Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap Hong Kong Shopping?

Cheap Hong Kong Shopping?

Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Default Cheap Hong Kong Shopping?

CAn anyone please tell me how much cheaper are electrical items in Hong Kong. We're stopping over there in Novemeber and I want a new camera, everyone I speak to says to get one there.

Is it really that much cheaper
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:58 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap Hong Kong Shopping?

Originally Posted by pako
CAn anyone please tell me how much cheaper are electrical items in Hong Kong. We're stopping over there in Novemeber and I want a new camera, everyone I speak to says to get one there.

Such goods are much cheaper but you need to barter!
Take care, I bought a mobile phone PDA type (Sony Ericsson P800). Chinese is the language of the manual and the default langauge of the phone so I get some problems now and again.
Guarantees seem to be global.

Andrew
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

annajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura about

Hi There

I was in Hong Kong last October and from what I have been told and observed first hand, the days of picking up electrical bargains in HK are finished. I found many of the prices on a par with UK. If I were you I'd buy duty free before leaving the UK, or even better, buy duty free in Australia. At least that way you have recourse if something goes wrong with the products.

Cheers,
Anna
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

If you are after the latest models of digital cameras, then HK will be cheaper than the UK or Australia. But if you can wait a few months prices usually come down to be about the same in most places.

The two more reputable chains for electronics in HK are Fortress and Broadway. You'll see them in most shopping areas, and very often one very close to the other. There are also a few camera shops on Victoria Street and Stanley Street in Central that are worth checking out. I think the prices in HK are at least 10% less than in the UK because there is no import tax. You can haggle a bit as well. At the big chains you can usually get 5-10% off the price, but not always.

Just be aware that when you come into Australia, you may need to declare newly bought merchandise and depending on total value, you may have to pay tax on them on arrival.

Mobile phones though I find are almost always cheaper in HK unless you're signing up for a plan.

A bit of advice to everyone stopping in HK - it's well worth buying memory cards, memory sticks, DV tapes, film for cameras, and all sorts of batteries there. They are the cheapest in the world even for all the major brand names.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice JTL

We have bought goods in HK and Singapore and all have been ok, except for a camcorder a few yrs ago when we were told the guarantee was global but the UK shop/company refused to repair it under the said guarantee!
We bought our last digital camera at Duty free at GATWICK and it was much cheaper than in the high street and we even bargained with them so they threw in extra memory cards.
It depends if you want to gamble cheap er prices over import tax to oz and trouble with guarantees. If you lived in HK it would be different.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

DSC_AU will become famous soon enoughDSC_AU will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
If you are after the latest models of digital cameras, then HK will be cheaper than the UK or Australia. But if you can wait a few months prices usually come down to be about the same in most places.

The two more reputable chains for electronics in HK are Fortress and Broadway. You'll see them in most shopping areas, and very often one very close to the other. There are also a few camera shops on Victoria Street and Stanley Street in Central that are worth checking out. I think the prices in HK are at least 10% less than in the UK because there is no import tax. You can haggle a bit as well. At the big chains you can usually get 5-10% off the price, but not always.

Just be aware that when you come into Australia, you may need to declare newly bought merchandise and depending on total value, you may have to pay tax on them on arrival.

Mobile phones though I find are almost always cheaper in HK unless you're signing up for a plan.

A bit of advice to everyone stopping in HK - it's well worth buying memory cards, memory sticks, DV tapes, film for cameras, and all sorts of batteries there. They are the cheapest in the world even for all the major brand names.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Ive never been to hong kong my self...
http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=sho
Hope this can help.. Shopping malls in hongkong is categorized
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:36 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

So how do prices in Singapore compare to Hong Kong?
Electrical goods like the Sony PSP
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Maybe I should buy my camera at Heathrow (I want a digital SLR), then i can fiddle with it on the plane to help pass the time.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:50 am
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Cheap Hong Kong Shopping?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

I bought a digital camera in HK last year, comparing the price over here when we got back, seemed to be about 100 quid cheaper over there at the time.

I thought 'Broadway' were gone, not too sure though.

Latest models too, I reckon.

Absolutely right!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
CHeers and happy shopping
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

DSC_AU will become famous soon enoughDSC_AU will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pompeywill
So how do prices in Singapore compare to Hong Kong?
Electrical goods like the Sony PSP
I think Its more cheaper in singapore, THe sony psp is around from 150 - 200 USD while in hong kong it sold in 270 USD