Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cheap Brisbane Suburbs

Cheap Brisbane Suburbs

Old Aug 1st 2004, 6:15 am
ABCDiamond

Default Cheap Brisbane Suburbs

Yesterdays QLD Courier Mail shows the Brisbane areas 10 lowest prices property suburbs.

Suburb and 2004 Median sale prices:

Carole Park $ 150,000
Inala $ 183,000
Darra $ 202,500
Acacia Ridge $ 220,000
Rocklea $ 231,000
Durack $ 243,000
Bald Hills $ 256,500
Ellen Grove $ 263,000
Zillmere $ 265,000
Doolandella $ 266,500

Old Aug 1st 2004, 7:38 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Thanks Diamond.......get me map out later.

plum
Old Aug 1st 2004, 8:50 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Doolandella and Ellen Grove are a bit of a mystery. Some seriously big acreages and above in those areas. Must be something else dragging them down.

Before someone asks, there's no Woodridge or Kingston in that list 'cos they're in Logan City, not Brisbane.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 9:11 am
ABCDiamond

I must admit, I did wonder why Woodridge wasn't there.

High concentration of Housing commision houses in at least some of these areas.

But some comments, in the paper, say that the areas may be getting better.

It reminds me a bit about Mt Druitt in West Sydney. Now the old houses are being knocked down, and decent ones being built.

I still prefer the Bayside though

Old Aug 1st 2004, 9:30 am
o_0

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I must admit, I did wonder why Woodridge wasn't there.

High concentration of Housing commision houses in at least some of these areas.

But some comments, in the paper, say that the areas may be getting better.

It reminds me a bit about Mt Druitt in West Sydney. Now the old houses are being knocked down, and decent ones being built.

I still prefer the Bayside though
Ah, the row upon row of fibro houses that was Mt. Druitt. Weren't most of them railway worker homes originally?

ABCDiamond, any ideas why Doolandella and Ellen Grove are low priced suburbs? Like I wrote before, it seems odd as there's lot of acreages and hobby farms there. Unless it's the out of the way-ness or being close to Inala that does it.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 9:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ulujain
Ah, the row upon row of fibro houses that was Mt. Druitt. Weren't most of them railway worker homes originally?

ABCDiamond, any ideas why Doolandella and Ellen Grove are low priced suburbs? Like I wrote before, it seems odd as there's lot of acreages and hobby farms there. Unless it's the out of the way-ness or being close to Inala that does it.
I don't actually know anything about Doodandella, but being near Inala would have some logic to it.
Here is an example house for sale there House for sale

And the cheapest I can find in Ellen Grove is $269k. I also checked on price movements here, and Ellen Grove has gone up by 36% in the last 12 months to 30 June. And Doolandella up by 44% !!

I'm not sure about the old Mt Druitt houses, but I did feel that its reputation was improving, albeit slowly. I just checked the median price there aswell, and it's only $260k. QLD has shot ahead !!

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:19 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap Brisbane Suburbs

Hi ABC

We have been looking at the Zillmere area.

Any reason why that area would be so low?
Anything I dont know about dragging the area down? Like nuclear power plants, sewage farms etc.

TT

Yesterdays QLD Courier Mail shows the Brisbane areas 10 lowest prices property suburbs.

Suburb and 2004 Median sale prices:

Carole Park $ 150,000
Inala $ 183,000
Darra $ 202,500
Acacia Ridge $ 220,000
Rocklea $ 231,000
Durack $ 243,000
Bald Hills $ 256,500
Ellen Grove $ 263,000
Zillmere $ 265,000
Doolandella $ 266,500

Last edited by TrickyTree; Aug 2nd 2004 at 10:37 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Zillmere is one hell of a fantastic suburb...............if you like living in one of the biggest industrial estates in Northern Brisbane!!!!

My vote is for Inala........although I have heard of Redcliffe being called the Inala of the North!....and that was from a policeman.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

ABCD

Woodridge is now classed as an UP and COMING suburb:scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Sharpy67
ABCD

Well, it couldn't really be classed as going down could it

Zillmere ? Don't know much about it, actually I didnt even know where it was till I looked at the map just now.

It doesnt look that bad an area, looking at the map, right next to a QLD University Campus, Anyone here from Zillmere ?

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:36 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

The reason for these suburbs being the lowest priced is that they are largely industrial areas.

There was quite a stigma attached to Doolandella and Ellengrove due to its proximity to Inala and also because it was/is too remote insofar as public transport, shops, schools, etc., is concerned. There are actually some rather nice properties there, but it is also an area with lots of dog kennels, catteries, etc., as the town planning zoning allows for those types of activities/businesses.

The Brisbane City Council's website has a "Getting To Know Brisbane" section of maps here together with "Migrant Welcome Kits" in several languages.

Last edited by ProofReader; Aug 2nd 2004 at 10:40 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:44 am
o_0

ABCD

LOL, it's been called that since I first lived there in 1982. To be fair, my parents didn't know too much about the area before they moved there.

It was a "developing" suburb. Much the way Zambia is a developing nation, I guess.

North of Smith Rd, there's actually some semi-reasonable places. No St. Lucia mind you, but it's not all fibro housing commission.

I might actually go out on a limb here and state that Woodridge has more going for it than Inala.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Zillmere is one hell of a fantastic suburb...............if you like living in one of the biggest industrial estates in Northern Brisbane!!!!

My vote is for Inala........although I have heard of Redcliffe being called the Inala of the North!....and that was from a policeman.
Deadcliffe to you. I lived in the area for a while (around two years) , until recently. Your policeman friend is right.. or perhaps he is wrong like me.
I moved out of there a little over a year ago now. OOh how lovely ... you have a high amount of hoons there and break in's no matter what people think. No matter if you are living in a nice "posh, expensive" area of Redcliffe ( which I was). People see what they want to see sometimes.

I moved there in the first place because I saw surfaces.. looked ok . we were in a what you call an upmarket home in the area ( like most people here you look for bay areas)

I don't call it deadclifff for no reason by the way.

actually depression bay ( Deception bay) is the no go area

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 3rd 2004 at 4:06 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:59 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Well, it couldn't really be classed as going down could it

Zillmere ? Don't know much about it, actually I didnt even know where it was till I looked at the map just now.

It doesnt look that bad an area, looking at the map, right next to a QLD University Campus, Anyone here from Zillmere ?

I'm in Bracken Ridge which is the suburb next to Zillmere. Zillmere is full of a lot of council housing which brings the average down I think, plus there's nothing really there; a few shops, a state school, train station (cant think of much industry, so must have missed that part right out!!!) The area itself isn't really rundown or anything though IMO. I only ever catch the train from there, nothing else. .Just one of those places you kinda 'drive through' and onto the next place without really noticing