Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

Ok, I need to make quite a lot of calls to Oz from the UK, and am sure I can pay less than with my phone provider going direct ?!

I'm with the dreaded NTL and I know when I looked into this last time, it was cheaper to use my mobile phone (Orange network) than use my home phone! ...lol.

Prices might have changed since, but I'm sure it was 35p per min with NTL, and 30p per min with Orange.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is any cards you can buy, or numbers you can call b4 you connect like in Oz, and get a discounted rate?

Much appreciate any pointers on this one! ...
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:39 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cheapest way to call Oz from UK?

What about joining www.skype.com - free telephone calls computer to computer or register for skype out - where you can phone from your computer to landlines in Oz for a cheap price - a penny a minute to almost anywhere in world inc Australia.

Software free to download and lots of people have said its really good - all you need is a decent mic.

Lynn

Last edited by lynnlovessun; Aug 14th 2005 at 4:41 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

I have used ALPHA telecom for years. Brilliant!
suzannepatricia
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
What about joining www.skype.com - free telephone calls computer to computer or register for skype out - where you can phone from your computer to landlines in Oz for a cheap price - a penny a minute to almost anywhere in world inc Australia.

Software free to download and lots of people have said its really good - all you need is a decent mic.

Lynn
Hi Lynn, I've used Skype for PC to PC long ago, and gave another go recently. To be honest both times I wasn't too impresed Thing that got me is how I could have a clear chat with a friend in Israel, yet to my mate down the road 20 miles away it was terrible ...lol, with REAL bad echo! (both with decent Broadband)

Both times! as I know Skype has got better recently, hence we all gave another go!

Not tried PC to landline tho, might be worth a shot!

Cheers
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
I have used ALPHA telecom for years. Brilliant!
suzannepatricia
Hi, how does that work? sorry, never heard of them
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:02 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

I use telediscount which is 1p per minute UK to Australia. Lots of other places for 1p/min as well. Here's the link http://www.telediscount.co.uk/

Hope it helps, Katy
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
I use telediscount which is 1p per minute UK to Australia. Lots of other places for 1p/min as well. Here's the link http://www.telediscount.co.uk/

Hope it helps, Katy
Just had a lil look and sounds ideal! ...

Thanks
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

Skype and SkypeOn are ideal.
Yes there can be problems with delay / echo etc but what do you expect for nothing !!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

emmarebecca is an unknown quantity at this point

the post office sell phone cards starting at £5 giving you around 200 minutes landline to landline but do involve lots of button pushing..phone number(UK)..access number..phone number(Aus) hope that helps a little!!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by emmarebecca
the post office sell phone cards starting at £5 giving you around 200 minutes landline to landline but do involve lots of button pushing..phone number(UK)..access number..phone number(Aus) hope that helps a little!!
Yeah I used these type of cards in Oz to call back home. As you say lots of button pushing, but a lot cheeper than from the phone box! ...

I'll check it out, ta
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jarv
Skype and SkypeOn are ideal.
Yes there can be problems with delay / echo etc but what do you expect for nothing !!
True, but would sooner pay for a decent line really, just not 35p per min hopefully!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:34 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Ok, I need to make quite a lot of calls to Oz from the UK, and am sure I can pay less than with my phone provider going direct ?!

I'm with the dreaded NTL and I know when I looked into this last time, it was cheaper to use my mobile phone (Orange network) than use my home phone! ...lol.

Prices might have changed since, but I'm sure it was 35p per min with NTL, and 30p per min with Orange.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is any cards you can buy, or numbers you can call b4 you connect like in Oz, and get a discounted rate?

Much appreciate any pointers on this one! ...
Have you tryed shouting
Skype gets my vote
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

We use Orange to call Aus as well as we have family out there. Just a point if you pay £3 per month to Orange your calls to Aus are very, very, very much cheaper.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

We use telediscount all the while. I was sceptical about the claims at first but we have had loads of bills and they never even appear on the bill cause the bill only list calls greater than 50p. This means you can talk for half an hour at the same price you'd get one minute using your provider direct.

Jim2004: We use NTL as well so you are definitely safe calling the number. I know that some providers charge more than quoted on the telediscount web page but we checked with NTL and have since used this method.

Happy chatting...
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:54 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Skype or Gizmo (same as Skype, but standards based) www.gizmoproject.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.