Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap Seats And House Sale

Cheap Seats And House Sale

Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:52 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap Seats And House Sale

Oh bugga!

We have the option to buy open-ended return business class tickets with Emirates at £1,380 each for our ultimate emmigration trip. Problem is that we need to fly in June '06 and we will not have our house on the market until Feb '06. Apparently, it takes 3 months alone to get through the legal.

The obvious risk is not selling in time to be able to fly in June and losing our seats and subsequently money.

Any advice?

Cheers.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:07 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cheap Seats And House Sale

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Oh bugga!

We have the option to buy open-ended return business class tickets with Emirates at £1,380 each for our ultimate emmigration trip. Problem is that we need to fly in June '06 and we will not have our house on the market until Feb '06. Apparently, it takes 3 months alone to get through the legal.

The obvious risk is not selling in time to be able to fly in June and losing our seats and subsequently money.

Any advice?

Cheers.
do you have a buyer for the house? if not you would certainly be taking a risk.

Good luck with the sale
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:08 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bugga!

Any advice?

Cheers.
Doesn't take 3 mths to get through legal! We didn't take us 3 mths when we bought ours! My friend who is also my solicitor says that if we get a 1st time buyer with mortgage promise to buy our house, as we are not in a chain that she could almost guarantee completion in less than 45 days.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:12 pm
J and M

Oh bugga!

Any advice?

Cheers.

Brilliant price, where are you flying from, and where can I get a price for one way business class? Did you get the quote from an internet site, and which airport are you flying into? Hope you can get the house sold quickly and take advantage of such good flights.

Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Doesn't take 3 mths to get through legal! We didn't take us 3 mths when we bought ours! My friend who is also my solicitor says that if we get a 1st time buyer with mortgage promise to buy our house, as we are not in a chain that she could almost guarantee completion in less than 45 days.

Yeah we tied up this house purchase in 6 weeks, and cos there's no chain now we're selling the solicitor is talking similar timescales.

A BIG heafty chain and it could take forever! ...
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Oh bugga!

Any advice?

Cheers.
It is such as risk if you need to sell before going, we put ours on the market early November and sold within a week or so and we are still waiting for surveyors to come out!!! there are so many unexpected things that can happen. Our buyers had previously put offer in on another house and had the survey then the house then fell through, they had insurance on the survey so won't instruct the survey on ours until they get money back. I think theres so much to consider when selling a house, things that can go wrong/drag on, they don't call it the one of the most stressful times for nothing! I wouldn't even consider booking flights at my stage let alone yours. Do you have a buyer for when it goes on the market? If not it may take 6 months to sell, you just don't know.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The S's
It is such as risk if you need to sell before going, we put ours on the market early November and sold within a week or so and we are still waiting for surveyors to come out!!! there are so many unexpected things that can happen. Our buyers had previously put offer in on another house and had the survey then the house then fell through, they had insurance on the survey so won't instruct the survey on ours until they get money back. I think theres so much to consider when selling a house, things that can go wrong/drag on, they don't call it the one of the most stressful times for nothing! I wouldn't even consider booking flights at my stage let alone yours. Do you have a buyer for when it goes on the market? If not it may take 6 months to sell, you just don't know.
i agree

when we get to that stage we will not book flights until we have exchanged and anything can go wrong before that.

i once had to pull out of a house purchase on the day of exchange in the solicitors office as i found out i was to be made redundant while i was there waiting to sign

don’t do it its not worth it
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Oh bugga!

Any advice?

Cheers.
WOW at those prices I would not worry about selling the house, if you need to just make the trip, have a holiday , come back. I paid twice that for business tickets last time I went out to Australia!!

Where are you buying your tickets from?????

Regards
Abby
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:55 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bugga!

Any advice?

Cheers.
Check with emirates. The travel date is probably changeable for a fee of £200 or something. Which in a worst case scenario you could always do.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a chain of three after 12 months on the market and one and two is a private sale between each other and me at the end! This has been going on now since the end of October and we still have not exchanged contracts. Promised for this week, hope so as we are flying out Fri 20th
We all thought it would be straightforward and I had to persuade them that we could not complete before Xmas!
Fingers crossed in a big way here.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:43 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J and M
Brilliant price, where are you flying from, and where can I get a price for one way business class? Did you get the quote from an internet site, and which airport are you flying into? Hope you can get the house sold quickly and take advantage of such good flights.
Hi.

Take a peek at http://www.airline-network.co.uk/

It's currently in the special offers section. Flying into Sydney because we want to fly on the new A340-500 which looks amazing. Also has 500 entertainment channels including video-on-demand. The Brisbane route uses the older 777's and for the same money we'd rather fly on the A340 and then hop to Brisbane on Virgin Blue.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:44 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by DerekM
I am in a chain of three after 12 months on the market and one and two is a private sale between each other and me at the end! This has been going on now since the end of October and we still have not exchanged contracts. Promised for this week, hope so as we are flying out Fri 20th
We all thought it would be straightforward and I had to persuade them that we could not complete before Xmas!
Fingers crossed in a big way here.
Thanks to all for the advice you have given us.

I think the safest option is to wait until we are close to exchanging or exchanging before committing to flights. The standard single rate is £1,697 so less than the price of losing the seats altogether so it makes sense to wait.

The main attraction was that it was an open-ended return but at the end of the day we may not have used them anyway?