Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to call England from Australian mobile?

Cheapest way to call England from Australian mobile?

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest way to call England from Australian mobile?

Hi Brian,

It seems I was out of date with some of my Amaysim prices

A full list of their charges and options can be found here...

http://www.amaysim.com.au/

Originally Posted by brian.w
I found this on another post is this better?what is the coverage like on them both who do they use?
vaya.net.au
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hino
Hi Brian,

It seems I was out of date with some of my Amaysim prices

A full list of their charges and options can be found here...

http://www.amaysim.com.au/
when you compare the two which one is best?are there others out there not mentioned yet,i use giff gaff here in the uk for payg phone ideal and cheap this reminds me on this and would be ideal when we move over there good to get the most out of these deals and to save as much as possible.
When i have been in oz past trips when i was traveling always used vodaphone but i do like the sound of this and the one i had mentioned what the one better value,and what is the coverage like who is the network
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

I use PennyTel. You set up a numbers in your state which forward to your friends or family's number in the UK. So from my mobile I dial a local Australian number, which comes off my bundled minutes and it goes though to the UK.

The cost is a flat fee of 8c for the whole call, regardless of how long, plus using my included minutes, there is no other charge involved.

Its a bit of hassle to set up, but I also use them at home for VOIP, where the call is just 8c, so my Mrs can speak to her mum for hours for almost no cost, sometimes not a good thing. I also have UK numbers which forward to my VOIP so UK people can call us for the cost of a local call.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coldbeer
I use PennyTel. You set up a numbers in your state which forward to your friends or family's number in the UK. So from my mobile I dial a local Australian number, which comes off my bundled minutes and it goes though to the UK.
I think this is the cheapest way. It's called SmartDial and doesn't require any special equipment/knowledge to set it up.
https://www.pennytel.com.au/personal...ures/smartdial

If you don't want to faff around with Voip phones/ATAs, you can use web and ANI callbacks to take advantage of Pennytel's prices. https://www.pennytel.com.au/personal...tures/callback

Of course, if you do wish to faff around (not difficult), you can have Aus and other countries' numbers ringing in your Aus lounge. I no longer have a fixed line but use Voip - a number is $5/year and all the features Optus charge you for, you get free, e.g., voice-mail, CLID...
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I no longer have a fixed line but use Voip - a number is $5/year and all the features Optus charge you for, you get free, e.g., voice-mail, CLID...
This is Naked-DSL, but unfortunately its not available everywhere, and not in my area sadly, so I do have a fixed line, but no phone plugged into it which seems a waste of money but its needed for my broadband.

My ADSL Router is VOIP enabled (i.e. it has a built in ATA) so I just connect a DECT phone to this and can access VOIP from all the DECT phones in my house. I was a bit technical to set up, anyone who's not into networking should probably go with a VOIP handset.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Can you have Skype on your mobile phone?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coldbeer
This is Naked-DSL, but unfortunately its not available everywhere, and not in my area sadly, so I do have a fixed line, but no phone plugged into it which seems a waste of money but its needed for my broadband.
Actually, it's Optus broadband cable.

I'm surprised that you can't get a naked supplier. I thought they were everywhere. Interestingly, I can't get ADSL as I had an Optus line - to get ADSL I would have had to get a Telstra line installed and then ditch it. Mind you, 20Mbps on cable ain't bad.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Machine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by naomilondon
Where are you that you can't get internet? We have Adsl with Telstra really expensive and really poor service! It drops out every 10 mins or so. One skype call becomes about 4 where we lose the connection all the time!
A suburb in North Brisbane. Crazy isn't it? My neighbours waited three years for their neighbours to move so they could nab their line.

Originally Posted by Molko1974
Can you have Skype on your mobile phone?
I'm sure I could but not sure if that would incur costs/use up my minutes. Also our reception isn't great so I would be concerned that it would drop out all the time which would just frustrate all involved, not least of all a heavily pregnant and hormonal female - i.e. me. I'm not technically minded at all. I will have to get the other half to read through this thread to make sense of it and work out what would be best/easiest for us.

Thanks so much for all the info. It's really helpful. It does all seem pretty convoluted considering you can pop into virtually any store in London (and I'm sure the rest of the country) and buy a cheap rate phone card to pretty much call anywhere in world.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Actually, it's Optus broadband cable.

I'm surprised that you can't get a naked supplier. I thought they were everywhere. Interestingly, I can't get ADSL as I had an Optus line - to get ADSL I would have had to get a Telstra line installed and then ditch it. Mind you, 20Mbps on cable ain't bad.
Fair enough, but no cable or Naked DSL is available for us, in fact I was very lucky to snag a port when we bought the house. We're not exactly rural either AFAIK getting naked is down to the exchange and ours doesn't support it.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Machine
A suburb in North Brisbane. Crazy isn't it? My neighbours waited three years for their neighbours to move so they could nab their line.
Bugger. Sounds like north lakes...it's always been infamous for internet issues. Roll on the NBN.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Amaysim as other people have said are cheap

I use lebara. Very good and piggyback off vodafone rather than Optus. Voda have sorted their network out now. I'm in sydney.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

the logmein app on my iphone is fantastic, uses a local number to call so that means it is included in my phone plan. i think they also charge 1c a minute
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Machine is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, it's all the newer suburbs. Mind you ours is about 15 years old so no excuse really.

Originally Posted by fish.01
Bugger. Sounds like north lakes...it's always been infamous for internet issues. Roll on the NBN.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
the logmein app on my iphone is fantastic, uses a local number to call so that means it is included in my phone plan. i think they also charge 1c a minute
whats the app called im in uk and tried to find it but does not seem to come up with it just other ones called logmein,i wanted to add this to my phone now so maybe be usefull when over there,i dont have iphone though a samsung galaxy
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:31 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
the logmein app on Australian iTunes is a PC/Laptop access app for gaining access whilst you are away, it is not a phone dialling app...is it known by another name in Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.