=PRODUCTS

International section says:
With TalkTalk calls to the following countries are only 5p to landlines and 29p to mobiles: Australia... etc

Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:11 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Havent read the thread so appologise if im repeating...

Skype/Skypeout....you only get teh problem with echo if you use speakers instead of headphones... Usually...
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Has she read the info correctly ?

It says: "Unlimited evening and weekend calls* to all UK landlines "
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...TICLE=PRODUCTS

International section says:
With TalkTalk calls to the following countries are only 5p to landlines and 29p to mobiles: Australia... etc
Thanks so much. I thought it couldn't be right. I'll let her know straight away.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by flip
If you are happy to receive calls from your PC, there is a way your mum can ring for free using TalkTalk.

What you need to do is sign up for a free Voip account with Sipgate, and you can get a free UK landline number. Calls to that will be sent over the net to you (if you have a sopftphone running on your computer), or directly to your phone (if you have an adaptor or similar).

If you are not online, then the call to your sipgate number can be made to go to voicemail which you will receive via email.

There is a trick to getting a sipgate landline number (technically you need to be logged into the net in the UK), but opublic proxy servers are your friend!

Granted, most of this Voip stuff is still firmly in geekland, but it does work and you can make huge savings on call costs.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

jaguaruk will become famous soon enoughjaguaruk will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We use TalkTalk, which is very similar to the BT's option 3, but you get 70 minutes rather than BT's 60 minutes free for UK calls', you just pay a fixed monthly charge.

The upside to TalkTalk is that we got FREE calls to USA, Canada, AND Australia for 12 months, so you can't get much cheaper than that.....

We have just purchased an investment property in Oz and the amount of calls we have made to Oz over the past few months, TalkTalk has more than paid for itself.

I don't know if the offer is still on for the free calls but it may be worth investiagting, we started with TalkTalk Dec 04.

Hope this helps.

Ken.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:08 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Ok, I need to make quite a lot of calls to Oz from the UK, and am sure I can pay less than with my phone provider going direct ?!

I'm with the dreaded NTL and I know when I looked into this last time, it was cheaper to use my mobile phone (Orange network) than use my home phone! ...lol.

Prices might have changed since, but I'm sure it was 35p per min with NTL, and 30p per min with Orange.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is any cards you can buy, or numbers you can call b4 you connect like in Oz, and get a discounted rate?

Much appreciate any pointers on this one! ...
we use homecall with one of their packages they have
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:42 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2004
Ok, I need to make quite a lot of calls to Oz from the UK, and am sure I can pay less than with my phone provider going direct ?!

I'm with the dreaded NTL and I know when I looked into this last time, it was cheaper to use my mobile phone (Orange network) than use my home phone! ...lol.

Prices might have changed since, but I'm sure it was 35p per min with NTL, and 30p per min with Orange.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is any cards you can buy, or numbers you can call b4 you connect like in Oz, and get a discounted rate?

Much appreciate any pointers on this one! ...
First this is not intended as spam, I just wanted to share some info which might save on everyones telephone bills.

Voipcheap is now offering FREE calls to Australia! www.voipcheap.com
Here is a list of the free countries.

Australia free
Belgium free
Denmark free
Finland free
Germany free
Greece free
Iceland free
Ireland free
Italy free
Liechtenstein free
Luxembourg free
Monaco free
Netherlands free
New Zealand free
Norway free
Portugal free
Spain free
Sweden free
Taiwan free
United Kingdom free
United States free

I understand to get the free calls you need to give them £10 credit, but so long as you call the free numbers the £10 credit remains. Im assume that all those £10 credit are invested and that must cover the call costs.

Regards
Neil.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:07 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Just use skype it's totally free
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Skype is only free to other computers though isn't it ??
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

I phone Australia a lot and my calls are cheaper than calling some places in the UK! I use Telco (they've been over taken by Onetel recently) but you can dedicate a country and can change it from month to month and my calls are 3p/min.

http://www.onetel.co.uk/
http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?node=telcoglobal
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silky Chicken
I phone Australia a lot and my calls are cheaper than calling some places in the UK! I use Telco (they've been over taken by Onetel recently) but you can dedicate a country and can change it from month to month and my calls are 3p/min.

http://www.onetel.co.uk/
http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?node=telcoglobal
Hi Silky Chicken.
Try 18866 they have a 2p / min to Oz and a connection charge of 3p soon to be 4p. I used to be with one tel and telco but found 18866 cheaper for all my uk calls as well. Monthly bill with one tel used to be approx £30 to £40/ month. Its now approx £12 with 18866

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.