Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheapest place to buy food on Sunshine Coast??

Cheapest place to buy food on Sunshine Coast??

Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Cheapest place to buy food on Sunshine Coast??

Hiya Everyone

Since we landed in the Sunshine Coast last week we have found the price of food expensive. In the UK we used to shop at Lidl and Netto. There is not an Aldi near us here. We are in Mooloolaba.

Can anyone recommend anywhere more reasonable than the expensive Coles and Woolworths?

Also, we really like Indian food. Are there any Indain shops where you can buy indian ingrediants?? So we can cook our own?

Here's hoping!

J n P Spinkway

Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:19 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest place to buy food on Sunshine Coast??

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hiya Everyone

Since we landed in the Sunshine Coast last week we have found the price of food expensive. In the UK we used to shop at Lidl and Netto. There is not an Aldi near us here. We are in Mooloolaba.

Can anyone recommend anywhere more reasonable than the expensive Coles and Woolworths?

Also, we really like Indian food. Are there any Indain shops where you can buy indian ingrediants?? So we can cook our own?

Here's hoping!

J n P Spinkway

hey guys we're in caloundra and use the meat market in wises road, maroochydore and micks meat barn, warana, then get the rest at woolies - have given up on coles, but even they're cheaper than the IGA!

you can prob get some indian food ingredients from this search:
http://www.mysunshinecoast.com.au/bu...ogKeyWord=true
Old Mar 18th 2006, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

sarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hiya Everyone

Here's hoping!

J n P Spinkway

Hi
Have you tried Bi-Lo at Kawana, its cheaper than Coles and Woolies. We've tried lots of fruit/veg and butchers shops in the area but to be honest the quality hasn't been that good - maybe we were just unlucky, but we ended up throwing a lot of stuff away - false economy!

I can't help with the Indian ingredients I'm afraid, but if you find a source let me know and we'll be round for a decent curry!!

Good Luck
Sarah
Old Mar 18th 2006, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

helen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura about

There is an indian shop selling all spices and everything you could possibly wish for a fantastic curry,on Hilton Terrace Noosaville on the left just before noosa harbour, next door to Bowls Club.Dont know where you in Sunshine Coast tho hope this helps,let me know how the curry went! Helen.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 4:15 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Hi
I find I have to go to different places for things in order to get good quality/cheap prices.

Nikos Fruit n Veg - Aerodrome Rd (for fruit n veg of course - also good for bread/fresh eggs)
Meat World/Fish World - Wises Rd Maroochydore - good meat and fish, also good for bread/eggs)
(I hated Fruit World which is next door)
Toiletries - can find cheap stuff at Crazy Clarkes / Warehouse
Tins/general household - Bi Lo Kawana if you can be bothered. They have a sale day on a Wednesay which I have never been to which is supposed to be great.

There's a Chinese/Asian supermarket come restaurant called Melinda's in Kawana (Niklin Way) so I've been told, which is supposed to be good for Asian ingredients but I'm not about about Indian.

Good luck
Sunshine Sarah
Old Mar 19th 2006, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
There's a Chinese/Asian supermarket come restaurant called Melinda's in Kawana (Niklin Way) so I've been told, which is supposed to be good for Asian ingredients but I'm not about about Indian.

Good luck
Sunshine Sarah
Yeah, we go here loads (as I thinks its the only Asia on the Sunshine Coast!). Melinda is Thai I think, but she stocks the usual Chinese stuff and plenty of Thai plus a little Indonesian. Most of your base spices for Indian should be found here.

Whoa, I've just noticed you're in Buderim. I lived there for a while with friends. Beautiful town but have you seen the house prices !! Buderim is so high, the diesel ute barely makes it up some of those hills, and my ears pop every time ! Still, the views....

Oh, back to the post, theres another place to try in Maroochydore in (I think) the Sunshine shopping plaza (the one with Bunnings in it). Its on the RH side (as you come from Maroochydore). Quite cheap in there, and a good butcher section. And bread is 99c rather than the usual ~$3 rip off.

Last edited by lostpom; Mar 19th 2006 at 5:14 am. Reason: beacuse I can
Old Mar 19th 2006, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

sarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lostpom
Yeah, we go here loads (as I thinks its the only Asia on the Sunshine Coast!). Melinda is Thai I think, but she stocks the usual Chinese stuff and plenty of Thai plus a little Indonesian. Most of your base spices for Indian should be found here.

Whoa, I've just noticed you're in Buderim. I lived there for a while with friends. Beautiful town but have you seen the house prices !! Buderim is so high, the diesel ute barely makes it up some of those hills, and my ears pop every time ! Still, the views....

Oh, back to the post, theres another place to try in Maroochydore in (I think) the Sunshine shopping plaza (the one with Bunnings in it). Its on the RH side (as you come from Maroochydore). Quite cheap in there, and a good butcher section. And bread is 99c rather than the usual ~$3 rip off.
I think that place is called Coco's - its got a small supermarket bit and a butchers to the side of it. The at the Sunshine Homemakers Centre - basically, if you've found Bunnings, you're there!!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sarahge
I think that place is called Coco's - its got a small supermarket bit and a butchers to the side of it. The at the Sunshine Homemakers Centre - basically, if you've found Bunnings, you're there!!
That sounds about right !

Theres also a fantastic Indian furniture place called Akasha in this business centre, I keep having to steer my OH away from the place every bloody time we go ! Anyone whos into this sort of stuff, check it out.