Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cheap labour flooding the labour market?

cheap labour flooding the labour market?

Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough
Angry cheap labour flooding the labour market?

is there any truth in what i have been told, because of the shortage of skilled migrants in curtain trades, eg mine, boilermaker/welder, they are allowing companies to bring in chinese workers to fill jobs without the need for a PR visa,,,is this not going to stuff up the labour market for us who have paids ££££££££ to get in?

mick
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:29 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cheap labour flooding the labour market?

Originally Posted by fastrhino
is there any truth in what i have been told, because of the shortage of skilled migrants in curtain trades, eg mine, boilermaker/welder, they are allowing companies to bring in chinese workers to fill jobs without the need for a PR visa,,,is this not going to stuff up the labour market for us who have paids ££££££££ to get in?

mick
I think there are a few , but still big $$$$ to be had up in the mines for many trades , just don't expect to get up there straight off if may take a few months .
Get a job in perth 1st . , you'll be fine .
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

mick
Not all skilled migrants come on PR visas anyway.

Do you have a source for this rumour?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

It was a PM from a forum member, maybe one of the othr forums i go on poms in perth or poms in oz, they said that jobs still plentifull but chinese welders being brought in to perth fab shops and it is going to affect jobs and rates of pay.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

It was a PM from a forum member, maybe one of the othr forums i go on poms in perth or poms in oz, they said that jobs still plentifull but chinese welders being brought in to perth fab shops and it is going to affect jobs and rates of pay.
Hello Mick

It's allready started cheap labours been coming in (about 2 years) from Africa , China and all the rest.

Keel
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

this was were i got the rumour from, it was a reply to a post on the welder forum i go on.

"You got it right about Kalgoorlie, but theres good money there.
If your going to Rockingham, you`ll most likely end up working in Kwinanna heaps of fab shops there, in 99% of places the shielding gas is co2. There is still plenty of work here but its changing fast now with all the chinese welders coming in."

i think that was a response to a thread i started about flux cored welding.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keel
Hello Mick

It's allready started cheap labours been coming in (about 2 years) from Africa , China and all the rest.

Keel
sent you an e-mail mate
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

sent you an e-mail mate
Aye Mick just got the one from earlier. Am I getting another one?

Keel
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keel
Aye Mick just got the one from earlier. Am I getting another one?

Keel
no that is the one a meant

cheers
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

mick

See, that would never happen in the UK, floods of cheap labour from say, Eastern Europe.............
Old Dec 27th 2006, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

the big difference is I have had to undergo a rigerous procedure to get a visa at a cost of thousands including agents fees, I have nothing against immigrants going anywhere for work and a better life, but not at the expense of the local labour force.

In the uk now, the east europeans are now taking over the construction jobs and are fast taking over the engineering jobs,,,employers are willing to sell the british workers down the river to pay these migrants less money, often only slightly above the minimum wage for jobs and tades they would of been paying excellent rates for.

our government is standing by while business makes ££££££ by profiting on this cheap labour, while the likes of me and others on this forum up sticks and go half way round the world to secure a better chance of a decent life.

i just hope the australian government don't stand idle and allow the same to happen over there

mick
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

i just hope the australian government don't stand idle and allow the same to happen over there
It is the Australian government which is encouraging it.

They have encouraged the use of temporary visas to bring in more workers and are also making big efforts to bring in more migrants from India and other Asian countries on all types of visas.

Why does this surprise you?

Most migrants to Australia are from countries other than the UK and they have to meet the same conditions as you.

Many Australians will claim that immigrants from the UK are also bringing down wages and taking local jobs.....just ask the Australian trade unions.

G
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of quick points - we are going in to 'flood the labour market' too, we are immigrants as much as any Chinese person. We too will accept below-par wages in exchange for the 'lifestyle' that we are all dreaming of.

There is lots of immigration into the UK as well, as pointed out by other posters.

It is cheap labour that facilitates the low prices we demand. You can't have it both ways - high wages for everyone means high prices for everyone too. It is not realistic to demand that we get high wages but also low prices.

Why should other people not have the right to offer their skills at a lower price?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
A couple of quick points - we are going in to 'flood the labour market' too, we are immigrants as much as any Chinese person. We too will accept below-par wages in exchange for the 'lifestyle' that we are all dreaming of.

There is lots of immigration into the UK as well, as pointed out by other posters.

It is cheap labour that facilitates the low prices we demand. You can't have it both ways - high wages for everyone means high prices for everyone too. It is not realistic to demand that we get high wages but also low prices.

Why should other people not have the right to offer their skills at a lower price?
I couldn't have put it better myself.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

looks like i have stired up an hornets nest,,,,no offence meant,,,i just hope there are some good jobs left i 4 months when i get there

mick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.