Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap (but reliable!) 2nd hand car

Cheap (but reliable!) 2nd hand car

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Dave_Kent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheap (but reliable!) 2nd hand car

I can't believe it's only 6 sleeps now until we're off to Oz!! And the house looks like a bomb has gone off - I hope those packers know their stuff!

The wife and I are settling in Brisbane but flying in initially to Sydney to spend a week or so in the Wollongong area with family and friends. We are thinking about buying a 2nd-hand car in the Wollongong area and driving up to Brisbane over 3 or 4 days to see a bit of the coast on the way up - rather than flying (We'll need a car in Bris anyway.)

So, here are my questions;

1. Can we realistically buy a reliable 2nd hand estate (station wagon) for around $10,000 (£5,000)

2. Is there any problem with having a NSW registered car in QLD?

3. Is the drive achievable/sensible? or should we just fly to Bris and buy a car when we get there. We have romantic notions of a long coastal drive, admiring the sun and the scenery . . . like the Griswald's vacation - but without the mishaps

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom. We'll see you all soon!!!!

Dave
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:25 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap (but reliable!) 2nd hand car

1 - Hmm... Buy privately and get it inspected... I'd avoid any dealers, their warranty (if any, pretty sure in NSW over 160,000km's gets you none!) is worth zip... They'll tell you you get x years but you'll soon work out that to get it you have to have it serviced every 5,000Km's with them at some silly price...

2 - Dunno, but if it was me I'd deffo want a car registered in the state I was living in... you can transfer but it's obviously hassle...

3 - Yeah, done it a couple of times... take a few days, it's a pleasant experience... Although your last idea of flying to Brissy and buying a car there is probably your best bet...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent
I can't believe it's only 6 sleeps now until we're off to Oz!! And the house looks like a bomb has gone off - I hope those packers know their stuff!

The wife and I are settling in Brisbane but flying in initially to Sydney to spend a week or so in the Wollongong area with family and friends. We are thinking about buying a 2nd-hand car in the Wollongong area and driving up to Brisbane over 3 or 4 days to see a bit of the coast on the way up - rather than flying (We'll need a car in Bris anyway.)

1. Can we realistically buy a reliable 2nd hand estate (station wagon) for around $10,000 (£5,000)

3. Is the drive achievable/sensible? or should we just fly to Bris and buy a car when we get there. We have romantic notions of a long coastal drive, admiring the sun and the scenery . . . like the Griswald's vacation - but without the mishaps

Dave
Ha Ha Ha........the Griswalds!!!! i think Chevy Chase is great. mind you remember, their vacation normaly ended up with their car and belongings flying off the road over a fence!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

we did and loved it
you get 6 months to register your car in qld but we waited til the nsw one ran out 11 months with no problems
its not really a coastal route allthough it looks like it on the map I dont think we saw the sea til qld
worth it though we did it slow with 2 overnights in cheap motels

driving time is about 11 hours total was a bit fustrating with the low speeds about 55 mph on average
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:58 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
1 - Hmm... Buy privately and get it inspected... I'd avoid any dealers, their warranty (if any, pretty sure in NSW over 160,000km's gets you none!) is worth zip... They'll tell you you get x years but you'll soon work out that to get it you have to have it serviced every 5,000Km's with them at some silly price...
)

.... but at least if you buy through a dealer you will be guaranteed that the car is not encumbered with any money owing. That is the risk that you will take buying privately, where Australian law allows for the car to be repossessed by the lender, even if YOU bought with good faith, if there is still any monies on it owing by the previous owner.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Crikey! All good advice - thanks folks. I think we are rather taken with the idea of the drive up but will definitely go the dealer route. We have friends in the Wollongong area so I'm sure they will look after us

Thanks again folks. Only 6 sleeps to go
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Make that 5 apparently. I'm an idiot (the wife says!)
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:27 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
.... but at least if you buy through a dealer you will be guaranteed that the car is not encumbered with any money owing. That is the risk that you will take buying privately, where Australian law allows for the car to be repossessed by the lender, even if YOU bought with good faith, if there is still any monies on it owing by the previous owner.
Same in the UK I'm sure... and there must be a register you can check...
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

definitely get a used Toyota Camry, lots available for $10,000

they call it the mechanics nightmare since they rarely break down, been using a Toyota since 1981 and they ARE good
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

Defnitely try and get a toyota - toyota anything. I sold my toyota conquest with 100 000.00 km's on the clock to my sister in law - and she put another 100 000,00 km's on the clock. Other than the regular services which were very reasonable all I did was change the tires and battery. Best car I ever owned.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Have a look here www.AutoTrader.com.au it will give you some idea of what you can buy for your money
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent

Dave
sorry to hijack your thread but are you flying on Thurs? We fly Wed but I've just seen you are from Kent so guessing you will go from Heathrow any way,we go from Manchester.If you can wade through what was going on in my head before I tried to burble it all in type, I thought we might be flying at same time but obviously we won't be. We are going to Brisbane tho' and I also now read you are going to Sydney first,aaargh! Have a good flight and hope all goes well for you and that I can sort my brain out before we fly!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Good luck to you too Babs. Apart from the days, the airports and the destinations it was quite a coincidence

Let's stay in touch via here though - we'll be (finally) arriving in Brisbane around the 22nd.

Have you decided which part of Brissy you are going to settle in yet?

Bon voyage
Dave
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

I've done the drive from Sydney to Gold Coast in one go a number of times... Although not exactly the same route, it's most of it.

I'd do the drive if you reckon you're up for it. It'll get you in the good old Aussie habit of doing long road trips. From Brisbane there are a bunch of great family holidays you can do within one or two days drive north so getting into the habit early will pay off in your quest for true Aussie experiences!

On the state of registration... It's a little annoying changing states but we lived in Qld for 2.5 years with Vic plates once!!!

Another car to look at would be a Mitsubishi Verada or the like or a Subaru..

Best of luck!

I've very jealous of you being days away from your big move... We're all set to go - migrating to the Gold Coast (again!!) This time 'til death do us part!! But we're stuck on the not-too-small snag of not being able to sell our London flat in this ghastly property market!!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

We were very lucky (I like to pretend we were smart ) and sold our place at the end of last year and lived in a rented house this year.

Good luck selling your flat - it's not easy at the moment. But I'll cool down some beer and wine for when you finally get there! It will go quickly enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.