Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap Water Bill

Cheap Water Bill

Old May 5th 2010, 11:29 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheap Water Bill

Just had our water bill today $42.00 for 3 and a half months, for a family of 5 who run 2 showers, baths, dishwasher and washing machine- it seems a bit cheap to me! I have checked the meter and it goes round when we run the tap. We have only used 120 units since we moved in!!
Old May 5th 2010, 12:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Cheap Water Bill

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings View Post
Just had our water bill today $42.00 for 3 and a half months, for a family of 5 who run 2 showers, baths, dishwasher and washing machine- it seems a bit cheap to me! I have checked the meter and it goes round when we run the tap. We have only used 120 units since we moved in!!
Is that just for the actual consumption ?
Ours was $97 last quarter, 3 bathrooms, a teenager who thinks water comes out of the sky, garden to keep green and a pool to keep full, although we still stayed under the water advised limit.

57 kl at $1.70 per kilolitre in 3 months.

Old May 5th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I still am surprised at how cheap water bills are here despite the ongoing threat of drought and lack of water.
However, my 6 monthly charge for water averages $50, F**k all. We are 65%below the average for the suburb we live and we don't know why. My bore pump failed a few weeks ago, so I have now repaired that and brought it back on line, but as it is winter I won't use it. I'll use mains/shire water for my vegy garden as it will be cheaper than running my pump.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:39 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why it is so low, we moved rental property at the end of Jan this Year, but where we were before we paid about $175 a quarter, so this one seems really low!!
Old May 7th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings View Post
I don't know why it is so low, we moved rental property at the end of Jan this Year, but where we were before we paid about $175 a quarter, so this one seems really low!!
$175 a quarter for water usage sounds very high. This sounds more like you were charged the rates as well as the actual water usage, unless you had a very large leak...
Old May 7th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Your previous bill was pretty high. I got ripped off when I lived in Carnarvon, and had to claim the money back when I moved house and realised it was too high. As I was new to Australia I just assumed this was the going rate.

Im paying around $90 for Wandina, and have 4 kids
(including a son nearly 18yr old who likes to shower for half and hour)

Gems
Old May 7th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

We just had out first Water bill in our new property

$31 - usage
24Kl - no pool
This is bathing / showering with 2 kids.
Also cleaning the cars and Irrigating the garden, we have no rainwater tanks here

Stu

Last edited by Stu Ward; May 7th 2010 at 11:15 pm.
Old May 8th 2010, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

$220 - $250 a quarter here for water and sewage - just the two of us with occasional visitors use tank water for watering the garden and drinking. ACT is very expensive water-wise!!!
Old May 8th 2010, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
$220 - $250 a quarter here for water and sewage - just the two of us with occasional visitors use tank water for watering the garden and drinking. ACT is very expensive water-wise!!!
But how much of that is rates (which if you're renting is paid by the landlord)?

Our rates are $150 a quarter then we get around $20 to $30 on top of that which is actual water usage. This amazed me when I first got here as absolutely no financial incentive for using less water
Old May 8th 2010, 5:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
Our total is $317 for the last quarter, the breakdown being:
$ 97 Water usage
$ 58 Access
$162 Sewerage
$317 Total Redland Council, QLD Rates

A tenant would only pay the $97 part of that.

ACT should be
$89.55 per annum supply charge
$1.95 per kL for the first 548 litres supplied on average per day of the billing period plus,
$3.90 per kL for all water supplied in excess of 548 litres on average per day of the billing period.
Using ACT rates my bill would have been:
$128.26 Usage
$ 17.91 Access
$121.10 sewerage
$267.27 total ACT rates

NSW would be
$106.59 Usage
$ 25.38 Access
$125.27 Sewerage
$257.24 total NSW Rates

Although our actual water usage charge in Redlands is cheaper, we get hammered on the sewerage and access charges.