Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cheapest time of year to travel

cheapest time of year to travel

Old Jan 1st 2004, 1:11 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default cheapest time of year to travel

hi folks,
anyone in the travel industry, or had experience, in estimating what is the cheapest time of year to travel (return journey uk-oz- uk)?
noticed prices drop quite considerably after mid April , and also that around october time a lot of agents advertise flights around £499 if traveling oct/nov and returning on certain dates in nov/dec.
is it also cheaper/more flexible to book direct with the airline than through a travel agent?

any advice gratefully received!

cheers!!

Sue
Old Jan 1st 2004, 2:19 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Hi TWT,
Singapore are already offering via Lees travel £550 to most Oz states & NZ upto April, come with me, hope to go in the next 4-6 weeks. Happy new year.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheapest time of year to travel

Not sure that there is very much between times of year that are much cheaper, but apparently, if you book early with the airline you can get flights cheaper.

I also recommend you try Direct flights. Found them to be very good. I can try and find you the number if you need it.

Whisky

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi folks,
anyone in the travel industry, or had experience, in estimating what is the cheapest time of year to travel (return journey uk-oz- uk)?
noticed prices drop quite considerably after mid April , and also that around october time a lot of agents advertise flights around £499 if traveling oct/nov and returning on certain dates in nov/dec.
is it also cheaper/more flexible to book direct with the airline than through a travel agent?

cheers!!

Sue
Old Jan 1st 2004, 3:14 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I usually fly either April or Sept/Oct, as they seem to be cheaper times. Booking early is a good idea, my flights have gone up since I booked them. I use travelmood or travelbag.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 7:33 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi folks,

cheers!!

Sue
But they probably shoot back up mid June when the European summer high season starts. It is rare that booking through the airline gets you a cheaper flight. Mid September to Mid Novemeber is also cheaper.

For some research try

www.opodo.co.uk
www.ebookers.com
www.expedia.co.uk
www.deckchair.co.uk
www.lastminute.com
www.qantas.co.uk
www.ba.com
http://www.jal-europe.com/langs/english/main.html

Singapore Airlines
Cathay Pacific
Old Jan 1st 2004, 8:22 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
But they probably shoot back up mid June when the European summer high season starts. It is rare that booking through the airline gets you a cheaper flight. Mid September to Mid Novemeber is also cheaper.

For some research try

www.opodo.co.uk
www.ebookers.com
www.expedia.co.uk
www.deckchair.co.uk
www.lastminute.com
www.qantas.co.uk
www.ba.com
http://www.jal-europe.com/langs/english/main.html

Singapore Airlines
Cathay Pacific
hi bp!
thanks for those links - I have spent most of today on the internet trying to find cheap flights! eventually got a return flight for us 2 and 3 kids for 2750 (16th april-4th may) - now we just have to get accomodation sorted.
you are right about the airlines not being cheaper - Ithe cheapest I could get on singapore was for over £20k!!!!!!!!!!! no offers around at present apparently!

back to the keyboard...

Sue
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We used a company called Cheapest Flights who I found on the web. As I couldn't get the deal that I wanted I rang them up and the girl rang me up with this deal and that deal until she found us a deal far cheaper etc, couldn't have been more helpful.

It is worth ringing them as they can often get you a better deal.

By the way, how much does it cost one way to oz, maybe with a couple of stop overs on the way, 3 adults one child?

Mandy
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 7:11 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Also try looking at the travel section of the Sunday times (or other papers) at the ads.

In last Sunday paper departures for 2/9/16 Jan to Sydney for £399 return - weather you can actually get the price advertised or not is another thing
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 7:20 pm

Originally posted by walaj
Also try looking at the travel section of the Sunday times (or other papers) at the ads.

In last Sunday paper departures for 2/9/16 Jan to Sydney for £399 return - weather you can actually get the price advertised or not is another thing
I saw that in the Mail - it was advertising one way for £149!!
perhaps that is the barnstorming seat!!!

sue
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 7:28 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins is the barnstorming seat!!!
sue
you mean that you get a seat.

Now whats the betting, that when we want to actually go that we could get a ticket for anything near that price?