Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap calls from Oz mobile to UK???

Cheap calls from Oz mobile to UK???

Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:34 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap calls from Oz mobile to UK???

Just wondered if anyone knows a way to get cheap calls phoning a UK landline from an Australian mobile?

The phone cards, e.g. DayBreak only give cheap rates from an Australian landline to the UK.

But I would love cheap rates from an Australian mobile to the UK.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gina
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cheap calls from Oz mobile to UK???

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Just wondered if anyone knows a way to get cheap calls phoning a UK landline from an Australian mobile?

The phone cards, e.g. DayBreak only give cheap rates from an Australian landline to the UK.

But I would love cheap rates from an Australian mobile to the UK.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gina
Try Jajah.com. Haven't used it from a mobile myself, but it might be cheaper. the only thing is, your mobile would need to be internet enabled for you to start a call off.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about mobiles but if you have a computer and want dead cheap calls you could try Skype
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:21 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this article in The Australian the other day - I think it may be relevant:
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/...013037,00.html

See also: https://www.mynetfone.com.au/

Best regards.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:23 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

and ... https://www.mynetfone.com.au/residen...res/on-the-go/

Best regards.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:07 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Alan and others!

Unfortunately, we won't have internet access because the rental has no phone line. Therefore can't use Skype or Jajah or VoIP (all three need a phoneline and broadband access to set it up initially). We'll be dependent on the mobile until our container arrives and we move into unfurnished rental/own home (and MIL expects a phone call every other day).

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Sep 28th 2007 at 11:17 am.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:50 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzy
Try Jajah.com. Haven't used it from a mobile myself, but it might be cheaper. the only thing is, your mobile would need to be internet enabled for you to start a call off.
Jajah will cast you 0.092p/min to call a UK landline from your Aussie Mobile to a UK landline.

Neil.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Jajah will cast you 0.092p/min to call a UK landline from your Aussie Mobile to a UK landline.
Yep, I know. But you need an internet connection to register/initiate the call.

Gina
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

When we arrived I bought a vodafone sim card and topped up with $49. This gave me $310 worth of credit. I then dialled the local access number and used the daybreak card. Not ideal but better than dialling directly overseas.

Good Luck

Galba
Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:31 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Yep, I know. But you need an internet connection to register/initiate the call.

Gina
Sorry.... You do NOT need an internet connection to initiate the Jajah call from your Mobile phone, you need it to initiate the call from your landline.

Go to the Jajah web site and download the Java application which will be sent to your mobile phone. You can set up a Jajah account from an internet cafe and put some credit on to get you started. We use automatic top-up, every time our credit gets to £1.50 it gets
topped up to £10.00 via credit card.

To ininitiatehe call from the mobile, you start the Java application and make the call, you phone will ring (just like the land line) and then the phone will ring that you are calling.

I use the Java application to make calls to the UK from my company mobile which has international calls barred... that way I can make the calls to the UK at 0.092p per/min. It probably isn't the cheapest option (not really researched) by we use Jajah so much, it's just very coconvenient