Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chasing a debt owed to me in UK..need advice

Chasing a debt owed to me in UK..need advice

Old Jul 27th 2004, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Chasing a debt owed to me in UK..need advice

Without going into too much detail for personal reasons, there is a private individual in the UK who owes me 800GBP. Initially they had told me they would repay the amount by October this year.

I have just received an email from them stating that they are refusing to pay the full amount and will now only pay me 600 GBP and only at 10GBP per week via paypal!!!

Is there anyway i can persue this debt legally as i am now living in Australia?
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:45 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chasing a debt owed to me in UK..need advice

Originally posted by podgypossum

I;m sure you could through the small claims court. I still suspect you may be better off financially accepting their suggestion however.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

To be honest i really doubt their integrity to stick to what htey have offered to do.

I guess we'll have to put it down to experience...lesson learnt...dont be such a softie
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:35 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Without going into too much detail for personal reasons, there is a private individual in the UK who owes me 800GBP. Initially they had told me they would repay the amount by October this year.

I have just received an email from them stating that they are refusing to pay the full amount and will now only pay me 600 GBP and only at 10GBP per week via paypal!!!

A horse's head on the pillow seems to frighten them.

But seriously, if you want their car done, just let me know. It does give a bit of satisfaction knowing that they've got to pay the money one way or another!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:39 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

If the individual is a friend, or so callled friend, chasing a NON payers debt is difficult enough. However if they are suggesting that they will repay an amount they "think" is fair, and are offering terms, it is even more difficult to pursue this balance of the debt.

Providing they have agreed to pay an amount, and agree the debt, its virtually impossible abd much more expensive to recover the debt in whole, via other sources.

Also as soon as you agree in principle their terms, you are implying without prejudice that their terms are fair.

It may be easier, to ask them to set up a BACS transfer straight into your account on a monthly basis, coupled with a "declaration to pay" letter from a solicitor, that you get drawn up.

Steve
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:51 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got details of the loan in writing (ie amount, when to be repaid etc), otherwise I doubt you could prove much taking or threatening to take a legal route, and would then come down to your powers of negotation.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

i have details of it in writing as he has emailed me admitting he owes it and what for and we also have a written receipt for what we paid for.

But to be honest i doubt its worth the effort as others have said... we have more important things on our mind right now..i'm just so angry at being betrayed.

Steve Bannister your PM box is full
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:03 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

You couldn't lend me $10,000 PP could you??
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

of course...cheque or bankers draft?...would anyone else like to take advantage of my soft nature?
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:31 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

In moments like this i like to be reminded of Karma - What you do to someone, somebody else will do to you further down the road 3 times worse !!

if you don't mind writing it off then just send him a letter explaining how let down you feel and make sure you put that saying at the bottom, then when ever something bad happens to him in the future he will remember your letter ...

Just an idea even if it is a silly one ...
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:45 am
Just Joined

tmichael is an unknown quantity at this point

You can sue through county court on the internet. Go http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/ and you can start the whole procedure over the internet.

The defendant is notified, if they contest the claim they can require a court hearing at their local court. You can submit your claim in writiung and the fact that you are geographically restricted from appearing will be taken into account.

However suing in CC is a fraught process it also has costs involved not only in suing but in collection costs. You may be better taking the offer and forgetting it.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally posted by tmichael
You can sue through county court on the internet. Go http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/ and you can start the whole procedure over the internet.

The defendant is notified, if they contest the claim they can require a court hearing at their local court. You can submit your claim in writiung and the fact that you are geographically restricted from appearing will be taken into account.

However suing in CC is a fraught process it also has costs involved not only in suing but in collection costs. You may be better taking the offer and forgetting it.

Also, if they then default after having a decision made at the County Court they would have a CCJ (County Court Judgement) registered against them. This can be viewed on the credit check system that any lender views before lending them any money. However, it won't stop them for borrowing elsewhere they would just have to pay more for the privilege.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by tmichael

I am in the process of suing someone for an unpaid debt (work related) through Money Claim Online on the above link. It will cost you £50 is very straighforward and they will get a notice served on them within days.

This could be enough to force them to pay in full or they have to return a defence. As said above, getting the cash is the tricky bit but IMO well worth giving them some grief if they have screwed you over !!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanx for your help everyone.

To be honest we have far more important things to worry about right now. I just spouted this thread off in a rage when i got hte email. I really havent got hte fight to argue with the guy right now, so will just see how it pans out. But it is interesting to find out you can do something from here if you want to.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:08 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by stephenwhite68
In moments like this i like to be reminded of Karma - What you do to someone, somebody else will do to you further down the road 3 times worse !!

if you don't mind writing it off then just send him a letter explaining how let down you feel and make sure you put that saying at the bottom, then when ever something bad happens to him in the future he will remember your letter ...

Just an idea even if it is a silly one ...

Yeah...you go on believing that and everything will be just fine.........NOT!!

As karma can only be dished out by the cosmos and the fact that the cosmos is infinite, you'd have to wait a very long time! All you are talking about is revenge in a different form. All I'm talking about is helping karma along a bit!

REVENGE!!! ...That's what it's all about!

Last edited by SteveBannister; Jul 27th 2004 at 12:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.