Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cheap calls UK to Oz

cheap calls UK to Oz

Old Jun 15th 2004, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default cheap calls UK to Oz

hi all,

just saw the opposite thread and thought people might want to save money ringing the other way. A good oneto use to ring someone the old fashioned way is www.telediscount.co.uk.

You check on that website for the access number for dialing Australia, (currently 0844 861 4141) then dial the australian number when prompted and the call is charged at only 1p/min.

no contract required, you are just billed as normal by you network provider just like any other local call.

I found it on here a while back but haven't seen it mentioned since. I use it all the time.

Andy
Old Jun 15th 2004, 6:31 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: cheap calls UK to Oz

Originally posted by andy thomas
hi all,

just saw the opposite thread and thought people might want to save money ringing the other way. A good oneto use to ring someone the old fashioned way is www.telediscount.co.uk.

You check on that website for the access number for dialing Australia, (currently 0844 861 4141) then dial the australian number when prompted and the call is charged at only 1p/min.

no contract required, you are just billed as normal by you network provider just like any other local call.

I found it on here a while back but haven't seen it mentioned since. I use it all the time.

Andy

This sounds like a similar thing http://www.topup2call.co.uk./ Again, I use it all the time from my mobile and its charged at 1p/min to a landline in OZ
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:22 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at www.skype.com

I've seen it mentioned here before, but haven't used this myself yet - AFAIK it gives you voice calls over the net.

If you're on a fixed charge internet deal then you're not paying any more for your calls, so the skype calls are free to anywhere in the world.

If you're on a dial up modem where all your calls are charged then obviously you're still going to pay for your skype calls.

Hope that helps

Marko
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:13 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

There's One.Tel too. Alas they charge 4p/minute. Ouch (comparatively). We've been using it happily enough for ages to call NZ (also 4p). Oh well, not worth changing over now.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
There's One.Tel too. Alas they charge 4p/minute. Ouch (comparatively). We've been using it happily enough for ages to call NZ (also 4p). Oh well, not worth changing over now.
One-Tel is brilliant - been using them for many years, right back to the days when they were Australian owned, before the collapse and the takeover by Centrica (British Gas etc). 4p per minute to Australia, Voicemail at £1.50 per month which you can access from any touchpad phone in the world or your mobile, haven't had one call terminated or not connected in all that time and I ring Oz daily. No prepayment, billed by direct debit, can manage and view your account online etc. I wouldn't change for quids too! There's just got to be a catch with 1p per minute? We've also changed from BT to One-Tel so all our calls go through the latter.

OzTennis
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mlbonner
This sounds like a similar thing http://www.topup2call.co.uk./ Again, I use it all the time from my mobile and its charged at 1p/min to a landline in OZ
Don't forget the small print..
Rates are quoted in pence per minute and calls will be rounded to the nearest penny and are charged per minute. A 5p call connection charge applies to each call from a landline and a 10p call connection charge when calling from a mobile. Rates shown are based on the 0845/0207 access numbers (which will be charged by your service providers at Lo-call and standard national call rates respectively). 0800 free-phone access is available at an additional 3p per minute to the quoted rates

So aswell as the 1p per minute cost to the provider, Do you also pay the normal BT (or whoever) local call rate, for the duration of the call ? I'm not sure what that is these days. The free Phone access rate becomes 4p pm + connection. Not sure about the mobile call portion though ? !

One Tel is a flat 4p with no extras.

Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Before I used Telediscount I thought there must be a catch at only 1p/min so first I checked out there website where it is all fully explained in plain English. After you have used the pre-fix number to ring Australia all you get is that number showing on your normal bill, be it BT or whoever, charged at 1p/min, no other charges at all, simple.

Why pay 4p when you can pay 1p, there are no contracts, you dont even change provider, just dail the number and your off.

Andy
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Before I used Telediscount I thought there must be a catch at only 1p/min so first I checked out there website where it is all fully explained in plain English. After you have used the pre-fix number to ring Australia all you get is that number showing on your normal bill, be it BT or whoever, charged at 1p/min, no other charges at all, simple.

Why pay 4p when you can pay 1p, there are no contracts, you dont even change provider, just dail the number and your off.

Andy
Why?

1. 0844 861 4141 plus 00-61-3- 9xxx-xxxx = 24 numbers to dial Melbourne!
2. I'm happy with the complete service I get from One-Tel!

One other nifty thing with One-Tel is that I have a 'Home and Away' card. I can dial from any touchpad phone in most countries in the world and the call goes onto my bill in the UK so I can make calls basically anywhere without money. (small charge in addition to normal rates).

Each to their own though, it will be useful for some to know cheaper alternatives.

OzTennis
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by OzTennis
Why?

2. I'm happy with the complete service I get from One-Tel!

One other nifty thing with One-Tel is that I have a 'Home and Away' card. I can dial from any touchpad phone in most countries in the world and the call goes onto my bill in the UK so I can make calls basically anywhere without money. (small charge in addition to normal rates).

Each to their own though, it will be useful for some to know cheaper alternatives.

OzTennis
Oz mate,

no ones knocking you for being happy with onetel, but some folk might just want to make a simple call at the cheapest price

if you ring Oz a lot it makes quite a difference.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:11 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Oz mate,

no ones knocking you for being happy with onetel, but some folk might just want to make a simple call at the cheapest price

Thanks for the info I have just put my Mum and Dad onto it, they are delighted. Does Oz pay £4 a pint in his local rather than trying a very similar pint for just a quid.......................thought not.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oz mate,

No worries Andy, I'm just indicating how happy I am with One-Tel! I did say each to their own and the cheaper service would be useful for some.

OzTennis
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:44 pm
Class 2 Guru

Same deal with One.Tel. What am I missing? Have we set ours up wrongly?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Same deal with One.Tel. What am I missing? Have we set ours up wrongly?
Sorry Andy, just addressing Mark's query on One-Tel!

We've had 3 different systems with One-Tel over the years. To begin with we dialled a 4 number prefix and then the number you wanted to ring; then we attached a little box to the phone called a PhonePal and calls automatically went through One-Tel; then we had an electrical storm and the satellite digibox, the phone line and the PhonePal were put out of action, rather than replace the PhonePal we filled in a form, sent it to BT and now all calls (UK and international) go through One-Tel. We can also nominate other phones (eg mother-in-law's) whereby we use a 4 number prefix and our calls go onto our home phone bill. Give 'em a call or check out the website if you want to make a change. They have a friends and family thing with 10 most used numbers and none of our UK calls are over 2p a minute.

OzTennis
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:34 pm
Class 2 Guru

Sorry Andy, just addressing Mark's query on One-Tel!
I'm sure Andy won't mind, this is all to do with cheap calls after all!

To begin with we dialled a 4 number prefix
4??? By 'eck, we've got to dial 10!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:21 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Don't forget the small print..
Rates are quoted in pence per minute and calls will be rounded to the nearest penny and are charged per minute. A 5p call connection charge applies to each call from a landline and a 10p call connection charge when calling from a mobile. Rates shown are based on the 0845/0207 access numbers (which will be charged by your service providers at Lo-call and standard national call rates respectively). 0800 free-phone access is available at an additional 3p per minute to the quoted rates

So aswell as the 1p per minute cost to the provider, Do you also pay the normal BT (or whoever) local call rate, for the duration of the call ? I'm not sure what that is these days. The free Phone access rate becomes 4p pm + connection. Not sure about the mobile call portion though ? !

One Tel is a flat 4p with no extras.
I call the 0207 number from my mobile and use free minutes So for me at anyrate it works well and is only 1p a minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.