Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap Oz online bookstores?

Cheap Oz online bookstores?

Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap Oz online bookstores?

Are there any? Amazon equivalent?

Thanks very much in advance.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:22 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cheap Oz online bookstores?

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Are there any? Amazon equivalent?

Thanks very much in advance.
Been checking these out as Amazon's shipping prices are too extreme for us.

Dh has just bought me two Danielle Steel books from Dymocks, http://www.dymocks.com.au/, and we got good prices for the two. They are the on-line division of what I think is a retail store in NSW.

Also check out http://www.booktopia.com.au/?ezppc=g...=bookshopstore and http://www.less10.com/ - both seem to have good stocks, and prices seem reasonable. I don't think books are a cheap item to buy in Oz, but for the two DS books, Dymocks came back with the best price, despite charging carriage, which less10.com had free, iirc.

I think these three will sort us out between them.

HTH.

Sue
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

After a complete debacle with Dymocks providing the new Harry Potter "on publication day2 three weeks late I asked some book-mad Aussies at work where they get their stuff from. An overwhelming vote for Amazon surprised me - my boss said the postage was worth it for books that shops here consistently denied the very existence of!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 2:06 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
After a complete debacle with Dymocks providing the new Harry Potter "on publication day2 three weeks late I asked some book-mad Aussies at work where they get their stuff from. An overwhelming vote for Amazon surprised me - my boss said the postage was worth it for books that shops here consistently denied the very existence of!
You piqued my curiosity with this, Pollyanna. I've just checked the Amazon site and done comparisons and Amazon would have been slightly cheaper for the two DS books. We would have paid the equivalent of £31.25 with Amazon, including delivery charges. Dh says add import duty of 10%. We actually paid AU$ 85.90, so even with import duty included, it would still have been slightly cheaper to buy these from Amazon. I guess it varies from book to book, but worth calculating on future purchases. Thanks.

Sue
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:52 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

www.qbd.com.au have some good offers and sometimes free postage on certain books we have used them a few times and r very quick with the shipping
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
You piqued my curiosity with this, Pollyanna. I've just checked the Amazon site and done comparisons and Amazon would have been slightly cheaper for the two DS books. We would have paid the equivalent of £31.25 with Amazon, including delivery charges. Dh says add import duty of 10%. We actually paid AU$ 85.90, so even with import duty included, it would still have been slightly cheaper to buy these from Amazon. I guess it varies from book to book, but worth calculating on future purchases. Thanks.

Sue
But in reality AQIS are not going to go to the hassle of charging duty on a imported book for non-commerical use. I've has stuff from Amazon sent here and never have duty added. It would probably cost AQIS more to administer charging duty than to let it through.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I remember someone saying it was cheaper to use American Amazon as their books are cheaper and the shipping costs the same.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 11:01 pm
India-M'chester-Syd('05)

base_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

Sue
As you said, not everything is cheap on Amazon. Last time, I was looking for a book, I found booktopia.com.au cheaper than amazon.com. However, the problem is the delivery time......having said that amazon.com's international delivery is never any quicker!!

I have seen most of the time, I get better value with the local online bookstores.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wongstonn
But in reality AQIS are not going to go to the hassle of charging duty on a imported book for non-commerical use. I've has stuff from Amazon sent here and never have duty added. It would probably cost AQIS more to administer charging duty than to let it through.
I've not - and nor have my friends - ever been charged duty on Amazon books. Delivery time is usually 3-4 days, which is just about as fast as its possible to get across the world.
Not necessarily always cheaper, but certainly always worth looking at.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, I'll start looking now.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Also try www.abe.com

It's used by booksellers and buyers all over the world.