British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cheap flights via Expedia Brazil (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cheap-flights-via-expedia-brazil-799575/)

rockpeblar Jun 9th 2013 3:09 pm

Cheap flights via Expedia Brazil

Not sure if this has been posted here before but if you are looking for cheap flights check out the fares on www.expedia.com.br Why are they so cheap, well the Brazilian government doesn't allow airlines to charge people the fuel surcharge. If you look at return flights from London to Perth during October it works out at £515 which is a lot cheaper than any other travel agent. There are various reports on whirlpool forums and ozbargain.com.au from people that have booked flights via Expedia Brazil and travelled on these tickets with no problems.

Amazulu Jun 10th 2013 1:18 am

Re: Cheap flights via Expedia Brazil

Originally Posted by rockpeblar (Post 10748364)
Not sure if this has been posted here before but if you are looking for cheap flights check out the fares on www.expedia.com.br Why are they so cheap, well the Brazilian government doesn't allow airlines to charge people the fuel surcharge. If you look at return flights from London to Perth during October it works out at £515 which is a lot cheaper than any other travel agent. There are various reports on whirlpool forums and ozbargain.com.au from people that have booked flights via Expedia Brazil and travelled on these tickets with no problems.

I saw that on ozbargain. It even works for domestic flights apparently

renth Jun 10th 2013 1:55 am

Wow, Perth London BA/QANTAS $1582.00 in September.

Sounds too good to be true let's see how long this loophole stays open for.

commonwealth Jun 10th 2013 3:02 am

is this honoured by the airlines?

Amazulu Jun 10th 2013 3:33 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10749032)
is this honoured by the airlines?

why wouldn't it be?

Expedia is a huge online travel agent

rockpeblar Jun 10th 2013 4:22 am

According to Ozbargain and Whirlpool users, there are at least 10 people who claim they've already booked through Expedia Brazil and travelled on these flights without a hitch. Not tried it myself but we have visitors coming over in October that are looking into it. Nearly 40% saving.

commonwealth Jun 10th 2013 5:21 am

Hmmm I wonder if theres huge savings for business class?

spouse of scouse Jun 10th 2013 5:39 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10749138)
Hmmm I wonder if theres huge savings for business class?

I had a quick look last night, the Perth - Manchester - Perth business class flights were actually a few hundred dollars more on the Brazil site, but I'm going to have a closer look today. I was a bit worried because Perth comes up as Perth, Washington, Australia!

Dorothy Jun 10th 2013 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10749153)
I had a quick look last night, the Perth - Manchester - Perth business class flights were actually a few hundred dollars more on the Brazil site, but I'm going to have a closer look today. I was a bit worried because Perth comes up as Perth, Washington, Australia!

Looked yesterday, too. I think it comes up as Perth Washington is that WA is the abbreviation for Washington state as well.

Anyway it was actually more expensive for the flights I was looking at than on the airline's site for the trip I looked at. I'll maybe try again tonight when I have some time to play around with dates.

rockpeblar Jun 11th 2013 4:12 am

Price savings depend on how much the fuel surcharge is as a percentage of the overall fare. Apparently Qantas have a large fuel surcharge compared to some other airlines

commonwealth Jun 11th 2013 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10749053)
why wouldn't it be?

Expedia is a huge online travel agent

small print?

spouse of scouse Jun 11th 2013 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10751458)
small print?

The entire Expedia network must be linked - after I'd searched flights on the Brazil site, I shut that down and opened Expedia au - the departure/destination airports, and my dates, were already pre-filled.

Rockpeblar, even if one person can get a cheaper flight the link is well worth it, thanks for posting it :starsmile:

roaringmouse Jun 11th 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10751479)
The entire Expedia network must be linked - after I'd searched flights on the Brazil site, I shut that down and opened Expedia au - the departure/destination airports, and my dates, were already pre-filled.

I believe expedia.com places a cookie or two on your browser as well as the local expedia when you visit one of their sites.

rockpeblar Jun 11th 2013 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10751479)

Rockpeblar, even if one person can get a cheaper flight the link is well worth it, thanks for posting it :starsmile:

Appreciate the thanks, it's expensive enough flying to and from Oz so anything to help reduce the cost should help

OzTennis Jun 11th 2013 3:51 pm

Had a quick look but it's difficult to tell - the site is in (Brazilian) Portugese (is there a button to click for English?) and the prices are in Brazilian Reals (R$) not AUD's.

I was trying to find Glasgow-Melbourne returns in business class to compare with recent searches I've done in the UK and I know the best prices for Emirates November departures (currently £3,300 return).

Current exchange rate is about 2 Real's per dollar, the economy fares which came up didn't look particularly cheap for GLA-MEL.

Will have a more detailed look when I get a chance. It would be interesting to compare with UK and Australian prices.