Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which cheap car would you buy?

Which cheap car would you buy?

Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice
Default Re: Which cheap car would you buy?

Originally Posted by Wendy
When I had this choice a few years back I went for a Holden Barina. I only wanted something small and economical - mostly to learn to drive in. I ended up getting a 1992 model, with only 90k on the clock, pretty good bodywork and brand new tyres for $4k.

I still have it now, although it needs an oil change and some rego I am looking at selling it, as I now have a Ford Laser - another 'older' car, but very reliable. Cost me more than $5k though
That model Barina was a rebadged Suzuki swift and are reliable. The model after that was the European Corsa but more recent ones are built in Korea by GM Deawoo and are totaly crap.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
That model Barina was a rebadged Suzuki swift and are reliable. The model after that was the European Corsa but more recent ones are built in Korea by GM Deawoo and are totaly crap.
Hmmm, thanks Don.

How's the 'european corsa' barina? There seems to be a few around for sale..

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Hmmm, thanks Don.

Cheers
B!K3R
If you want to look at owner reviews have a look at www.carsurvey.org
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was just about to say that about my old Barina being a Susuki Swift in disguise

Same as my Ford Laser, which is actually a Mazda Astini
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Auch! All over 150k...

OK, its clear..I'll have to raise the bar to get a decent box!

For double the price, it seems there are a few decent ones. Guess I'll wait....

Cheers
B!K3R
150k is not that much in Australia. 93750 miles.

Last edited by Steve2009; Oct 11th 2010 at 11:00 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

1995-2000 honda civic - ultra reliable

1995 - 1999 nissan pulsar - n15 shape - don't go newer as renault bought a stake and quality dropped drastically.

1994 - onwards mazda 323 - any body shape

any year toyota corolla - boring styling but again , very reliable.

Basically , out here , stick to japanese and you shouldn't go wrong.

I personally wouldn't buy anything smaller for the age as safety standards aren't as good and australians can't drive.

service history is far more important than mileage with older cars.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:36 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyalan

Service history is far more important than mileage with older cars.
Better a perfectly-serviced 150,000km car than a 50,000km car without a consistent service history. Toyotas are megareliable if properly serviced.

Wouldn't buy a European car under any circumstances: unreliable and expensive everything. Might lease one.

Look at the reviews on nrma.com.au and drive.com.au .
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:20 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Getz
Ford Focus
Buyer Beware always, but particularly with older Fords and Holdens - they can become a money pit. E.g. Ford Focus from early 2000s that you might be lucky to pick up for 5k - a busted transmission (not uncommon) could cost up to another 5k. They also need replacement brake pads and tyres more frequently than you would expect.

For the amount of money you're talking about I'd agree with the person who suggested Japanese - older Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans would be my preference. You might also want to consider an NRMA inspection. Some dealers may say they've already arranged an inspection - but a sticker alone does not guarantee this.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Originally Posted by monkeyalan
1995-2000 honda civic - ultra reliable

1995 - 1999 nissan pulsar - n15 shape - don't go newer as renault bought a stake and quality dropped drastically.

1994 - onwards mazda 323 - any body shape

any year toyota corolla - boring styling but again , very reliable.

I personally wouldn't buy anything smaller for the age as safety standards aren't as good and australians can't drive.
Yes I agree, look how the older Corollas and Civics hold their value, there is a good reason for that. I find 1.8L is just about right for my corolla, but it's no ball of fire:-) It is a boring car but ultra reliable and cheap to run.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would go with the Ford Falcons or Fairmonts... reason being parts are so cheap for these cars, plus you can shop around for the cheapest reliable mechanic as all have experience working with them.

I know of a Ford Fairmont 2000 Olympic edition, with only 140k on the odo. 4,500Aud almost Mint condition. In fact I may be buying it Comes via and recommended by my Car Mechanic that I've known for over 23 years. Even my shabby current one would almost certainly take me around Aus a few times without a hitch. There is a reason why they are the vehicle of choice as Taxis in this country.

The only downside of the Ford Falcons/Fairmonts/Fairlanes, are they are dearer than most in running costs. But not by enough to put me off... and they are fantastic on a long trip.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 12th 2010 at 2:34 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Hmmm, thanks Don.

Cheers
B!K3R
I think these were not too bad in the UK where you could get the parts off the internet sites pretty cheap but being GM they will need more tlc than Japanese equivalent and parts from Europe are expensive.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Personally I would go with the Ford Falcons or Fairmonts... reason being parts are so cheap for these cars, plus you can shop around for the cheapest reliable mechanic as all have experience working with them.

I know of a Ford Fairmont 2000 Olympic edition, with only 140k on the odo. 4,500Aud almost Mint condition. In fact I may be buying it Comes via and recommended by my Car Mechanic that I've known for over 23 years. Even my shabby current one, would almost certainly take me around Aus a few times without a hitch.
The testiment to the Ford Falcon are the Taxis, those 4L inline 6s must be bullet proof.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The testiment to the Ford Falcon are the Taxis, those 4L inline 6s must be bullet proof.
Serviced regularly they are 1,000,000K Engines... not so sure about the rest of the vehicle lasting as well though. My current ones roof lining fell off, which is probably one of the most annoying things I've had happen with a car... besides all the trim coming loose... still mechanically its very very good. I just drive it without roof lining now... stuff buying new trim etc for it. Hence I'm in the market for another, and unfortunately will probably let my Datsun go to a collector.... VGC 200B 1978... Probably 1000 bucks (Maybe more it is in damn good nick... appearance wise at least very certain that it will go up in value ) off of the purchase price of the next Ford I buy.

Apparently you can get some Fords with trim problems... most dont suffer from this though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 12th 2010 at 2:46 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Serviced regularly they are 1,000,000K Engines... not so sure about the rest of the vehicle lasting as well though. My current ones roof lining fell off, which is probably one of the most annoying things I've had happen with a car... besides all the trim coming loose... still mechanically its very very good. I just drive it without roof lining now... stuff buying new trim etc for it. Hence I'm in the market for another, and unfortunately will probably let my Datsun go to a collector.... VGC 200B 1978... Probably 1000 bucks (Maybe more it is in damn good nick... appearance wise at least very certain that it will go up in value ) off of the purchase price of the next Ford I buy.

Apparently you can get some Fords with trim problems... most dont suffer from this though.
In carsguide a while back there was a bright orange, mid 90's Falcon for sale, ex-taxi and had 900,000 on the clock. Twas about 2 grand but I wonder if they sold it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Have Getz and love. It can move along fairly well and great on fuel. The run to the airport which is over 100 costs about $5. No problems with it.

As for the Ford Falcon - you couldnt pay me enough to take it off your hands. One of the ugliest pieces of junk ever churned out. If i was going for a bigger / more expensive car then Toyota landcruiser - not one built in the last 5 years as the newer ones are becoming crap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.