Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Charles and Camilla

Wikiposts

Charles and Camilla

Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Charles and Camilla

Originally Posted by renth
He's a big eared wally and she's an old boot. Britain can have 'em the sooner this place becomes a republic the better.

.......Carefull there buddy.....your gonna be 57 some day.......
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:58 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Charles and Camilla

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Chubby???? Have you got astigmatism?? (just jokin', I agree she was more normal spec when they got engaged, tho the slabbing-on of makeup probably helped make her look more rounded)

My sister (a very strong monarchist ) & I both met her on separate occasions, & we thought she was the most vacuuous person we'd ever encountered. I went thru the 'yar-boo-puke' business with this first time round . I'm not a royalist at all myself, but:

1) Camilla has a brain in her head, & is not likely to spend all her time sh*gging the guards, policemen, servants etc, while pretending to be a 'saint' like Diana did. What you see is what you get.

and

2) What is the realistic alternative to the Royals? Blair? Bush-type-president? as head of state?

I'm really up for discussing sensible suggestions on this - the concept of the 'royal family' is outmoded to me (unless they can be a 'bicycling monarchy' like the Dutch), but let's face it, the alternatives are a bit scary.

Any good ideas for who should be head of state anyone? (good ideas = more constructive than the 'yar-boo-puke' approach )

Anya.
Oh, come on, people, we tried a Republic once and didn't like it, remember?
I think you have to forget the individuals and look at the monarchy itself; personally I can't see an alternative that promises such stability in society.
And mama mia, if Australia had been a republic in the eighties, the corrupt but highly popular Alan Bond would have been elected to the Presidency by popular acclaim - and that would have been a fate worse than death for the country.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:28 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Oh, come on, people, we tried a Republic once and didn't like it, remember?
I think you have to forget the individuals and look at the monarchy itself; personally I can't see an alternative that promises such stability in society.
And mama mia, if Australia had been a republic in the eighties, the corrupt but highly popular Alan Bond would have been elected to the Presidency by popular acclaim - and that would have been a fate worse than death for the country.
It would have been no worse than Jaques Chirac or Silvio Berlusconi, both total crooks.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lesleys
..are getting married.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4252795.stm

Did you need to know?

Lesley
Who cares?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:34 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Well....I for one am happy for them. Imagine being a part of a family that on one hand is expected to adhere to traditions, but to also be completely modern. EVERY little thing you do is instantly worldwide news. Who cares what they look like - let them be happy. Charles did what he thought he had to way back then....

It amazes me that so many refer to the royal family as free loading spongers. Just think of how much revenue they actually generate in terms of tourism. If there was no more royal family, all those castles etc. etc would (in time) lose their appeal. Money for maintenance would dry up and they would slowly fall to ruin and with that people would stop travelling to see these sights. Other than the pubs - what else has England got to offer to someone on holiday?

I couldn't think of anything worse than Tony Blair with more power than he has.....and quite apart from anything else the royal family are ordained by God..... So that settles it doesn't it?!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:43 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
If there was no more royal family, all those castles etc. etc would (in time) lose their appeal. Money for maintenance would dry up and they would slowly fall to ruin and with that people would stop travelling to see these sights.
What about the chateaux in France like Versailles?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:03 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello Anya,

1) Are you saying that Camilla will be sha88ing the guards without pretending to be a saint? I think the Royal Family as a whole (and particularly Charles) should take responsibility for what Diana became.

I suspect Camilla probably doesn't give a t*ss what the press think of her & therefore won't go all doe-eyed and cutesy on us. Dunno about whether or not she will have to assume the Royal Wifey Mode of Saintliness if she does go in for guard-sh*gging though Time as they say will tell....

I think the rot set in years back when the Queen Mother started interfering in the young Royals' lives and telling them who they could/couldn't marry. She has a lot to answer for in setting up whole string of arranged and unhappy marriages. Charles clearly didn't want to marry Diana, but was forced into it to please his Gran. His worst crime is that he failed to use the 2 words f*** and o** at the right point & save a lot of people a lot of misery (especially the long-suffering British Public ).

