Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Wikiposts

Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Old Aug 14th 2005, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Re: Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Ok, I need to make quite a lot of calls to Oz from the UK, and am sure I can pay less than with my phone provider going direct ?!

I'm with the dreaded NTL and I know when I looked into this last time, it was cheaper to use my mobile phone (Orange network) than use my home phone! ...lol.

Prices might have changed since, but I'm sure it was 35p per min with NTL, and 30p per min with Orange.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is any cards you can buy, or numbers you can call b4 you connect like in Oz, and get a discounted rate?

Much appreciate any pointers on this one! ...
Has anyone tried 18866.com Log on and register your phone number, all bills done online and charged to your credit card. Australia is 2p per min to landlines and 15p per min to mobiles.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Dazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant futureDazlinsky has a brilliant future

www.niftylist.co.uk

1p per minute!!!!!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone, plenty to be getting on with

Calling starts in about 2 hours if I'm still awake, we'll see!

Cheers!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Just had a lil look and sounds ideal! ...

Thanks
We are NTL too... 5p per connection and then 1p per minute... it really works!!

Julie
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JJJHM
We are NTL too... 5p per connection and then 1p per minute... it really works!!

Julie
Thanks ...
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

Ok, well Telediscount got the vote and I've just finished a couple of hours worth, just gonna hide when the bill comes in ... :scared:

LOL, should be ok, they tell you the price once you dial and the land lines were 1p per min, and 13p for the mobiles, which seems decent!

Prob just find NTL charge me £56,99 for each connection! ...lol

Cheers
Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:00 pm
ABCDiamond

For convenience there is always One-Tel, cheaper than your original "35p per min with NTL" at 4p per minute, or 3p if you have the UKTalk Plan + International Caller.

http://www.onetel.co.uk/

Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:01 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

as above i have found skype magic. i only get a delay if im looking at the web at the same time or running something else on the pc.
i speak to family nearly every day on skype and dont have a prob.
ps dont use a webcam at the same time, it ends up with about 6 second delay.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soapy
as above i have found skype magic. i only get a delay if im looking at the web at the same time or running something else on the pc.
i speak to family nearly every day on skype and dont have a prob.
ps dont use a webcam at the same time, it ends up with about 6 second delay.
Ok well prob worth another shot I guess. As I said earlier tho, I found with Skype I could chat with a friend in Israel (he always has his webcam on too!) without delays and stuff. Last few times we tied it was Crystal clear and as good as using a digital phone line, but could it run clear without stuttering with a friend not 20 miles away?? ...... nope! ...lol

We tried and tried, but the same everytime and we all ditched it.

To be honest tho, if that Telediscount turns up on my phone bill at 1p per min + 5p connection to my phone provider, then I really can't fault that as I had several 30 min + calls early this morning totalling over 2 hours and all superfine without a single glitch! ...

Can't complain at that can ya, and they reckon 13p per min to mobiles out there!

Waiting for the bill now tho ... :scared:
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

My M-I-L uses One-Tel to call us from UK to OZ and no probs - heaps cheaper too!!!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:22 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Ok well prob worth another shot I guess. As I said earlier tho, I found with Skype I could chat with a friend in Israel (he always has his webcam on too!) without delays and stuff. Last few times we tied it was Crystal clear and as good as using a digital phone line, but could it run clear without stuttering with a friend not 20 miles away?? ...... nope! ...lol

We tried and tried, but the same everytime and we all ditched it.

To be honest tho, if that Telediscount turns up on my phone bill at 1p per min + 5p connection to my phone provider, then I really can't fault that as I had several 30 min + calls early this morning totalling over 2 hours and all superfine without a single glitch! ...

Can't complain at that can ya, and they reckon 13p per min to mobiles out there!

Waiting for the bill now tho ... :scared:
jim i get a bit of a delay when i phone the uk. thets why i moved to skype and its free. cant work out why u and your mate couldnt get it going. i love it cos its free. even the cards bought in the uk are cheap. but for some reason it still puts people off phoning. i get up most morning to hear my old da on the pc. he never does it by phone, even if i pay for the card
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

jim i get a bit of a delay when i phone the uk. thets why i moved to skype and its free. cant work out why u and your mate couldnt get it going. i love it cos its free. even the cards bought in the uk are cheap. but for some reason it still puts people off phoning. i get up most morning to hear my old da on the pc. he never does it by phone, even if i pay for the card
Yeah as I say, I'll give it another go.

As to me and me mate, well we both have 1mb Broadband and my mate in Israel shares a 512k line with about 400 ppl! ....lol

Work that one out!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:27 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Yeah as I say, I'll give it another go.

As to me and me mate, well we both have 1mb Broadband and my mate in Israel shares a 512k line with about 400 ppl! ....lol

Work that one out!
maybe your mate was on dial up and was just braggin about being on BB
good luck with it jim, if its shit, just get rid of it
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

www.telediscount.co.uk
0844 861 4141 then dial number in Oz 1p per minute
Nic
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

maybe your mate was on dial up and was just braggin about being on BB
good luck with it jim, if its shit, just get rid of it
LOL, naaah, I know he does have BB. Yeah we give a go now and then, normally after one of us hears how better it's got but we just can't get it to work right between all of us, so ppl stop using it.

1p per min is good with me! even if free IS better! ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.