Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Australian university transfer - the big question

UK to Australian university transfer - the big question

Old Dec 16th 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Philhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the rough
Default UK to Australian university transfer - the big question

Hi everyone,

My family and I plan to move to Brisbane during 2007, the exact date has yet to be arranged. We have two kids, both currently at university in the UK. We all currently hold a 136 skilled independent visa, the final date for entry is Feb 2009. Has anyone out there had the experience of their children moving to Australia to continue their university education? My wife and I would like to keep the family together, the university issues is something we need to address.

We have the following options to consider:

1. The kids complete their studies in the UK, unfortunately their visas will have expired before they have completed their courses. They will need to re-apply for a 136 visa on their own, we will have been in Australia for nearly two years by this time. How will this option work, do they start from scratch again, medicals, paperwork, costs?
2. Move out with us next year and take a university place in Brisbane.

Option 2 would be our preferred choice; however we don’t know what the requirements are for such a transfer, will the qualifications from the UK allow entry to the Australian education system for example?

Any comments or experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil and family
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Australian university transfer - the big question

Originally Posted by Philhowe
Hi everyone,

My family and I plan to move to Brisbane during 2007, the exact date has yet to be arranged. We have two kids, both currently at university in the UK. We all currently hold a 136 skilled independent visa, the final date for entry is Feb 2009. Has anyone out there had the experience of their children moving to Australia to continue their university education? My wife and I would like to keep the family together, the university issues is something we need to address.

1. The kids complete their studies in the UK, unfortunately their visas will have expired before they have completed their courses. They will need to re-apply for a 136 visa on their own, we will have been in Australia for nearly two years by this time. How will this option work, do they start from scratch again, medicals, paperwork, costs?

Option 2 would be our preferred choice; however we don’t know what the requirements are for such a transfer, will the qualifications from the UK allow entry to the Australian education system for example?

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil and family
Not sure what the answer is however if your *kids* don't come over on the visa they had already been granted, then they can either ask for the validation date to be deferred [from what I can gather this is highly unlikly to be allowed as they are strict] or alternatively your *kids* can finish off their UK Uni course and apply for a visa in their own right.

Be aware though that skilled 136 visa usually requires relevant work experience for X amount of years as well as qualifications. Also, not all UK universities or Uni courses are deemed acceptable in terms of a pass. Also in most cases world wide recognised accreditation is required. And of course any new application would require a re-run of the rigmarole of police checks, medicals, skills assessment and all associated costs etc, etc..

Not sure what the answer is that suits you and your family best but personally I would be inclined to move them here and take a course in Aus. Before anything though I would seek advice from a reputable migration agent to tease out all options.

Good luck

[*kids* as they actually adults]
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:39 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil and family
As the other poster said, if they remain, then they will run the risks associated with a new application - Having to obtain a new skills assessment, gaining the required work experience, a new application etc... Initially you should check that the courses your offspring are enrolled on lead to occupations on the SOL. If they don't then they are immediately in trouble for that route.

The best plan for you is to contact the univeristy in Brisbane that your offspring would like to study at. Speak to them, and see what credit, if any, they are likely to receive from theit british studies. Some Universities are very flexible on this, others are not.

Be aware that as newly arrived immigrants and not citizens, then you will not be eligible for any kind of fees help, HECS etc. This means that they (more probably you) will have to stump up the yearly course fees at the beginning of the year. I think that they will be eligible for Commonwealth assisted places if they choose social related courses such as teaching, but don't quote me on this. Also, I don't think that they will have to pay international student fees, but again, don't quote me on that.

S
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Philhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the rough

Hi again,

Just a quick one to say thanks for the post regarding my question. I have just sent emails to a couple of universities in Brisbane to see what the options are.

Phil and the kids (Adults!)
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil and family
Hi Phil, my son did 1 year at Bolton Uni, and he hated it, and so failed that year.
We emigrated here 2 years ago and I had to get him here on a student visa, with his girlfriend. Scott had a N Diploma so he got 120 points credited, so only has to do 2 years of the 3, which for us is good, as it is costing me $16,000 a year. He has done his 1 st year [In Perth] and thoroughly enjoyed it, he got his results today, 3 distinctions and a merit, Im soooo proud.
He loves Perth, and would never have done as well in UK.
My daughter did not have enough points for Uni with her A levels as they dont count General studies, so she did a 6 month course at TAFE which was a pathway to Uni, so all good there.
Denise
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:58 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Phil,

let's hope the "kids" will be sensible and go for option 2 .

As to what credits they would get for the course work they've already completed in the UK will vary from university to university. Best thing to do, contact the universities in question and ask them.

As for the fees that are payable: Search for posts by "Yosemite" and send him a pm. Although he is not a "kid", and he is studying at Bond University which isn't in Queensland, he knows how the ystem works re studying in Australia and should be able to point in the right direction.

Good luck

Gina
Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi Phil, my son did 1 year at Bolton Uni, and he hated it, and so failed that year.
We emigrated here 2 years ago and I had to get him here on a student visa, with his girlfriend. Scott had a N Diploma so he got 120 points credited, so only has to do 2 years of the 3, which for us is good, as it is costing me $16,000 a year. He has done his 1 st year [In Perth] and thoroughly enjoyed it, he got his results today, 3 distinctions and a merit, Im soooo proud.
He loves Perth, and would never have done as well in UK.
My daughter did not have enough points for Uni with her A levels as they dont count General studies, so she did a 6 month course at TAFE which was a pathway to Uni, so all good there.
Denise
In the wrong hands this evidence could be used by some to justify how poor the education system is in Australia compared to the UK! Motivation and a change of scene can be powerful factors though.

OzTennis
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK

As for the fees that are payable: Search for posts by "Yosemite" and send him a pm. Although he is not a "kid", and he is studying at Bond University which isn't in Queensland, he knows how the ystem works re studying in Australia and should be able to point in the right direction.

heheheheh

yosemite is a she... she is in her early 20s.... and Bond University is in queensland....

Phil..... PMed you!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:52 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Phil - Definitely contact each of the unis individually that your children are interested in attending. All the unis have their own set of admissions rules, and what is acceptable to one uni will not be acceptable to another. The good news is that most unis will offer credit for tertiary studies competed at another institution, and many have reciprocal agreements with o/s unis to enable a smooth transition and credit transfer. I'm currently working at the Uni of Qld so if you want any help with their admissions team then please drop me a line.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
In the wrong hands this evidence could be used by some to justify how poor the education system is in Australia compared to the UK! Motivation and a change of scene can be powerful factors though.

OzTennis
I was just stating a fact, I think change of scenery, lifestyle, more relaxed is a big factor. In Uk he had to travel in 2 hours of traffic and half the time the lecturerer did not turn up.
Lancaster Uni, is a wonderful University, and thats where we lived, but they did not run the course there, which Scott wanted to do.
Here he is 10 mins from Mt Lawley, and it is in a beautiful setting, which helps.
Denise
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil and family
We are living in Caloundra on the sunshine coast . Approximately 1hr from brisbane cbd.Our daughter starts her int biusness degree at the university of sunshine coast in feb. Got in on her a level results. H as cost us 12000 dollars a year though
Raven