British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cheap Water Bill (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cheap-water-bill-666951/)

Howard Jenings May 5th 2010 10:29 am

Cheap Water Bill

Just had our water bill today $42.00 for 3 and a half months, for a family of 5 who run 2 showers, baths, dishwasher and washing machine- it seems a bit cheap to me! I have checked the meter and it goes round when we run the tap. We have only used 120 units since we moved in!!

ABCDiamond May 5th 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cheap Water Bill

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings (Post 8543787)
Just had our water bill today $42.00 for 3 and a half months, for a family of 5 who run 2 showers, baths, dishwasher and washing machine- it seems a bit cheap to me! I have checked the meter and it goes round when we run the tap. We have only used 120 units since we moved in!!

Is that just for the actual consumption ?
Ours was $97 last quarter, 3 bathrooms, a teenager who thinks water comes out of the sky, garden to keep green and a pool to keep full, although we still stayed under the water advised limit.

57 kl at $1.70 per kilolitre in 3 months.

Loch Lomond May 5th 2010 3:19 pm

I still am surprised at how cheap water bills are here despite the ongoing threat of drought and lack of water.
However, my 6 monthly charge for water averages $50, F**k all. We are 65%below the average for the suburb we live and we don't know why. My bore pump failed a few weeks ago, so I have now repaired that and brought it back on line, but as it is winter I won't use it. I'll use mains/shire water for my vegy garden as it will be cheaper than running my pump.

Howard Jenings May 5th 2010 3:39 pm

I don't know why it is so low, we moved rental property at the end of Jan this Year, but where we were before we paid about $175 a quarter, so this one seems really low!!

spottydog May 7th 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings (Post 8544478)
I don't know why it is so low, we moved rental property at the end of Jan this Year, but where we were before we paid about $175 a quarter, so this one seems really low!!

$175 a quarter for water usage sounds very high. This sounds more like you were charged the rates as well as the actual water usage, unless you had a very large leak...

Gems May 7th 2010 11:54 am

Your previous bill was pretty high. I got ripped off when I lived in Carnarvon, and had to claim the money back when I moved house and realised it was too high. As I was new to Australia I just assumed this was the going rate.

Im paying around $90 for Wandina, and have 4 kids
(including a son nearly 18yr old who likes to shower for half and hour:eek:)

Gems

Stu Ward May 7th 2010 10:10 pm

We just had out first Water bill in our new property

$31 - usage
24Kl - no pool
This is bathing / showering with 2 kids.
Also cleaning the cars and Irrigating the garden, we have no rainwater tanks here

Stu

quoll May 7th 2010 11:40 pm

$220 - $250 a quarter here for water and sewage - just the two of us with occasional visitors use tank water for watering the garden and drinking. ACT is very expensive water-wise!!!

spottydog May 8th 2010 12:56 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 8550618)
$220 - $250 a quarter here for water and sewage - just the two of us with occasional visitors use tank water for watering the garden and drinking. ACT is very expensive water-wise!!!

But how much of that is rates (which if you're renting is paid by the landlord)?

Our rates are $150 a quarter then we get around $20 to $30 on top of that which is actual water usage. This amazed me when I first got here as absolutely no financial incentive for using less water

ABCDiamond May 8th 2010 4:56 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 8550618)

Our total is $317 for the last quarter, the breakdown being:
$ 97 Water usage
$ 58 Access
$162 Sewerage
$317 Total Redland Council, QLD Rates

A tenant would only pay the $97 part of that.

ACT should be
$89.55 per annum supply charge
$1.95 per kL for the first 548 litres supplied on average per day of the billing period plus,
$3.90 per kL for all water supplied in excess of 548 litres on average per day of the billing period.
Using ACT rates my bill would have been:
$128.26 Usage
$ 17.91 Access
$121.10 sewerage
$267.27 total ACT rates

NSW would be
$106.59 Usage
$ 25.38 Access
$125.27 Sewerage
$257.24 total NSW Rates

Although our actual water usage charge in Redlands is cheaper, we get hammered on the sewerage and access charges.