Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Charges by mortgage lender to 'let' out your house

Charges by mortgage lender to 'let' out your house

Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all
Default Charges by mortgage lender to 'let' out your house

Hi, just wondered how much your mortgage lenders had charged you to 'allow' you to let out your house?

We are on a tracker and therefore on a good rate at the mo, but the abbey want £2400 to 'allow' us to let it out, and if we want to change this in the future and come back then the same fee will apply!

Someone just told me they only had to pay £100!

Thanks
Vicky
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Charges by mortgage lender to 'let' out your house

Royal Bank of Scotland just wanted us to complete a form and pay £100 processing fee. We then had permission to let for 2 years if we wanted.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

God, what a difference! We are appealing, but don't know what difference it will make.

Vicky
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Good luck! We were fortunate. Put the house on the market and were under offer quickly which we were surprised as so no renting in the end.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Shaundawn will become famous soon enough

We are the same as Kingseat...our lenders are allowing us to let for 2 years and charge £100.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:42 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

That sounds like an awful lot. I wonder if your mortgage lender is quoting you the amount to switch to a "buy to let" mortgage product.

I have rented out houses before and never paid a fee, I merely called the provider and informed them that my home would temporarily be rented out, and they said fine.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have just looked at the RNS website and they only want (I say only but in comparison to what Abbey want!) £1,999 to arrange a buy to let mortgage. I agree with the above poster. May be you have been quoted a fee for a complete new mortgage?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep. It does seem so. Have a look:

http://www.abbey.com/csgs/Satellite?...ACOM_TemplateG
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that - their letter states that we do not have to change from our tracker for 2 years then we would have to change to a buy to let mortgage, yet this is the exact amount they are charging us?

Right getting OH to ring them tomorrow, trouble is they are not very helpful over the phone!

Vicky
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

That is outrageous! Most lenders allow 2-3 years as if you sell before 3 years which many people do if things work out you won't be hit with capital gains tax.

Can you speak to a mortgage expert in the brach?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:09 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Our wanted to charge us mega bucks to change, but putting us on a buy to let mortgage, which would be an additional £250 a month!!! Kinda not told them we are renting . . .
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Thought about that too, but we'll see if OH gets anywhere on the phone today, if not will go into branch and speak to someone personally.

Thanks everyone x