Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing your name?

Changing your name?

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing your name?

Anyone know where to start and find information on changing my name back to my maiden name? I have had 2 name changes since then and would now like to go back to MY name.

Appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction

Cheers
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing your name?

Pretty sure you're still entitled to use your maiden name without any process to change it back. When my sister reverted to her maiden name, she just had to use her birth certificate and change everything she had in her married name (bank accounds, license, passport ect) back to her maiden name, but then was not legally allowed to use her married name again.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Pretty sure you're still entitled to use your maiden name without any process to change it back. When my sister reverted to her maiden name, she just had to use her birth certificate and change everything she had in her married name (bank accounds, license, passport ect) back to her maiden name, but then was not legally allowed to use her married name again.
OK thanks - does this cost then? I am thinking driving license? and what about passport?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Anyone know where to start and find information on changing my name back to my maiden name? I have had 2 name changes since then and would now like to go back to MY name.

Appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction

Cheers
To change my UK passport back I've been told I just need my birth certificate (my previous passport was in my maiden name), but a couple of credit card companies (NAB and Westpac) have refused to change it without an actual divorce certificate or an official name change certificate from the Registrar's Office
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks - does this cost then? I am thinking driving license? and what about passport?
Sorry, not sure about the cost, you'll probably have to make a few calls and just ask.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Lilia is just really niceLilia is just really niceLilia is just really niceLilia is just really niceLilia is just really niceLilia is just really niceLilia is just really niceLilia is just really niceLilia is just really nice

Hi there,

I also reverted back to my maiden name, I printed off 'A Deed Of Name Change' it had to be signed by 2 witnesses. The paperwork I copied was from a friend who had also changed his name, however via a solicitor ( $500.00) so the wording was legal. It cost me nothing & I've had no problem getting a new passport/ Residency or bank account.

I'm happy to forward you a copy of the wording..

It was easy & liberating!!!

Lilia
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilia
Hi there,

I also reverted back to my maiden name, I printed off 'A Deed Of Name Change' it had to be signed by 2 witnesses. The paperwork I copied was from a friend who had also changed his name, however via a solicitor ( $500.00) so the wording was legal. It cost me nothing & I've had no problem getting a new passport/ Residency or bank account.

Lilia
If only Queensland was as easy!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lilia
Hi there,

Lilia
Please - I would be very interested - can you pm me?

Sas
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:32 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You can change it by deed now, or you can wait until you're divorced, because that will cost you nothing.
You don't have to do it via a solicitor... you can do it yourself here:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/changeName...angeofName.htm

It's very easy. $150. A little more if it's considered urgent.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:40 am

Oh and once you have the certificate, you just take it to everywhere and your name is changed for free- driver's license, bank etc.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Oh and once you have the certificate, you just take it to everywhere and your name is changed for free- driver's license, bank etc.
Thanks TP - I am happy separated - I am waiting on the divorce to be started by him at some point. I can't be bothered

Just glad to be out of it allright now
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:41 am

Thanks TP - I am happy separated - I am waiting on the divorce to be started by him at some point. I can't be bothered

Well, separation for one year, then you can apply for the divorce as you know.

You can use your maiden name right away, if you want - but you can't change anything in the bank etc if you haven't done it legally.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Medicare change it no problem back to original with a birth certificate. You have one year post divorce to change passport Aussie back for free and you can also change driving licence once you have that as well. Like Polly said banks are the only other institution that seems to have had a problem. My UK passport not due for couple of years so don't know if I'll bother with that just yet.

Would have been a lot simpler if we hadn't been stupid enough to take their surname and just stuck with their own but then I'll never need to change mine again once it's back to the proper one...
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pproehann
Medicare change it no problem back to original with a birth certificate. You have one year post divorce to change passport Aussie back for free and you can also change driving licence once you have that as well. Like Polly said banks are the only other institution that seems to have had a problem. My UK passport not due for couple of years so don't know if I'll bother with that just yet.

Would have been a lot simpler if we hadn't been stupid enough to take their surname and just stuck with their own but then I'll never need to change mine again once it's back to the proper one...
me too - not gonna be that stupid again
Once bitten
twice stupid
3 times???? never
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

me too - not gonna be that stupid again
Once bitten
twice stupid
3 times???? never
I'll stick with once bitten, lost years of mine & sons life on same pathological lier , 3rd time quite agree no chance what so ever...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.