2) I like the Irish presidential model. In this case a President Blair would not be scary as the president does not have any executive control (unlike the US and French presidents). It is similar to the Australian Governor General except the people get to vote for the president; so it could be easily implemented in Oz. It could also be easily implemented in the UK - just replace the monarch with an elected president who just does the same job (constitutionally speaking).
It sounds a good idea. Who gets the Exec control though?

Also, how could we be sure that it wasn't open to corruption (as many seemingly 'democratic systems' are), and, given that most people in the UK claim they loathe Blair but still vote for him, how would we get round the problems of voter apathy & shortage of suitable candidates (have you thought of applying, Alistair?!)?

Some kind of presidential system does seem to be the answer, but it would only be a *better* alternative if the President was more accountable to the people on a more short-term and enforceable basis, for example, with regular 'performance reviews' or votes of confidence to be held.

Cheers,
Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Feb 10th 2005 at 8:08 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:06 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jeannie
.......Carefull there buddy.....your gonna be 57 some day.......
Nah, Jeannie. It's a well known fact that all of us who frequent this forum are extremely attractive people, with amazing good looks and stunning physiques (that, or we've haggled out a great deal with a decent plastic surgeon )

Oh, and none of us are over 25, either.

Anya.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:06 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
What about the chateaux in France like Versailles?
good point... Carcassone is also impressive. Maybe the French don't begrudge their tax francs going into the upkeep though.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:12 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by anya4oz

It sounds a good idea. Who gets the Exec control though?

Also, how could we be sure that it wasn't open to corruption (as many seemingly 'democratic systems' are), and, given that most people in the UK claim they loathe Blair but still vote for him, how would we get round the problems of voter apathy & shortage of suitable candidates (have you thought of applying, Alistair?!)?

Some kind of presidential system does seem to be the answer, but it would only be a *better* alternative if the President was more accountable to the people on a more short-term and enforceable basis, for example, with regular 'performance reviews' or votes of confidence to be held.

Cheers,
Anya.
Hello,

The executive control could remain the same as it is today (in Oz and UK). The president of Ireland is just a figurehead and in that respect she is just like the Queen. She (the president) does not get involved in the running of the country; that is left to the parliament and the executive formed by the prime minister. The president is directly elected by the people.

The Irish system could be easily implemented in Oz and the UK. In Oz, the Queen of Australia could be deposed and the office of the Governor General could be changed to that of the president. In the UK, the Queen could again be deposed and a new office of president created with all the same constitutional powers of the Queen.

It is noteworthy that the Queen’s current power to disband parliament would be more effective under a president because the president would have the public’s mandate to use it. If the Queen ever needed to genuinely use this power I think an unholy mess would ensue. Although the use of this power did cause a hue and cry in Oz when used by GG Kerr against the Whitlam government, it did provide a clean process for the election of next government.

Regards
Alistair
PS: I'm not sure I can be a candidate in the UK at the moment.

Last edited by kirsty&al; Feb 10th 2005 at 9:16 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:50 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Charles and Camilla

Although the use of this power did cause a hue and cry in Oz when used by GG Kerr against the Whitlam government, it did provide a clean process for the election of next government.
Since when did we need the permanently drunken representative of a foreign head of state to provide us with "a clean process for the election of next government." ??
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:01 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
Other than the pubs - what else has England got to offer to someone on holiday?
Warwick castle
Stratford upon Avon
Boughton on the Water
Bath
The Cotswalds
Stone henge
The peak district
The lake district

I'm gonna stop now befoe i get homesick :scared:
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:18 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
Warwick castle
Stratford upon Avon
Boughton on the Water
Bath
The Cotswalds
Stone henge
The peak district
The lake district

I'm gonna stop now befoe i get homesick :scared:

The road to Scotland.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
The road to Scotland.
YEP! just what the tourists wanna see, a load of gingers in pleated skirts chucking very big telegraph poles around.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:25 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
YEP! just what the tourists wanna see, a load of gingers in pleated skirts chucking very big telegraph poles around.

You can toss my caber anyday Hevs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.