Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest/safest place to buy a camera when living in Australia?

Cheapest/safest place to buy a camera when living in Australia?

Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Smile Cheapest/safest place to buy a camera when living in Australia?

Hi Guys

I am looking to buy a camera, I live in QLD. They appear to be cheaper online than in the stores can anyone recommend anywhere where they have got a good deal.

Also, is it better to buy a camera online from an Australian website or does it matter, would it be safe to buy one from the US and get it delivered. Amazon sell cameras, would that be a good place?

Thanks

Last edited by jacknscoob; Jul 9th 2012 at 1:14 am.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cheapest/safest place to buy a camera when living in Australia?

We got our Nikon DSLR 5100 from Kogan.com.au - loads cheaper than the Oz shops and no problems at all with delivery, came through Fedex. Would recommend them.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

nicolac34, thanks for the recommendation.

If you have time, what were the top 5 reasons you chose that camera? Dont worry if you dont. I am in the midst of trying to choose a new camera and the more research and the more I learn the more complex it all gets...LOL
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Hmmm, not sure I can remember 5 now! I think we wanted an entry level DSLR as we have only used point-and-shoots and I wanted to take better photos. I'd seen really good photos on a travel blog and asked the person what their camera was and they said the Nikon D5000. The 5100 was the next model out.

The Nikon had really good reviews and was one of the latest models so we decided to go with that one. There are so many to choose from that in the end we decided we couldn't go far wrong with this one.

We've had it a few months now and so far have been really happy with the quality, even if it's just on 'auto'. We've started to dable in more of the settings and have seen the difference in the photos, it's certainly a learning process though and we still have to have a few goes before we get a good shot. We went on a beginners course that was a couple of hours which taught us the basics - well worth doing.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:13 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I've bought from these guys in the past (Nikon D90 + a couple of lenses, filters etc etc):

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/digital-cameras

There may be slightly cheaper places around - but I liked the security of picking stuff up from their store ("store" is a bit of an exageration - its a front desk to a warehouse in a small industrial park on the Gold Coast)
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:30 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

These guys are good too - got a real store (in Sydney though) which gives a bit more comfort when spending big $$ online.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/
Old Jul 9th 2012, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I was after a Canon SX30 and the Web prices looked best. Then went in to Clive Peeters and asked if they could match it, they were within $10 of it so I bought it. He wanted to sell me a big official Canon bag for $20 but it was to big and bulky, Similar ones were $80/$100. Its worth asking.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you don't pay for features you don't want!
What are you going to use it for?
Do you want the bother of changing lenses or would a single longer range zoom be better for you?
Do you want to buy a package body and lenses? Should you choose them separately?

Read about things - www.dpreview.com

Get what you need , not what is the best bargain.
Get a guarantee valid in Australia. My latest DSLR body was repaired twice in its first year.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nicolac34
We got our Nikon DSLR 5100 from Kogan.com.au - loads cheaper than the Oz shops and no problems at all with delivery, came through Fedex. Would recommend them.
I was literally going to ask about Kogan..

Are they worth using? I was going to buy a Samsung phone from them..
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate

Like I said, we would recommend them. They've got customer service in Australia - our UK credit card was blocked at the time OH used it to buy the camera (stupid Post Office kept thinking we were making 'suspicious transactions') and they followed up with emails and phone calls until it was resolved. So there are real people behind this Company that you can speak to if you have an issue.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate

They're fine, although I wouldn't buy one of their own brand big ticket items.

I bought a Samsung Nexus phone from Kogan recently, they're grey imports from Hong Kong and work fine here. Just be prepared for the screen to be in Chinese when you switch it on for the first time, but that was easily changed!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi Guys

I am looking to buy a camera, I live in QLD. They appear to be cheaper online than in the stores can anyone recommend anywhere where they have got a good deal.

Also, is it better to buy a camera online from an Australian website or does it matter, would it be safe to buy one from the US and get it delivered. Amazon sell cameras, would that be a good place?

Thanks
Plenty of grey import websites with very good prices.
Officeworks can be good. Very competitive and will price-match (even for online). Not the greatest selection, but the bigger stores are better.
JB Hifi can be competitive at times.

This is one area where we are pretty good price-wise, especially if you are prepared to do research and shop around.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I've bought from these guys in the past (Nikon D90 + a couple of lenses, filters etc etc):

http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/digital-cameras

There may be slightly cheaper places around - but I liked the security of picking stuff up from their store ("store" is a bit of an exageration - its a front desk to a warehouse in a small industrial park on the Gold Coast)
We've also bought from these guys online and picked up at their store on the Coast.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lesleys
Make sure you don't pay for features you don't want!
What are you going to use it for?
Do you want the bother of changing lenses or would a single longer range zoom be better for you?
Do you want to buy a package body and lenses? Should you choose them separately?

Read about things - www.dpreview.com

Get what you need , not what is the best bargain.
Get a guarantee valid in Australia. My latest DSLR body was repaired twice in its first year.
lesleys - Yes dpreview is very useful. The reason for my new camera is for a new hobby, I would say I am a beginner but not completely.
My initial short need list is:
- quickest performance without being a DSLR (i dont want to change lenses)
- viewfinder
- 10x - 25x zoom
- HD video
- IS
Budget $200-$300 approx

Starting out my research I wanted one that wasnt too bulky or heavy but research so far tells me that these do not exist.

So far I am thinking of buying the Panasonic DMC FZ47. I can buy this for $285 from America (compared to $512 here).

I am still umming and erring about the size / weight. I have spent what feels like millions of hours researching these cameras and learning all about them. If you are an enthusiast I am running another thread on a Geek forum which may be of interest to you

Cheers J x
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
So far I am thinking of buying the Panasonic DMC FZ47. I can buy this for $285 from America (compared to $512 here).
http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...2dFZ48%29.html
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...onic-fz47.html
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/...idProduct=3847

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.