Reload this Page >

Chatswood Area & UWS

Chatswood Area & UWS

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

SheilatheKookaburraQueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chatswood Area & UWS

Hello to everyone!

We are new to the website and have a few questions to put out to you and would appreciate any feedback. We emigrated to Canada about 5 years ago, just moved across country to Vancouver about 2 months ago, and now my husband has been asked if he would be willing to work in Australia for a couple of years. MMmmmmmmm........that didn't take much pondering.

He would be working in Chatswood and I am considering studying at the University of Western Sydney. Can anyone recommend areas that would make it easy for travel back and forth? Is there a reliable train/bus service to use? We are a couple in our mid 30's with no children and would be looking to rent a one bedroom apartment.

Also, in terms of vehicles.......how difficult is it to lease a vehicle for a couple of years?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Shirley & Andrew
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chatswood Area & UWS

Hi,

I don't know the answer to your question as I am in the US, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. We've got a truly wonderful bunch of members here and I know someone will be along to answer your query soon.

Regards

Sue
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:51 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SheilatheKookaburraQueen
Hello to everyone!

We are new to the website and have a few questions to put out to you and would appreciate any feedback. We emigrated to Canada about 5 years ago, just moved across country to Vancouver about 2 months ago, and now my husband has been asked if he would be willing to work in Australia for a couple of years. MMmmmmmmm........that didn't take much pondering.

He would be working in Chatswood and I am considering studying at the University of Western Sydney. Can anyone recommend areas that would make it easy for travel back and forth? Is there a reliable train/bus service to use? We are a couple in our mid 30's with no children and would be looking to rent a one bedroom apartment.

Also, in terms of vehicles.......how difficult is it to lease a vehicle for a couple of years?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Shirley & Andrew
Here's a few links to check out for a couple of hours or so...

They're city guides, travel info, maps, etc... all you'll need to start with...
There's a fair few others on here that live in and around that area that should be along soonish... though might have to wait until tomorrow 'cos it can go a bit quiet in here at the weekends... And leasing a car for a couple of years shouldn't be too hard, though you might look at buying a second hand one and selling later... cars hold their values over here way better than many places...

Have fun...

CityHobo

Wikitravel

Whereis

Old Aug 24th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The University of Western Sydney is one of those newish unis that doesn't have a central campus - there are six campuses scattered all over western Sydney (Blacktown, Bankstown, Campbelltown, Parramatta, Hawkesbury and Penrith). They are many miles apart from each other. The campus you attend will probably depend on what you're studying.

If you know where you'll be studying we can give a clearer idea of how to get there.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

SheilatheKookaburraQueen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your responses. I will spend the afternoon reviewing the websites. The campus would be the Paramatta campus.

Another thought we have had........that it may be feasible to live closer to downtown as travelling out to Paramatta and Chatswood would be going against the heavy morning and late afternoon traffic. What do you reckon?

Thanks,

Shirley
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Try Ryde or Epping for good halfway points between Parramatta and Chatswood. Stick to rail locations if you can and best of luck with it all
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacque
Try Ryde or Epping for good halfway points between Parramatta and Chatswood. Stick to rail locations if you can and best of luck with it all
Agree with Ryde/Epping but the Parramatta Campus is on the corner of Victoria Road/ James Ruse Drive so a bus from either place would be better than the train. You would get off at the door. West Ryde is a possibility. Train at door to Chatswood and 5 minutes bus drive to uni. Hope this helps and doesn't add to confusion!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Agree with Ryde/Epping but the Parramatta Campus is on the corner of Victoria Road/ James Ruse Drive so a bus from either place would be better than the train. You would get off at the door. West Ryde is a possibility. Train at door to Chatswood and 5 minutes bus drive to uni. Hope this helps and doesn't add to confusion!
Ah yes Gibbo you're right about that! Shouldn't have any problems renting there either, though it depends on what you're after specifically.
Epping has lots of nice older homes and a plethora of newer units etc around the station whilst Ryde is similar but also has the benefit of being a little closer to the water and suburbs like Gladesville, Hunters Hill (which is lovely and where our own Cate Blanchett and other celebs live) are nearby.
Lots of choices really.