British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cheap flights to England (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cheap-flights-england-316276/)

ozzieeagle Jul 27th 2005 3:12 am

Cheap flights to England

Just thought I'd share some information with you all, About the return of the Chartered flight between the UK, and here.

Almost half price, at the small cost of having to fit into the airlines schedule, Personally I reckon it's worth backing big time, because obviously the more demand for this service the cheaper it will be for us all in the long run.

here's the URL

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...indetails=7195

Obviously a forum like this, with a vested interest in flying between aussie and England has some clout. It would be great if someone that has inside knowledge of airlines etc could co-ordinate through this BBS, and perhaps help to arrange more flights.

Heres hoping this thread really takes off (pun intended) ;)

Wouldn't it be great to be able to afford to go to the UK or Aus more often ?

renth Jul 27th 2005 3:28 am

Re: Cheap flights to England

Onya Ozzieeagle - that's cheap. There must be a catch?

Do you think it's the *from bit?

PeteY Jul 27th 2005 3:32 am

Originally Posted by renth

Certainly is cheap.

Being a charter flight you would need to pay for drinks/headphones etc, but thats not really a biggie.

You have 2 stopovers too... and no personal screen at your seat.

Still....they are half the price of normal flights so i would probably be tempted.

ABCDiamond Jul 27th 2005 3:37 am

I flew with them in 1996 "Britannia Airways", when they still did the charter flights. The price has gone up a bit though !!

One thing I do remember, is thinking that they used the same planes as they did on the UK to Spain run :) At least that's what it felt like :)

ozzieeagle Jul 27th 2005 3:38 am

Originally Posted by renth

Yeah tis a bit of shame that it doesn't involve Perth at this stage, (maybe some of you Perthites have some flybuys up your sleeve ?). It's the first time I've noticed Chartered flights between Aus and England. Has anyone seen any before ?

Personally, It wouldn't be much discomfort to go to Sydney to get this flight, I'm hoping that the more publcity for them, helps to create more demand resulting in more flights.

So spread the word everyone thanks ;)

steve99 Jul 27th 2005 3:42 am

Its still more expensive than a regular flight from the UK would be.
I have a number of friends coming over at the start of December, they've paid 540gbp inc taxes rtn, flying with Malaysian. At a rate of 2.25 thats about $1215
These chartered ones want $1199 plus about $300 taxes to fly in a 30inch seat (I think Malaysian is at least 32 ) you have to stop twice to refuel in each direction, dont get any personal tv/games system etc on your seat and land at gatwick at 1am. :confused:
Whilst it cheaper than what we currently have to book in OZ, it really is taking cattle class to the extreme.
We should still be entitled to book the same flights at the same costs as they are available to everyone in the UK.

gedge Jul 27th 2005 3:42 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yeah tis a bit of shame that it doesn't involve Perth at this stage, (maybe some of you Perthites have some flybuys up your sleeve ?). It's the first time I've noticed Chartered flights between Aus and England. Has anyone seen any before ?

Personally, It wouldn't be much discomfort to go to Sydney to get this flight, I'm hoping that the more publcity for them, helps to create more demand resulting in more flights.

So spread the word everyone thanks ;)

err, but it does involve Perth?

Travel is from Perth or Sydney to London Gatwick on selected dates between November 2005 - February 2006.

ozzieeagle Jul 27th 2005 3:43 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I flew with them in 1996 "Britannia Airways", when they still did the charter flights. The price has gone up a bit though !!

One thing I do remember, is thinking that they used the same planes as they did on the UK to Spain run :) At least that's what it felt like :)

Ahh I see, one point though ABC, '96 was before most people had the net, and a forum like this could really help create focused demand.

I've seen what demand can do on the other board I frequent with my football team, In fact supporters on there have chartered 3 flights over the last two seasons, twice from London to Sunderland, and once to liverpool, for midweek games.

So heres hoping people on here can repeat that outcome.

ozzieeagle Jul 27th 2005 3:45 am

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
err, but it does involve Perth?

Apologies I missed that,

Hmm I wonder what Renth meant then, by the "from" bit.

gedge Jul 27th 2005 3:46 am

Apologies I missed that,

Hmm I wonder what Renth meant then, by the "from" bit.

I reckon as it says "prices start from" or someting to that effect.
If you went ahead and applied, would they then say "oh that deal isn't available but we can give it to you for $$$"

ozzieeagle Jul 27th 2005 3:51 am

Originally Posted by steve99
Its still more expensive than a regular flight from the UK would be.
I have a number of friends coming over at the start of December, they've paid 540gbp inc taxes rtn, flying with Malaysian. At a rate of 2.25 thats about $1215
These chartered ones want $1199 plus about $300 taxes to fly in a 30inch seat (I think Malaysian is at least 32 ) you have to stop twice to refuel in each direction, dont get any personal tv/games system etc on your seat and land at gatwick at 1am. :confused:
Whilst it cheaper than what we currently have to book in OZ, it really is taking cattle class to the extreme.
We should still be entitled to book the same flights at the same costs as they are available to everyone in the UK.

I wonder if it is possible to book, that from here, in Aus, and if not why not ?,
surely the traffic is equal both ways.

The main point being, that the average flight booked in Aussie, does seem pretty expensive ! I saw that Chartered flight, as a chink in the airlines armour.

Geordie George Jul 27th 2005 3:54 am

Although there's a refuelling stop, there are no stopovers included in this price. I certainly couldn't stand the thought of 24 hours on a plane, with the only break being in an airport ... :scared:

ozzieeagle Jul 27th 2005 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Although there's a refuelling stop, there are no stopovers included in this price. I certainly couldn't stand the thought of 24 hours on a plane, with the only break being in an airport ... :scared:

Personally I hate stopovers, prolongs the agony, and makes the flight more expensive. x 4 people in my case. Takes all types eh ;)

I beleive that the new jumbo coming into service next year, (the 800 seat one) is capable of flying from London / Aus non stop in about 18 hours, Now that I would really like.

steve99 Jul 27th 2005 4:12 am

I wonder if it is possible to book, that from here, in Aus, and if not why not ?,
surely the traffic is equal both ways.

Nope isnt not, If you want to start the journey from Perth rather than London your looking at around $2000 :scared:
I even tried checking it from a UK based website but having the first leg as Perth to London, it was over 800gbp...

The main point being, that the average flight booked in Aussie, does seem pretty expensive ! I saw that Chartered flight, as a chink in the airlines armour.

I agree, hopefully if enough people are prepared to use the Charter option it will have some effect on the Scheduled Routes and the prices will become more realistic.

I guess an option is to go one way on the charter option and then book a return from the UK and try and get an open ticket that you can change the return leg back to the UK, and use it for a future trip.

Given the cost of the flight and everything once your back in the UK, its probably a once every 5 years thing for us to be able to justify doing.
Id much rather contribute a few hundred bucks towards someone elses flight and put them up for a week or two out here.
They'll have a much better time in Perth than I will back in the UK, so everyones a winner ;)
Steve :)

Geordie George Jul 27th 2005 4:18 am

Does anyone know if any prices have been banded about for the new plane? Just out of curiosity ...

Personally I hate stopovers, prolongs the agony, and makes the flight more expensive. x 4 people in my case. Takes all types eh ;)

I beleive that the new jumbo coming into service next year, (the 800 seat one) is capable of flying from London / Aus non stop in about 18 hours, Now that I would really like.